Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I have had myHD for 2 days now, and I am having some trouble figuring out what is a "feature" versus a "bug"

I just built an HTPC

P4 2.4, ASUS P4PE, 256MB , Hardrives, ATI Radeon 8500LE and a my HD card.

I have the Radeon looped into the myHD

The myHD VGA out connected to AA transcoder, then component into

a Sony Grand Wega.

1. Using powerstrip, I run the Windows desktop at 1280 x 720p on the HDTV

2. I also switch cables around to connect to a computer monitor

3. I am aware of the RGB and component toggle in the myHD config screen

So here is the observation

A. On my computer screen, i can play vob content, OTA HD in both over lay and full screen mode

B. But when I switch all to the Sony Wega, and config component out, I can do all in overlay mode...

C. But when I am in full screen (the HD button) mode this is what i see

1. 1920 x1080i - nothing-black screen

2. the other progressive mode, I see a green picture, whose frames are flicking off the screen ....like a 8mm movie that goes off the sprockets (some sync thing i think) .... the speed of the flickering scrolling slows down when I go from 720p to 480p

3. I 480i mode, the flickering scrolling goes away, but the picture is note that great, and it is green.

Is this expected? Do i have to watch HD content with the overlay screen sized to my HDTV, or is there something else I forgot?

Thanks to all

Pierre

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"B. But when I switch all to the Sony Wega, and config component out, I can do all in overlay mode... "

I think this may be the cause of your problem. When connected to you TV thru a transcoder MyHD needs to be set for RGB output same as the desktop which you can see.

In the MyHD Config Panel set the resolution to 720p (same as desktop) and Display Type to RGB.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Cliff - I've got a MyHD coming in on Monday - with a single Mitsubishi WS-65905 as the monitor. I've got a BNC to 5 RCA breakout cable coming with it.

I'm considering setting up a remote control connection (NetOp or VNC) to the box thru ethernet so that I can see the computer screen and make changes if I have a problem with the display.

What exactly do I need to do (PowerStrip, MyHD settings) to get it to work?

What are my logical steps, after taking the card out of the box, to get it all up and running?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€What are my logical steps, after taking the card out of the box, to get it all up and running?â€

First read the instruction manual. ;)

â€I'm considering setting up a remote control connection (NetOp or VNC) to the box thru ethernet so that I can see the computer screen and make changes if I have a problem with the display.â€

That would be over kill. MyHD comes with a remote control for operational controls including switching between full screen and the desktop. I believe the Mits TV uses RGBHV and with that input you can use the loopback cable to pass the desktop (properly set for the TV resolution and refresh rate) to the TV and after setup pressing the HD button on the remote will block the desktop and pass the HDTV from MyHD.

â€What exactly do I need to do (PowerStrip, MyHD settings) to get it to work?â€

You have to install PowerStrip and select one of the custom HDTV resolutions supported by your Mits TV. Then in the MyHD Config Panel you would select RGB output and again one of the TV supported resolutions.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Cliff - the Mits HDTV supports 1080i, 480i, 480p.

Which 'custom HDTV resolutions' would I select in PowerStrip to correspond to these formats?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Cliff - I have the latest PowerStrip installed and am attempting to follow your instructions.

Am I suposed to see the 1920x540p as an option in the 'configure display profiles' screen?

1. I am unclear on how to get this somewhat non-standard size. I'm attempting to use an older Matrox card that generates little heat. It has a max resolution of 1600 x 1200. Am I out of luck?

2. I am unclear on how you set "p" as in 540p in the PowerStrip program. I don't see any options for that.

3. What refresh rate should it be at? Mine doesn't seem to go much below 60hz? Will that do?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"Am I suposed to see the 1920x540p as an option in the 'configure display profiles' screen?"

Les,

In the Advanced Timimg Options page select "Custom Resolutions" button and select the resolution from the list. Then click on the "Add New Resolutions" button.

Then follow the instructions to reboot. Then you can test the new resolution.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Cliff - I set it to 1920 x 540p using PowerStrip.

I connected the RGBHV cable - and I could see the BIOS display and Win2000 as it booted up. When it got all the way up, I could see all the icons and folders on the desktop, the display started cracking up and I shut it down.

I guess I'm confused. If the monitor can only display 480i, 480p, 1080i - what does the 1920x540p you recommended correspond to?

