AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been plagued with a GSOD on my MyHD card. It gives me a blank green screen whenever I open the application and go to fullscreen mode. It does this on Ant 1 and in file mode. Once the green screen appears, the PC locks up and doesn't respond to keyboard or mouse inputs, forcing me to reboot.

I've also been plagued with the loss of video on my Holo3D-I card in the same machine. Both cards work fine for awhile, and then they start giving me problems.

My guess is that my power supply is inadequate, but I'd love to hear other theories.

My PS is a 300 Watt Enermax. My config is:

Case: Kanam Accent HTPC Case

Motherboard: Asus P4PE motherboard

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.8MHz CPU

CPU Cooling: Thermaltake Copper CPU cooler with variable speed fan and temperature sensing control

Case Cooling: Thermaltake Smart Case Fan with temperature sensing control

Hard Disks: Western Digital Caviar 10 GB IDE HDD (OS and programs only)

Seagate 120 GB SATA HDD (10 GB partition for system backup; 110 GB for data and HD recording)

Video Card: Radeon 9500 with Catalyst 3.6 drivers

Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 410

HDTV Tuner Card: MyHD MDP-100 Card

Holo3D Video Processor Card: version I

Perhaps the combination of the CPU, Radeon 9500, MyHD, and Holo3d, plus the case fans, is simply too much for a 300 watt power supply.

CPU temps average around 52 to 55; seldom higher.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I used to get green screen, both full screen green blotches. I think it was a case of overheating. From cold start it would work fine for about an hour and then green blotch or full green screen (only on HD, never on NTSC.) I placed a slot fan next to the big heatsink (it always felt very warm) on the MyHD and has been solid ever since.

I also replaced the PS with a larger one (300W to 420W) so that could be part of it as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would have to agree more with the concept of overheating than too low a PSU.

Why some people believe a 500W+ PSU is needed is beyond me. Unless you're running a mass of HD's, 350W-400W is plenty in 99% of cases.

Honestly, take your components and add them up and get a wattage rating on them all, I bet you're well under 300W.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I replaced the power supply with an Antec TruePower 430 watt beast. I also moved the MyHD one slot away from the Holo3D card to give the MyHD tuner some space. Two hours into watching TV tonight my Holo3D card froze up. The CPU temp at that point was 56 C. (its a 2.8 GHz Pentium IV). The Holo3D card is one slot away from the MyHD; perhaps the heat from the MyHD's tuner is affecting it. [But then again, the Holo3D was unstable in my old machine too; perhaps b/c of heat, but who knows]

I think I can safely rule out an insufficient power supply as a cause, which leaves heat as the likely culprit. My next move is to use the empty slot next to the MyHD for a slot fan and to add another 60mm case fan in the back. I already have a 80mm fan in the front pulling air into the case, but only one 60mm fan for exhaust (in addition to the power supply fans).

Short of water cooling, I don't know what else I can do.

- Ken

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by M.S.-Ohio

Honestly, take your components and add them up and get a wattage rating on them all, I bet you're well under 300W.
I think the Watt figure on a power supply is its maximum consumption, not output.

You need to add up the current consumption for all of your devices, by voltage, and compare that to the power supply's rated output.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
"Why some people believe a 500W+ PSU is needed"

I have the Radeon 9500 Pro so that is consuming more power than the usual Video card. I chose the Antec 430 True as well as 480 seemed like overkill.

PS have you seen the new NVidia cards? They really must consume power! They have the full blown HD Molex power connector on them, not the small floppy type connector that is on the Radeons.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I definitely need to add up the power of the components. Both the Radeon 9500 and the Holo3d have their own power connectors on them, and the Holo3D has a HD Molex on it.

But tonight I'll work on case cooling to see if I can bring the temps down. Then I'll run the cards for several hours and see what the temps are and whether the cards hold up.

If the Holo3D is still acting up, I'll replace it with the FlyVideo/DScaler combo and sell the card.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.