AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just tried the analog capture feature of the MyHD MDP-100 card and no matter what video compression I select (tried the basic RGB16, RGB24, Indeo 5.x and even tried others), I cannot use a resolution higher than 320 x240 without having capture problems. Also I have not been able to get the MDP-100 capture capability in to work in 3rd party video capture/editing applications even though it can be selected as a capture device. I am using the MyHD V1.6 drivers and application software and have a 2.6 GHz P4 so I don't think it is a lack of processing power.

Is this a limitation of the MyHD card or is it my setup? I would be interested in finding out other people experiences are in using it for analog capture?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
It's a limitation of Video For Windows (VFW). The best codec (free) that I've used is DivX. Some other 3rd party MPEG1/2 codecs should work better than anything installed by Windows.

BTW, I strongly recommended to MIT that they either provide a viable capture software OR remove this "feature".

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cliff if I understand you correctly, it is because the MyHD card uses a VFW driver that the maxium capture resolution is limited to 320x240, so how does using a codec like DIVX resolve this issue as it woudl seem the VFW driver is the limiting factor? Would this limitation be resolved if the card was updated with a WDM capture driver?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
First off VFW is not a driver. It is a process that should have died with Windows 3.1 because it was never good.

The major problem is that CODECs (Coder-Decoders) that works with VFW can’t offer real-time compression to reduce the file size to prevent overpowering the CPU. Newer Codecs like DivX or Mpeg1/2 have been optimized to produce smaller files with higher image quality.

With MyHD when you select a video/audio codec the MyHD application simple passes off the overlay video to the codec selected and VFW API gets the audio from the soundcard where they are interleaved.

MyHD could be provided with Codecs that function within a filter graph in the same manner as FusionHDTV does or MIT could remove what I consider a stupid feature on a HDTV tuner card.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the clarification. So is your recommendation that I purchase a separate card for analog capture like the BT based capture or TV/capture card like the Pinnacle PCTV, Flyvideo, etc.?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I'm not Cliff, but I know I certainly recommend a seperate capture card. I like the WinTV250 with SageTV's PVR service. In retrospect though I likely should have gone with the 350 to use the SVideo out instead of dealing with all of the deinterlacing artifacts. Others work well also.

-MP

·
Registered
461 Posts
For analog capture try the huffyv codec, lossless capture (very large filesize though) so you get the maximum quality so then you can take your time recompressing it later (with something like Xvid)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
I'm not Cliff, but I know I certainly recommend a seperate capture card. I like the WinTV250 with SageTV's PVR service. In retrospect though I likely should have gone with the 350 to use the SVideo out instead of dealing with all of the deinterlacing artifacts. Others work well also.

-MP
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but from what you said that means that I would get a "cleaner" picture using the 350's s out, versus going out DVI or VGA from the video card?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Some people think so. I don't have the 350 so I can't tell you for sure. But if you read the Sage forums, it seems like it is a cleaner picture than the conversion and deinterlacing done by the app/your video card. You'll also likely want to use the Dscaler plugin or one of the others codecs (the Intervideo one is popular).

-MP

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
It's a limitation of Video For Windows (VFW). The best codec (free) that I've used is DivX. Some other 3rd party MPEG1/2 codecs should work better than anything installed by Windows.

BTW, I strongly recommended to MIT that they either provide a viable capture software OR remove this "feature".
I was using DivX and got good results as well. My biggest problem was not being able to configure an audio codec.

In any event. I agree with Cliff's recommendation. I'm using a AIW now for all my SD captures to begin with because I see the MyHD card as the great HD tuner and HD capture card it is. It would have been nice to seen a better integration of SD captures with HD capture.

Maybe MIT could redesign the MyHD, add an MPEG encoder and just do MPEG captures for all SD material.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Thanks for the clarification. So is your recommendation that I purchase a separate card for analog capture like the BT based capture or TV/capture card like the Pinnacle PCTV, Flyvideo, etc.?â€

I don’t even recommend “watching†NTSC. ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
â€Thanks for the clarification. So is your recommendation that I purchase a separate card for analog capture like the BT based capture or TV/capture card like the Pinnacle PCTV, Flyvideo, etc.?â€

I don’t even recommend “watching†NTSC. ;)
I agree but this is the only economical way I can record satelite onto my computer. The MyHD card would be the ultimate solution to my needs if they would only "fix" the analog capture capabilities.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mntneer
I was using DivX and got good results as well. My biggest problem was not being able to configure an audio codec.

In any event. I agree with Cliff's recommendation. I'm using a AIW now for all my SD captures to begin with because I see the MyHD card as the great HD tuner and HD capture card it is. It would have been nice to seen a better integration of SD captures with HD capture.

Maybe MIT could redesign the MyHD, add an MPEG encoder and just do MPEG captures for all SD material.
Agreed, same thing for me. I had pretty good results with DivxPro 5.0 codec, but eventually upgraded video crds, so I spent the extra money on an AIW and get good quality captures now (via D*). I use to use the Huffy codec, but it wasn't worth the time re-encoding to mpeg-2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.