AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else here try playback of DVD vob files with the MyHD card? What was your experience?

I got it to play the vob files, with excellent results. It looks much better than my Panasonic RP56 DVD Player.

But, I am getting quite a few audio dropouts. Does anyone else get this?

The current functionality is a nice proof of concept. But, it needs to be polished before being really usable. For example, the ability to bookmark, fast forward / rewind, or advance to a certain time in the playback would be very helpful.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I posted my comments about VOB playback in a thread that now seems to be buried.

Here is what my opinion was in that thread:

"Regarding PQ, I am rather impressed.

I synced up two copies of the same DVD (A.I.) on MYHD and the Panny RP91 so I could easily bounce between the two on the TV.

The Picture from MYHD seems to have more graininess to it but it is very subtle.

A subjective rating for this particular disk (A.I.):

If the PQ from my RP91 is a 10, MYHD is a 9. "

Joe

·
Registered
697 Posts
hi

i played them with power dvd. no drops in sound. i use 5.1 plaster platinum \\win me.

varo player sound low i have to cranck amp up way up to get right cinema mood.

they are on ide motherboard+ ata controller. still have 3 empty ide on it.PQ IS GREAT .

on pj or tv.

i use transcoder for tvi cannt tell how great it look on tv using pstrip.

on pj it 4:3. it look also great from 2x distance.

res 800x600 w\\pstrip is like 540p on tv and pj reads it as 625 p using break out cable from transcoder. and its svga if i use vga cable.

i give it 9 1\\2 hd files.

stand alone toshiba dvdpl 8.0 non progressive.

htpc dvdrom hitachi7000 i give it 9.0.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Based on a recommendation in another thread here, I modified my audio config to remove all the WAV settings. Now, it only has SPDIF set as the audio output.

After doing this, my audio breakups are much less frequent, but are not totally gone.

I have tried the MyHD card both in 1080i and 720p mode. I cannot see much difference between the two modes. But, both look good.

My RP56 has always seemed very grainy to me, the MyHD card is much less grainy.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question on VOB file playback..

Does the MyHD card scale the DVD display to the current display format (e.g. 1080i, 720p)?

I thought it did, but I noticed that when I go from a 1080i stored recording, and then display a DVD vob file, my monitor re-synchs as if it's changing resolution.

This does not happen when I switch between two 1080i files.

The OSD still says 1920x1080i, but I am not sure why the monitor would re-synch. Also, the display on the monitor shows the synch rate of 33Khz, so I believe it is displaying the VOB at 1080i.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.