AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building an HTPC again and want to record OTA HDTV for playback on my NON-DVI HDTV. I previously owned the HiPix and therefore am familiar with its' performance.

I can get a used HiPix for $150, a used MYHD 100 for $185 or a new MYHD 120 for $289. I will not be needing the DVI output since my HDTV doesn't have that connection.

Which card should I get and why?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Reception wise, the 120 puts both the 100 and HiPix to shame, I have both the 120 and the HiPix and it is a definite differnce. Just because you do not need DVI(right now) just means that you do not need the DVI daughtercard for the 120, but it is available if you change your tv/projector in the future.

Jim

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Reception wise, the 120 puts both the 100 and HiPix to shame,..
That's possibly all I need to know in order to make a decision. I currently can receive all of the local HDTV stations from a tower farm approx 50 miles away from my house using my Samsung STBs. When I had my HiPix, I could get all the stations as well except that for NBC-HD I had to slightly bump my antenna about 5 degrees to the south which then made ABC-HD reception bad. With the Samsungs, I get them all without any moving of my huge attic antenna.

If the MD-120 is better than either of the other two for reception, then that would be good.

How is the integration of the 120 with TitanTV's use as a guide and programmed recording using that guide? The HiPix worked very well for this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"How is the integration of the 120 with TitanTV's use as a guide and programmed recording using that guide? The HiPix worked very well for this."

merc,

They work the same way.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Cliff.

Does the MYHD 120 also work the same way as the HiPix in that I can connect my Radeon 8500 to the MYHD and then use a single RGB/VGA type connection from the MYHD to my HDTV?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by merc
Thanks Cliff.

Does the MYHD 120 also work the same way as the HiPix in that I can connect my Radeon 8500 to the MYHD and then use a single RGB/VGA type connection from the MYHD to my HDTV?
Yes it does. I use a Radeon 9000 card and the DVI MDP-120 with both VGA and DVI loopback cables connected to the Radeon.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Hi Merc,

I have a Samsung SIR-T165 and a MyHD MD-120 fed from the same antenna, and I would say that the reception performance of the two is nearly identical. I have one station that is marginal. Sometimes both tuners pull it in clearly. However, when the signal is breaking up it it looks almost the same on both tuners. I have even used the s-video output of the SIR-T165 to compare the two images side by side using the TwinView feature of my Sony television.

-Dave

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Cliff and Dave.

I'm guessing I'll need to use some custom powerstrip resolutions to game through the RGB/VGA connector just as I did with the Hipix/Radeon combo.

I also have the T165 and if the MD-120 is as good for reception, and if I can control my Mits 2000u DVHS using my HTPC firewire connection, then I may even be able to sell my T165 to help pay for all this... :)

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
merc,

What chipset does your motherboard use? There is a problem with I865/I875 using hyperthreading CPUs and some VIA chipsets. The fix for the problems break DVHS tape support.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cliff,

This is only a P4 1.5GHz Intel CPU and does not support hyperthreading. I don't remember what the chipset is, but the MB is an Asus P4B266. Sounds like I should be Ok?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.