Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been thinking about purchasing the MyHD card, and I have been looking over the manual (I found a copy in another thread) to get a feel for how to card works, and I have a question.

In the manual, there's a section called "Multi-mode on an Antenna", and it says:

Quote:
Multi-mode on an Antenna :

One Antenna input may receive both cable channel and air channel. In this case, after option checking, press auto search to investigate all air and cable channel.
What exactly does this mean? Is there some way I can have both cable and OTA signals on the same wire at the same time??? How does MyHD distinguish between cabel channel 4, for example, and OTA channel 4?

If this actually works that'd be great - I'd LOVE not to have to switch between antenna inputs to get certain channels - otherwise channel 'surfing' just isn't very easy.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Joe

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a MyHD also. I'm not sure about exactly what they are referring to here. I know there are devices, multiplexers?, that can combine two channel sources. I believe what happens is the channel numbers change for one of the sources... eg, channel 4 becomes channel 64, 5 becomes 65, etc.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It simply means that the RF inputs on the MyHD card can be either used for OTA antennas, or Cable input. Note that this is analog cable, not digital QAM cable that is most commonly used for HD.

Also, there are two RF inputs on the MyHD card, so you can plug an antenna into one, and cable into the other, and seamlessly switch between the inputs in your "favorite channel" list.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah - OK that makes sense. Thanks for resolving that for me.

So it seems like I would be changing channels via Favorites most of the time and not actually changing via an input type (ant1, 2).

Does this cause any problems with the program guide? For example, when I bring up the Program Guide in Full Screen Mode, will the channel list that I see be based on my Favorites list and not on the antenna?

And if so, if I schedule a recording, then I assume the software is 'smart' enough to figure out which antenna/channel to actually grab the recording from, correct?

This brings up another question I have - what is the difference between the program guide in full screen mode and using TitanTV in VGA mode?

Thanks again,

-Joe

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Schmoe
What exactly does this mean? Is there some way I can have both cable and OTA signals on the same wire at the same time??? How does MyHD distinguish between cabel channel 4, for example, and OTA channel 4?
tji is correct in his response as either F-connector input on the MyHD can handle either 8vsb OTA signals and/or (Analog) cable but not QAM (Digital) cable. MyHD is able to determine what type is coming from either input.

I want to also comment on the fact that it is not possible to combine OTA signals and cable signals into a single wire as I posted a question about this on another forum a few months ago. The signals overlap (at some point). Satellite owners know that they can combine satellite signals and OTA or cable signals via a diplexer but no such device will work for only OTA and cable.

Granted I'm no cable expert (or installer) but the answers did come from those that are.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Specificly, the VHF frequencies are the same for both OTA and cable. However, the tuner must then be configured for either cable channels or OTA UHF channels, it can't be both - the cable channels are on frequencies between VHF and UHF (the so-called "mid-band cable frequencies"), but with some frequency overlap with the UHF band - but the channel spacing and center frequencies are different.

(Which is only more detail about why Sjpd is correct in what he said.)

Edit: and the MyHD is the only board which can do both OTA and cable because it has two RF inputs, of course.

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.