Is 1920 x 540p supposed to be the 1080i?

Did it crack up because the card can't handle it (it can display 1600 x 1200 at 60hz ok).

Is there a lesser resolution that I can use - as it seemed to work ok up until the very last?

What is the least heat generating ATI card that will work - and allow me to play VOBs with MyHD at the full resolution?

BTW - I know they pulled the encrypted DVDs at higher resolution - but what about playing non-encrypted VOBs at the highest resolution?

Will that work and is that something worthy to shoot for (as in possibly getting a better picture than on a DVD player).

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Les,

Your graphics card may not support 1920x540p. Did you set PowerStrip to be run at that resolution on boot up?

If the graphics card does not support 540p you can alway use 480p at 60Hz for the desktop. That's not the best resolution for big screen TV and makes DVD look like crap.

1920x540p has the same timings as 1080i and your TV will process (display) it as such.

The Radeon 9000 is a good low noise graphics card.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Cliff - I added the resolution in PowerStrip, I rebooted, and then I set it in the Matrox dialog where it showed up (after the PowerStrip did its thing).

I don't remember setting PowerStrip to run in any resolution at bootup - although it certainly comes up every time I boot up with it's tips msg.

Should I have set something inside powerstrip rather than in the Matrox desktop settings (or possibly it was just the normal right click on the desktop - then settings where I did this)?

BTW - How about a Radeon 7000 32Meg DDR AGP? I have one in another box that I could grab. Would that do the job at the highest resolution?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Les,

I'm not sure that PS added the correct resolution to the Matrox dialog.

The Radeon 7000 would work with the Cat 2.4 drivers posted at ATI.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Cliff - ok, I'll go with the Radeon 7000.

1. Are there any issues with changing a video card when PowerStrip is installed?

2. After I have it installed, do I set the resolution in PowerStrip, or do I just add the resolution in PowerStrip and then choose that resolution in the ATI utilities?

·
Registered
55 Posts
les

I also have a Mits RPTV. they seem to be unable to change timing on the fly. So when it boots, it is dispaying the (640x) 480p screen prior to the desktop at Powerstrip timing/resolution. If you change input and go back to the RGBHV for the HTPC, you should see the desktop without rolling. Additionally, you could try 960x540p so that the desktop is readable.

Kelly

Quote:
I connected the RGBHV cable - and I could see the BIOS display and Win2000 as it booted up. When it got all the way up, I could see all the icons and folders on the desktop, the display started cracking up and I shut it down.

·
Registered
343 Posts
drducky - I don't follow you when you say to 'change input and go back to RGBHV'.

I am already connected to the RGBHV inputs on my WS-65905.

How do I 'change input'?

·
Registered
55 Posts
les

sorry for being vague.

If I accidentally have 480p going to the Mits when it is being tuned (ie to DTV input) and I then want it changed to 1080i or 540p, I first must change the RPTV's input (say to antenna or input 1/2/3, etc.) and then back to DTV so that it changes the timing requirement to that for 540p instead of 480p.

That may not be much clearer, but it's what seems to be happening and what I do to get around it.

Kelly

·
Registered
343 Posts
drducky - so, you are saying on the Mitsubishi remote I move to a different input and then back?

Thanks for taking the time to give me this info.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Cliff - I have the Radeon 7000 installed and PowerStrip up.

1. When PowerStrip installs, it says 'if the current settings are NOT the adapter defaults, you could cancel this operation and reset the hardward to the adapter defaults, then rerun the program.

I had changed the screen size from 640 x 480 to a larger size before I installed PowerStrip. Are these the defaults it is talking about? How do I ensure that I have the defaults installed.

2. I'm in the advanced timing window - where I will attempt to set the 1920x540p you suggested. I see checkboxes for Interlaced and other things on this screen. Do I need to set any of these - or will I just choose the 1920x540p in the Custom Resolutions and that is all.

3. After I have set this up as above, do I use PowerStrip to set the detault resolution to 1920x540p (where?) or do I choose this newly added custom resolution in the destop /Properties/Settings tab (choose it as the screen area using the slider)?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Cliff - also - you mentioned that I could use standard or derived 1920x540p. I get the idea that the standard is interlaced from how the settings change on the right - but as you said I could use either - I'm somewhat confused - as they seem different?

What is the difference? The Mitsubishi WS-65905 supports 480p, 480i, 1080i.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.