AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Growing up in the DC area, Myer-Emco had a sterling reputation for high end audio. As a kid, when Mom or Dad drove to the shopping center where M-E had their flagship store, I'd make a beeline to the front door, and had to be dragged from the rooms full of expensive audio gear. My first prchase from M-E was a set of Bose 901 speakers and the Carver "cube" amp to power them.

Sadly, M-E is closing, a victim of forums like this very one. As the article states, who needs knowlegable sales staff when the internet will provide all the information one needs. Price determines everything now.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021104729.html

· Registered
2,540 Posts
thats what happens with change. we are an ever evolving race that looks at dollars more than anything else. look at how big box stores has destroyed all the little guys like electronic shops and hardware stores. its life. sad, but the consumer wants things cheaper and cheaper and the internet has allowed for minimal profits and a plethora of info at one's fingertips. i laugh when i go into "high-end" audio shops now and talk to their sales associates. these guys know very little about what their selling or problems with particular models. when i have to tell them whats happening in the industry, no need for them to be "educating" people in a business where they are way behind the curve.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.