Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, and HELP, PLEASE!

I purchased a MyHD MDP120 card from Digital Connection after Christmas, and have been struggling with obtaining a stable installation on my HTPC. I am not attempting to do anything with the MyHD card except watch OTA and CATV channels. Recording and playback of .TS files or DVD content is not in the mix at this point in time.

My problems are three fold:

1) When you activate the MyHD app, the program will activate, but suddenly appears to minimize with no overlay window. If you try to activate the program again, you recieve a "MyHD already running" message dialog. This happens about 50% of the time. The only way to activate the program and actually see an overlay window is to reboot.

2) When trying to turn off the computer, the shut down sequence will hang, while displaying a "CRTCC cannot close" dialog box. Pressing "End Now" however, does not allow the PC to complete the shut down process. A google search returns some discussions of CRTCC as an indication of driver conflicts within windows ME, but I am running Windows XP.

3) I had the MyHD card installed into a PCI card slot it shared an IRQ with a Revo sound card. While watching DVD's on TheaterTek, the sound would start to drop out intermittently, finally becoming untolerable. A reboot would fix this for a while, but it would then come back. I have switched PCI slots for the MyHD card, and it now shares an IRQ with the video card. It's too soon to tell if this fixes the problem

Since I installed the MyHD card, I have attempted the following measures:

1) Changed PCI slots as mentioned above;

2) Uninstalled, and reinstalled the app and the various driver versions multiple times; I have also tried both the prebeta app and drivers off the DC website; I have also tried the latest app and beta drivers; The problem is consistent no matter which version of the app or drivers I have tried.

3) I upgraded my ATI video drivers to version 3.10--no difference.

I suspect a video driver or similar hardware\\device driver conflict. But nothing appears to be conflicted within Device Manager. My HTPC was rock solid and perfectly stable before installation of the MyHD card. I do love the PQ the MyHD provides from HD broadcasts. It's truly breathtaking. But I am not willing to sacrifice system stability for the addition of an HD capture card.

As a last resort, I suppose I will try a "nuke and pave" reinstallation of the operating system and apps. But I really don't want nor have time to deal with that at the moment.

If anyone has experienced these problems, or can offer any other suggestions before I resort to nuking my otherwise perfectly configured and operating system, I would appreciate your help.

Thanks, in advance! :)

FWIW:

Operating System: Windows XP, SP1 and all patches and updates installed.

Pentium 4 1.7 GHZ Processor

Intel 845 based controller chipset

512 MB SDRAM

ATI 7500 video card w/ Cat 3.10 drivers

Maudio Revolution Sound card - I don't remember which drivers but I have been using the same drivers for probably six months or more with no problems or issues. SPDIF out to external receiver.

Prolink PCI capture card with no drivers installed except for Dscaler;

No name 10\\100 base T network card;

Of course MyHD MDP 120 with all versions of the App and drivers installed.

TheaterTek DVD for DVD playback;

Main Lobby\\DVD Lobby for DVD library front end.

Girder for Remote Control integration.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"Girder for Remote Control integration."

Are you launching MyHD from the remote using a Girder command?

Run MyHD by clicking on the desktop icon and if it goes into "background mode" check the MyHD folder in the registry for BGMODE_START=1 and/or BGR_ACTIVE=1

You can rebuild WinXP (and preserve all installed programs) by running the install CD in "Repair" mode.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
"Girder for Remote Control integration."

Are you launching MyHD from the remote using a Girder command?

Run MyHD by clicking on the desktop icon and if it goes into "background mode" check the MyHD folder in the registry for BGMODE_START=1 and/or BGR_ACTIVE=1

You can rebuild WinXP (and preserve all installed programs) by running the install CD in "Repair" mode.
Thanks Cliff,

I have not yet integrated MyHD into my Girder file. I am launching with the desktop icon. BGMODE_START=0, and there is no BGR_ACTIVE Entry. :(

Any other suggestions? Would you like me to export my registry key and email it to you?

Thanks again for your assistance.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HyHD.exe is running as a background service, and my CPU utilization is running at 50% with no other applications running.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by schud
HyHD.exe is running as a background service, and my CPU utilization is running at 50% with no other applications running.
How did you determine it is running as a background service?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
How did you determine it is running as a background service?
I probably don't know what I'm talking about! ;) I thought it was running as a service because it is listed within Task Manager under the processes tab, but does not show up as a running application under the applications tab.

