AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been eagerly awaiting hdtv for my home theater for months now. I just received the MyHD card today and things couldn't be much worse. My system is rock solid stable and has the following:

Celeron 600 oc'ed to 900 (default voltage and completely solid and cool)

660 megs of ram

Abit BX6 rev. 2 mobo

Radeon LE video card

Dlink NIC card

M-audio 2496 sound card

OS is XP with Theatertek for dvd playback

I followed the instructions exactly for installation. Once I attempted to boot the machine up I was concerned. The power came up but there was no initial beep and nothing came up on the monitor. I thought maybe the card did not like this particular pci slot so I moved it to another, still no boot. As I began other slots I thought that overclocking might be the issue (eventhough it never is) so I went to the CMOS and set it at default, still not boot. Then the worst that could have happened did. I was still trying more pci slots and as I pulled the card out this time I slightly scratched it by rubbing up against another card. A pic is attached. I hate admiting this especially since I guess I could lie to DC and tell them I just received it this way but it would be hard to look at myself in the mirror each morning if I did. I am not sure what Cliff or Kei might do with this kind of situation but I thought it would be best to just own up to it since DC has always been so good to the htpc following. Anyway, I went back to the CMOS now and set every page to default. I then attempted to boot and this time it attempted to boot but before it got to the OS it locked again. I rebooted with the card in another slot and this time it went all the way through. The loopback signal looked very good and everything at first looked promising. However, as XP loaded it didn't see that the card was there at all. I tried rebooting again and still XP did not know the card was there. I then attempted to load the drivers manually which I was able to do, however XP still did not know the card was there. Under the properties of the driver it says something like "XP could not start this device."

So I took the card out and rebooted and I am back to the rock solid system I had before. I just don't know what to do. I haven't a clue what else I could try. Even with the scratch I have a feeling nothing is wrong with the card. I wish I had another pc to test it on but I don't. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Depressed,

JP

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
JP,

I had another customer with the same problem. It turned out that his motherboards (two of them) did not support 3.3V PCI cards. The systems would not boot with MyHD installed. I'm not familiar with that Abit board, although I believe that the BE6 works.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
This may also be a power problem - what PS and what wattage do you have? This would be the cheapest fix. Try a better PS.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input Kei. I could not find any information about whether or not the mobo supports 3.3v or not. I am off to try and find an ASUS TUSL2 or CUSL2 with a P3 1Ghz this morning.

As for the power I don't think that is the issue. My 250 watt power supply stopped working about 2 years ago and I replaced with a CompUSA 300 watt power supply. I know CompUSA isn't the preferred PS but it has worked flawlessly ever since and it stays on 24/7.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am interested in finding out the answer to this as well, since I have an Abit BX6 rev 1 mobo and have a MyHD on order. However, I have been using an AccessDTV card in it successfully for over a year, and since the two use the same chipset, I was not anticpating any problems. Is the AccessDTV a 3.3v PCI card?

Al

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
JP, it doesn't look like that scratch would cause any problems, as long as the etching wasn't cut and from that picture, it doesn't look like it was, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Michael. The more I looked at the scratch it doesn't appear to be a scratch at all. It may just be a mark made by the white plastic piece I rubbed against.

I think Best Buy might have an ASUS TUSL2 motherboard but I am having a hard time locating a processor here locally. I was just going to get a P3 1Ghz but now I see some of these chips are rated as TUALATIN. I think this is what the T in this board means. Is this something I really want or need? Is there something about the TUALATIN processors with a TUSL2 that makes for a complementary marriage?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Tualitin's run cooler and can be purchased at higher clock-speeds. Also the fastest Tualitins have 512k cache instead of 256.

·
Registered
525 Posts
JP,

I had the same motherboard you did and had a similar problem with a different pci card. It was a soundblaster 128 I believe, and when I installed it, the bx6 2.0 would not boot up.

I tried different combinations of cards, placement, etc., but I never got the thing to work and never figured out why it wouldn't work.

It was a good excuse to get a better sound card. ;)

David

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
So does the MyHD card require the PCI slot to have 3.3V VIO or does it just draw a lot of 3.3V current?

Most PCI cards out there are "universal" meaning they can use either 3.3V or 5V VIO. Universal PCI cards have two keying slots in the connector so they can be plugged into either 3.3V or 5V PCI motherboards.

I just looked at the picture of the MDP-100 on the Digital Connection website and it's hard to tell but it looks like it has the 5V keying slot so it should support 5V VIO which is good because the majority of BX chipset era motherboards are probably 5V VIO.

Mark

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey David. Thanks for the info. However, I really don't have that luxury. Not to many HDTV cards out there right now :)

At least its good to know someone else has run into this before. I can't believe I am looking into completely upgrading my system just to get this card working. Its just so strange. I have tried a number of PCI cards in this machine and not a one had a single issue. Geesh...this depression is awful and on a holiday no less :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I believe I'm that "other customer" that Kei mentioned. I just posted a short note about my problem on another thread before I saw this one.

