Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Can existing users of MyHD cards answer the following questions...

1) Can MyHD record both HD from an UHF antenna feed and SD from an antenna and S-Video feed (of course, not at the same time)?

2) Can I easily use a tool like Hd2mpg to strip out commercials from the recorded HD content?

3) Can I take the output of (1) or (2) and archive it to DVHS using a tool like dvhstool (with full HD resolution and 5.1 sound)?

Many thx.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The answer to 1) is definitely yes. I'm not familiar with HD2MPG but I know a tool exists to do what you are talking about (DVHSTOOL?).

Not sure about 3), as I don't have a DVHS.

-- Gary

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for your reply.

Re: (1), I looked at the MyHD info on DigitalConnection. From the pictures, it wasn't clear that I could connect the S-Video output from my satellite receiver to the MyHD card -- to record SD content. Is there some kind of break-out cable with an S-Video In that's not shown in the MyHD picture?

Many thx.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, the breakout cable supplied has composite, audio left and rifth, and S-Video in connections, as well as the VGA input and output connections.

-Matt

P.S. The content recorded using the S-Video is in AVI, not MPEG-2 format.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx again for your reply.

I am not sure I understand the advantages/disadvantages of recording in AVI v/s MPEG2. I think other HD cards like HiDTV record SD in MPEG2. Can someone elaborate on why that might be better?

Many thx.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amrud
Thx again for your reply.

I am not sure I understand the advantages/disadvantages of recording in AVI v/s MPEG2. I think other HD cards like HiDTV record SD in MPEG2. Can someone elaborate on why that might be better?

Many thx.
MyHD can record SD in any compression codec installed on your PC, it's not limited to AVI.

·
Registered
161 Posts
AVI is not a compression format --

AVI stands for "Audio Video Interleve" -- it's basically a container. What you put into that container should be 1 video stream, and 1 audio stream. What compression you use, is as Cliff says, only limited to what compression formats you have available on your computer. MPEG is another type of compression, that does save a lot of space, but is more difficult to compress in real-time.

Hope that helps.

-Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.