AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got home from work today and the 2 MYHD cards I ordered from DC were at my front door already. Excellent shipping job. Hats off to DC.

First Impressions:

1) Installation (I used the driver and app from DC's website) on XP was trivial.

2) Setting up a recording is a bit tedious as it requires a number of key clicks in the "Reservation" Menu.

3) Tried recording to a network drive. Works fine as does playback from the network drive.

Only recorded about 10 minutes so I have not exhaustively tested that.

4) Tried recording HBOHD from my DISH 5000 to the MITS D-VHS.

Waaay cool! It shows up as the correct model (not JVC as I had feared) and records directly to tape.

Only recorded about 20 minutes so I have not exhaustively tested that.

Playback from the D-VHS was perfect.

During playback, have complete RW/FF,Pause with the MYHD remote.

6) Stuck a recording I have from my Panny HD1000 (no longer own the Panny) into the Mits D-VHS and tried play back. To my PLEASANT surprise, I was watching my nearly year old recording of ANTZ on my HDTV.

This note will be posted in the HD Recorder section of avsforum.

7) Simulated a streaming restore and MYHD DOES realize that new files are showing up in the playback directory.

8) The remote control is EXCELLENT. One really nice feature is it has a POWER button that starts the program running. No need to start it from the PC.

FF and RW act just like a VCR's. No need for 15,30 sec,etc. FF/RW settings.

9) The OSD on the HDTV is a killer feature.

Displays very useful info like Input source,channel number,incoming resolution,etc.

Just like a TIVO, You can bring up a list of recordings that are on disk on the OSD from the Remote and pick one to playback. VERY inpressive.

A few negatives:

1) I started a recording to the D-VHS (I think it was that) and I got a screathing sound out of my PC speakers. OUCH!

Can not seem to duplicate the pattern as it only did this 2 times out of about 10 test recordings.

2) Been playing around with this card for about 3 hours now but I was in the middle of typing this thread when the machine rebooted while I was recording to a network drive. A crash dump was saved.

This XP machine never did that before.

Started a new 30 minute recording to network drive as I type this and NO crash. Fluke perhaps?

3) The auto-scanning for Channels seems to have a minor bug. I selected DIGITAL in the scan menu but it still insisted on finding ANALOG as well as ATSC channels.

4) Does not map the ATSC channels to their names (eg. WJZTV-DT) nor does it map them to the corresponding channel number. EG. Shows Channel 38 instead of Channel 13

5) Wish I could set a unique IR code (like one can do with multiple DISH receivers) so I can control 2 MYHD machines with my learning remote control. Will have to program Girder for the second machine.

First impressions? This is the HDTV card to get.

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Joe, do you know if it does 3:2 pulldown of 1080i film material like the way the Hipix does (720p/768p)? Also, did you get the software version which includes support for TitanTV?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mkanet
Joe, do you know if it does 3:2 pulldown of 1080i film material like the way the Hipix does (720p/768p)? Also, did you get the software version which includes support for TitanTV?
Michael,

I have not had this card long enough to check for 3:2 pulldown.

I did not get the version that supports TitanTV. Didn't know that was available yet. I thought that was later this summer?

Joe

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Joe, do you know if it does 3:2 pulldown of 1080i film material like the way the Hipix does (720p/768p)?â€

Michael,

Are you saying that the HiPix only supports 3:2 pulldown of 1080i film material if you are scaling to 720 or 768p? That may explain why I get such bad combing with 1080i when using the delnterlace key in the registry and outputting to 1080i.

â€Also, did you get the software version which includes support for TitanTV?â€

MIT and TitanTV are in the process of getting agreements in place for support of MyHD.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Joe,

Thanks for the quick review. How does the MyHD card handle your Hipix recordings? Are you able to play them back as is or do they need to be renamed or reassociated with the MyHD app in windows?

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Cliff, yes, 3/2 pulldown works mainly with film sourced material. when scaling to 720p and 768p. Unfortunately, there's no way yet for the Hipix to detect when to use it and when not to.

MYHD sounds like a great card. I may end up getting one when they get TitanTV support.

·
Registered
490 Posts
DOS prompt :)

ren *.ts *.tp (or whatever) assuming you just want to change the extension and all the files are in the same directory...

Sean (who ordered a MyHD today :)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:
2) Setting up a recording is a bit tedious as it requires a number of key clicks in the "Reservation" Menu.
Apparently one of the earlier software releases required you to keep the app running for scheduled recordings to work (no service/tray-app). Is that still the case? Is there any "background-mode" for schedule recordings?