I have an Asus P2B and an Abit BP6. Just as in your case, neither would boot routinely with the MDP-100 card inserted. I think one did boot once and but the card was not detected. After I sent my card back they tested it at Digital Connection and it worked fine on another board. Kei mentioned something about the card needing 3.3v so I did some research and found that the P2B does not supply 3.3v on the PCI bus. Apparently the MDP-100 absolutely, positively requires a 3.3v supply from the PCI bus. When my card came back I picked up a cheap motherboard/Duron combo, put it into the same case with the same power supply, and bingo -- it booted right up with the card installed.

Both of the older boards claim to be PCI 2.1 compliant. From what I read the 3.3v supply is optional for 2.1 compliance. Some PCI 2.1 boards do have it. I believe it is mandatory for PCI 2.2 compliance.

I think the card works fine with 5v signaling (and thus is keyed for 5v slots). It just needs a 3.3v supply for its internal workings and doesn't have an onboard regulator to generate it. But then again I'm not a hardcore hardware type so I really don't know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unbelievable...the P2B was what I was looking to replace my current motherboard with!!! And now come to find out it doesn't work with that one either...geesh. Well, I guess TUSL2 with a 1.2Ghz chip is the only way to go for me now.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
JP,

Use the Celery 600 on the TUSL-2 board, it works great, for me.

setup:

winxp pro.

generic Nvidia mx2 video card 32mb.

sound blaster live 5.1

256k generic pc133 ram

My-card is in the #4 slot, sound card in #6, network card in #5, video card in AGP.

I went through the BIOS and turned off every thing that the computer did not need for HTPC use, too.

"ramik" has a good point about the power supply, except that I'm using a 125 watt power supply in my HTPC and MyHD seems very happy. That little porqupine heat sink on the MyHD card gets really hot. This leads me to believe it's getting the current it requires.

As for the Tualatins' running cooler; that's not my experience. I started this project with a 1.3ghz Celery, with a Zalman copper "flower" heat sink. This setup runs consistantly above 40C. This is with it "under clocked" to 897mhz! The 600 Celery runs in the low to mid 30's C. With a Golden Orb heat sink with an 80mm fan running at 6v (no noise.)

That's my experience and setup.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JP
I can't believe I am looking into completely upgrading my system just to get this card working.
I know what you mean. I did not relish having to completely rebuild and reload my HTPC. It took all day yesterday to track down a processor/motherboard, install it, reinstall the OS (and all patches, etc), and reinstall the apps. I went extremely cheap and bought a low end motherboard and Duron 1ghz. Total cost was around $100. I was lucky in that it's possible to get near mailorder prices at the local stores here in San Diego.

Dscaler really appreciates the extra CPU power although I was hoping to not need to use dscaler and my capture card along with the MDP-100. Other folks have reported good results feeding svideo into the MDP-100 but when I tried it the results were awful.

Quote:

Its just so strange. I have tried a number of PCI cards in this machine and not a one had a single issue.
That's the way things work in the PC world. It's called progress -- unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Quote:
I started this project with a 1.3ghz Celery, with a Zalman copper "flower" heat sink. This setup runs consistantly above 40C.
You're aware that the ASUS boards (such as your TUSL2) are known to read temps about 10C higher than other manufacturer's boards? So the temps you were getting were probably quite fine.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the input. Well, I can now move to a new mobo/processor setup because I have enough parts for a second computer which my wife wouldn't mind using anyway. However, now that the ASUS P4B is out of the question I just don't know what to do. The TUSL2 seems like the obvious choice but when I look at prices it seems that a P4 which would offer much better performance is the same price or only slightly higher.

Anyone know of the what they consider to be the best price/performance combo out there right now for mobo/cpu/heatsink/fan?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
JP,

The easiest way to make this decision is to ask yourself "What to I want the HTPC to do?"

In my case, I wanted my HTPC to:

1. Receive and display local HD programming in the 1080i format (my Mits 46809 TV has this resolution.)

2. Play DVDs, via hardware or software player(s.)

3. Play MP3 files.

As you can see, nothing really fancy (yet) just the basic functions, I think, we all would like to have in a HTPC.

Later on I may upgrade, as my wants change, and my expectations mature, but for now, this setup works just fine. I have just over $1000 in my HTPC at this time.

skriefal,

Yes I have read that Asus MO/Boards read 10C. higher than others' do; however, the 600 and the 1.3 Celerys post consistant temps respective to the processor on two different Asus motherboards (TUSL-2C and TUSI-M.) That is, the 600 runs 30C. the 1.3 runs 40C or higher, on the same board, with the same cooler.

Some how I find it hard to believe the 600 Celery is really running at 20C, while the MO/BO temp is steady at 28 to 30C... Also the MO/BO temp stays the same between the two processors.

Cheers...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JP
However, now that the ASUS P4B is out of the question I just don't know what to do.
Why is the Asus P4B out of the question? Did I miss something somewhere?

The problems I had were with a P2B which is an entirely different board.

I doubt you'd have any problems with a P4B and the MyHD card.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.