FWIW, attempting to "End Process" within task manager does nothing. MyHD.EXE cannot be shut down or closed.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Was the MyHD application running in background when you checked Task Manager.

Do you have a MyHD icon in the system tray (little blue TV screen) when it is running in background? If you do right click on the icon and select Restore MyHD. That should put up the overlay video and from the menu (right click on overlay) restore the Control Panel.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I figured it out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

Here's what fixed it. Under the "config panel," "capture setup," selecting the "Detail Options" button, and unchecking "Enable Wake-Up From Suspend" has apparantly fixed my problem completely. The program now opens and closes as you would expect, and the computer will shut down without complaint. Just as you would expect!

I haven't updated the BIOS on my MB in a long time. Considering my MB is at least two years old, I figure it may not be completely up to snuff in the power management category.

Cliff:

Thanks for your help. Your support on this board is very much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
That is pure crazy. That box is always check by default when MyHD is installed and this is the first time I've ever heard of this problem.

You never answered my question. Was there a MyHD icon in the system tray?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

You never answered my question. Was there a MyHD icon in the system tray?
No. When the program starts and then fails to provide the overlay window and control panel, there is no blue icon in the control panel.

And I spoke too soon. It's gone back to the same erratic behavior after starting and stopping several times, and closing and rebooting several times without a problem.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where should I email the file to?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by blackmax2k1
I also have the CRTCC error using XP. Did you fix this?
Yes. It turned out that my Radeon 7500's GPU fan had siezed. I replaced this card with a 9200, reinstalled the OS and apps, and MyHD has worked fine ever since.

If you will Google search CRTCC, you will find some discussion about the CRTCC error message being indicative of a video related failure within Windows 98. Thus I conclude (perhaps wrongly) that CRTCC is an error related to the OS video subsystems.

I hope that helps you to avoid the days of reinstalling OS's, moving the MyHD card around the different PCI slots, etc. when changing the video card was the final solution.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just purchased MyHD 120 and installed it. When I try to play transport files (.ts or .trp) I get excessive pixellation errors every few seconds. I tried the latest drivers and in desperation tried the hard in an old (clean) win98 pc, but I had the same problem.

Does the 120 card play back transport files via hardware... I am running the card on an Athlon 1.4 but though the processing power was ok for the card?

Friar

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having a similar problem as Friar. I get pixellation and more often slight skips every 5-10 seconds. For me, this appears to be occurring during the record. I can watch live TV no problem, but as soon as I turn on record, the skips start occurring.

I assume that storing the data to the hard drive is causing the problem ... but have tried everything I know to optimize that path, with no success.

I do get better results if MyHD records in the background, but still not good enough to use.

-Kyle

PS - I purchased the MyHD because my understanding is that it is a hardware solution, and doesn't require as much PC to drive it. The machine I'm running it on right now is only a PIII 800, but my understanding was that it would be enough for MyHD.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Kyleneet,

I'd wonder if your hard drive is not up to the task, or that you have the hard drive you're using to record attached to a CD drive (some types of drives get their speed reduced to the slowest drive on the same connector).

Ideally you'd have a separate drive and have it by itself on the secondary connector. If you're using the same drive as your OS, go buy a cheap drive on a rebate deal. If you don't have a secondary connector, consider getting a PCI hard drive controller card to add to & upgrade your system.

I'm using a 1000 Athlon with no such problems (although on my Motherboard there are four connectors, where two are for optional Promise Raid, and thus I can have my drives not even hooked into the same type of hard drive controller).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Karyk,

Thanks for the suggestions ... I had already isolated the HD on its own IDE controller (and DMA was on), so I picked up a new HD.

Using a new HD seems to be the trick for me ... a new WD1200JBRTL seems to work pretty well when on the primary IDE controller. Strangely, the WD was terrible when on the secondary IDE controller (without any other devices on the controller). I don't know if the OS or bios was somehow still thinking there was a DVD and/or CD drive on the controller.

Also, Sandra benchmarks indicate that both the old and new HD have similar throughput at about 30 Mb/S ... so the difference isn't clear to me.

-Kyle

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I wonder if that drive is just starting to go bad? Personally I don't like WD drives because I have had bad experiences with them many years ago, and continue to hear a lot of reports of theme failing early.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.