AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than go trial and error, I thought I'd ask what people have been successful with.


I'd like my computer to either hibernate or go into standby between recordings. MyHD refers to Hibernate and Suspend. I assume by Suspend they mean standby, but that's my first question. Is suspend the same as standby?


Second, what luck have people had getting the computer to start up and record the next program using either hibernate or standby? Better luck with one or the other?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
I don't turn computers off. Never have, never will. I want them to be there when I need them. I have seen others work at getting an HTPC to be stable suspending or hibernating. I am not sure why they are so set on this. I work with an awful lot of computers on the job and I don't turn those off either.


Just my three cents worth.


Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,423 Posts
Karyk,


I've tested MyHD for suspend and hibernate and both work properly on my Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard using the beta2 software/driver.


At one time I had a problem where MyHD would go through the motions but not output video/audio coming out of both, but that has now been fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
Hey Cliff,


You still there? I am building a new HTPC using that same board. On first test I had no computer generated sound (computer sounds, MP3 player output, etc) that was sent out the S/PDIF connection no matter what the settings I used. Have you tried the on board sound and have you found all you get out of the S/PDIF is DVD sound from a player software? The manual could be read that way or not. Not very clear. My C media on my P4B533 sends everything out the S/PDIF.



Thanks,


Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Karyk,


I've tested MyHD for suspend and hibernate and both work properly on my Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard using the beta2 software/driver.


At one time I had a problem where MyHD would go through the motions but not output video/audio coming out of both, but that has now been fixed.
Those are in a different location than the ones linked off of DC's site, right?


Is it the MIT site?


Edit: The one linked at the beginning of this thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=354760


Second Edit: Also, was the fix in the driver or the software?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by netman
Hey Cliff,


You still there? I am building a new HTPC using that same board. On first test I had no computer generated sound (computer sounds, MP3 player output, etc) that was sent out the S/PDIF connection no matter what the settings I used. Have you tried the on board sound and have you found all you get out of the S/PDIF is DVD sound from a player software? The manual could be read that way or not. Not very clear. My C media on my P4B533 sends everything out the S/PDIF.



Thanks,


Andy
Andy,


I have no problem sending any audio format out of S/PDIF on the SoundMAX.


Make sure that you have both AC-3 S/PDIF and PCM S/PDIF checked in the volume control advanced settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Karyk
Those are in a different location than the ones linked off of DC's site, right?


Is it the MIT site?


Edit: The one linked at the beginning of this thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=354760


Second Edit: Also, was the fix in the driver or the software?
Correct! The software posted at DC are the released (supported) version.


You can download the beta version from the MIT Test folder.


The fix was in the driver because it was not being reinitilized coming out of suspend/hibernate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Since I haven't figured out yet how to save my settings, I'd rather just update the driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Karyk
Thanks. Since I haven't figured out yet how to save my settings, I'd rather just update the driver.
That's not a good idea with a beta driver. The application was changed to support the new driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Andy,


I have no problem sending any audio format out of S/PDIF on the SoundMAX.


Make sure that you have both AC-3 S/PDIF and PCM S/PDIF checked in the volume control advanced settings.
Thanks. Afraid it should work:( Had both setting on but need to try again. Attempt was quick while working on other things. Hoping I did not give it a chance. Wont hyjack thread; appreciate your response.



Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
OK, I've never gotten wakeup from hibernation to work, and I assumed it was my older motherboard. For wake on RTC, the BIOS just had the time and a single date. 0 meant every day, 1-31 meant that day of the month. I worked around the problem by having the machine come on every day just before prime time, whether I was going to record anything or not. For daytime recording, I had to remember to manually turn it on.


But now I've just replaced the motherboard with a new one (different brand), and it's BIOS works the same way! And waking from hibernation still doesn't work. (Suspend/Standby seems to work, but apparently either the motherboard, power supply, or both don't support slowing/stopping the fan, so the HTPC noise continues when it's in suspend/standby.)


Is this the standard way for the wake on RTC to work (only day of month + time)?


Is this the setup MyIRC expects?


When does MyIRC/MyHD program the RTC to wake? Shutdown? After each recording?


Any help appreciated.


Xesdeeni
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,423 Posts
Xesdeeni,


Terry Peterson seem to be the expert on this and has found that all states are not a requrement. What mobo (chipset) and BIOS are you using?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,423 Posts
I believe Terry had the same type problems with VIA mobo and found they don't support all states. I've never had a problem with my magic Asus/Intel mobo.


Maybe Terry can fill in the details for you when he returns from a trip.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,246 Posts
I realize this thread is about making MyHD work from Suspend or Hibernation, but is there a way to make MyHD load the main program and start recording from the reservation list? If you don't load the main MyHD program, it appears there is nothing else to "turn load the program".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Xesdeeni
Can I ask how MyIRC accomplishes waking from Hibernation on non-Via machines? Doesn't it use the RTC?


Xesdeeni
Hi Xesdeeni,


You might want to take a look at this thread .


The first post in this thread contains a link back to a post in a MyHD beta thread where the discussion started.


Also, this post the MyHD beta thread contains a link to an Intel document that has some information about the RTC in an Intel 875P chipset.


-Dave
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top