Quote:
FF and RW act just like a VCR's. No need for 15,30 sec,etc. FF/RW settings.
Do you really consider that a good thing? I personally love being able to skip a commercial with a click of the button; old-fashioned FF/RW is slower and more error-prone for commercial skipping.

Quote:
Does not map the ATSC channels to their names (eg. WJZTV-DT) nor does it map them to the corresponding channel number. EG. Shows Channel 38 instead of Channel 13
That's a positive in my book. I hate the way the HiPix remaps channels and the fact that it sometimes causes PID problems such as no ABC 5.1 audio from some stations, etc. I much prefer the way the AccessDTV handles channel tuning: although it does display PSIP info, the actual channel numbers are used for tuning.

Quote:
First impressions? This is the HDTV card to get.
Hmm, several crashes during a 3-hour period doesn't sound too good to me. I can see the appeal of this card for people with D-VHS decks, but otherwise it doesn't really sound too exciting. So what are you going to do with your HiPix cards? :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Joe,

Could you describe the FF/Rew? Does the myHD do sped-up smooth playback, etc.?

Also, regarding the OSD file selection, does it list all files on the HD or do you need to provide a playlist to choose from?

-Jon

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RTK
Cliff,

Is there a simple way to rename 100+ files? ;)

Thanks again.

Rick
Rick,

I don't rename them anymore. I use Twins File Merger to create a single TP file that will play on both HiPix and MyHD cards.

There is a utility program that will rename files but I can't think of the name at this moment.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RTK
Cliff,

Is there a simple way to rename 100+ files? ;)

Thanks again.

Rick
Rick,

For streaming DAT drive restores, I am writing a program that will rename them on the fly as they are being restored.

I need this as I have a library of about 25 movies,Sports,music specials, etc. on DAT tape with the Hipix naming convention.

I will make it available when it is done. I'll post a link in the avsforum for the program to get from my website when ready.

Will PM you when it is done.

Joe

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jon_rhees
Joe,

Could you describe the FF/Rew? Does the myHD do sped-up smooth playback, etc.?

Also, regarding the OSD file selection, does it list all files on the HD or do you need to provide a playlist to choose from?

-Jon
Jon,

The FF/RW from D-VHS is just like my old Panny HD1000 rig. You FF and get a frozen picture until you hit Play.

Regarding the OSD file selection, I only stumbled upon that when hitting the buttons on the remote and have not had time tonight to really play with it much.

Tomorrow, I will post a better explanation when I have time to understand it more.

After all, the card comes delivered with NO box,NO manual and only a one page install sheet - hint,hint Cliff:)

The HTML documentation that Cliff put on the DC website is a bit lacking in detail.

Joe

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"Also, regarding the OSD file selection, does it list all files on the HD or do you need to provide a playlist to choose from?"

Jon,

It is a playlist. You can add any amount of files to the playlist from the Config Panel and also have MyHD add files to the list as they are recorded.

Joe,

Real men don't need no stinking documentation. :D

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
â€Joe, do you know if it does 3:2 pulldown of 1080i film material like the way the Hipix does (720p/768p)?â€

Michael,

Are you saying that the HiPix only supports 3:2 pulldown of 1080i film material if you are scaling to 720 or 768p? That may explain why I get such bad combing with 1080i when using the delnterlace key in the registry and outputting to 1080i.

Cliff,

LOL. I am not sure what you were trying to achieve by deinterlacing for your interlaced display. :)

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Real men don't need no stinking documentation. :D
Cliff,

Then I guess you will have to answer a whole bunch of new questions:)

First round:

If MYHD is in the middle of recording something, How do I get it to schedule another recording?

When I click on that Config Panel Icon to get to the record setup, it says "Stop the Capture to operate this function"

Joe

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€LOL. I am not sure what you were trying to achieve by deinterlacing for your interlaced display.â€

Mr. Wigggles,

I’m glad that you think my efforts are funny. I was trying to force 1080p output from HiPix without down-scaling to 720p. You also assumed too much if you think I was using an interlaced HDTV to test HiPix. Hell man, that HDTV is but one of the many display devices I use for testing.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€If MYHD is in the middle of recording something, How do I get it to schedule another recording?

When I click on that Config Panel Icon to get to the record setup, it says "Stop the Capture to operate this function"â€

Joe,

As you see you can’t add more recordings after the first one starts, at least in this version of the software. Hopefully this will be added along with TitanTV support.

EDIT. MIT has ask us to provide a bug and feature request list to work on.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Quote:
[bEDIT. MIT has ask us to provide a bug and feature request list to work on.
hmmmmmm..... best start a new thread for that one!!!!

:D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.