AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a myHD card. I want to be able to run my digital cable (Charter) into the STB and then into the myHD and be able to record shows. Is this possible? I am looking to use the myHD because I am also looking to receive OTA HD signals for local channels through an antenna.

Time-shifting I plan to alleviate with girder and an IR transmitter to change the STB channels.

The HD side is pretty straight forward, but the digital cable reception issue is where I need some direction.

Thanks in advance for any comments............

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
It is not possible to decode any of the Digital Cable channels currently with any of the HD Cards. Most Digital Cable is QAM, OTA HD is 8VSB. Fusion III is supposed to have QAM but there is discussion on the fact that it might only work on "open" channels.

You can however view the non-digital channels or (not having Charter Digital here so I don't know the box) use SVideo from the box to the MyHD or a seperate capture card. Recording SD with the MyHD is not weak stomached.

·
Registered
154 Posts
jkaiser,

Could you run Digital Box through Ant. two and pass it through on channel 3, changing channels from the cable box? Never bothered to try. I just use MyHD for OTA. BTW, MyHD has to have the worst documentation of any pc product I have purchased. Thank goodness for AVS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could you run Digital Box through Ant. two and pass it through on channel 3, changing channels from the cable box? Never bothered to try. I just use MyHD for OTA. BTW, MyHD has to have the worst documentation of any pc product I have purchased. Thank goodness for AVS.

That is what I was thinking of doing. I want to be sure that it will record the already translated feed. I have searched these posts and not seen anyone information regadrding this type of setup.

It is not possible to decode any of the Digital Cable channels currently with any of the HD Cards. Most Digital Cable is QAM, OTA HD is 8VSB. Fusion III is supposed to have QAM but there is discussion on the fact that it might only work on "open" channels.

Thanks, I know I can't decode the signal. I want to record an already decoded signal. Is that possible??

Thanks again for your comments.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'll try it this weekend if noone volunteers the info.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you hook the cable box passthrough to the ANT2 on the MyHD, you will only get the regular analog cable channels. In order to record the digital channels you would run S-Video or Composite and L/R Audio from the cable box into the breakout box of the MyHD.

Of course, I only use the card for OTA HD recording so I can't speak from experience. ;)

Brian

·
Registered
107 Posts
Could adding QAM support to a card be as easy as updating the software, or would it most likely need to be done with hardware of the HDTV decoder card?

I'm also assuming many people here are then using a HD card (like the MyHD or FusionDTV) and a TV Tuner card at the same time. How does doing such a thing work out? Can you control both your digital cable television and HDTV television from the same software?

Ideally I would like to build myself a HTPC too, but not until I can offer the full schebang (TiVo like functionality - possibly with a software like MythTV, HDTV recording and playback support, QAM support.)

Ideally I would like to have one software package that downloads the EPG, provides easy recording and playback of Digital Cable, OTA, and High Definition Signals. Man it would be great and would allow me to toss that slow digital cable box AT&T/Comcast uses in my area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.