AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, this is a very nice place you guys been hanging around, high-quality forum :)

As a premise, I read *all* the MyHD threads I could find, read the Digital Connection FAQ and everything else. Yet there are some fundamental questions without definite answer. I believe it's because most of the info is geared toward HTPC, not toward business systems on steroids.

My system: Epox 8KHA+ with AthlonXP 1800 with Santa Cruz Beach Turtle with some 4.1 Cambridge Soundworks and Radeon8500 retail with 2x 20.1" LCD Dell 2000FP (1600x1200 default) one on the DVI port and one on the VGA port. I have a Hauppage WinTV 401 and use dscaler to display TV in a window on either one of the monitors, it works great. Full screen doesn't work too well as the TV is scatered on both screens but only the primary (DVI) attached LCD displays anything. To display in full screen, I need to have both LCDs in clone mode instead of extend desktop which is not good, remember this is my business system. DVD playback is great with PowerDVD including display in a window on either screen and ful screen on either screen, couldn't get ATI's version to run fine.

So 2 monitors, 1 on DVI dedicated to my business system and 1 on VGA that is hooked into a IOGear USB KVM that allows that LCD to be shared among several systems. Here again, it works great, the KVM introduces minimal distortion to the display (although I'm sure it does introduce noise etc.)

Environment: I checked the signal from the roof antena for OTA HDTV and all's peachy rosy, strong signal in the San Francisco South Bay area. I have 2 coax, 1 from ATT digital cable and 1 from the roof antena. I won't connect any external viewer (TV or PJ) to the MyHD. I'm not yet interested in recording or PVR, just viewing. I can't dedicate this system to HTPC.

Asumptions:I will replace the Hauppage with the MyHD, hook both coax to the card and use the included viewer to view both ATT's and OTA HDTV signals. I'll be able to switch between both signals and all will work great.

Questions: What's the prefered method of connecting the card in my system? Radeon8500 VGA out->MyHD pass through->KVM->LCD? My concern is that the MyHD will introduce yet another layer between the video card and the display. Is there a way to have the video signal via the PCI bus? Would that be efficient?

My LCDs will be essentially stuck at 1600x1200, is this a problem? Will I be able view TV and HDTV via a resizable window? That'd be great if it could work on either screen (overlay seems to work on both screens OK right now) and if full-screen would work with full dual-display functionality.

How will sound be handled? Right now I have a small cable coming out from the Hauppage plugged into the line-in input of the Santa Cruz. Will it be the same?

I'm planning a "real" HTPC system for the next few months but for now want to give HDTV a try, thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody knows?

I don't mind doing some experimentation after I get the card, I just want to make sure that I won't run into any major show-stopper for what I'm trying to achieve.

Anybody has a configuration similar to mine?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, got the answers to many of my questions, I'll reply here maybe it'll help another newbie...

But first off, kuddos to Digital Connection (and AVS forum) for bringing us this card :)

Now that I played with the card for a few hours, it's easy to realize how dumb some of my questions were :), but here is the skinny.

In my configuration, the VGA loop back cable does introduce significant noise, but the system works great without the cable, I guess the video signal travels through the PCI bus.

The sound can travel via the PCI bus without the need for a cable.

Having a display stuck at 1600x1200 is not a problem although ideally you want a 16:9 format for this. The overlay window is resizeable from really small to full width.

It does work on both screens and I'm still playing around with screen sizes and modes...

Tuning is great on both OTA HDTV (10 stations in the San Jose area, roof antenna) and cable (ATT).

HDTV image is superb, for example KQED is broadcasting in 1080 mode, this kicks some serious butt!!!!

Even cable stations look better than the Hauppage WinTV + DScaler combo.

The only issue that I have is a very high CPU usage, around 50%. Actually, MyHD uses just a few percents, where the "system" process uses close to 50% on XP1800. Anybody else has seen this?

Did I mention kuddos to DC and AVS?

Very happy camper here!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.