AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have both a Hipix and a MYHd card, I needed a way that would allow me to play a recording made with one card on the other and vice versa.

I wrote a C++ program that provides several features that I needed for these 2 cards and perhaps some of you may find them useful as well.

Features:

1) This program will convert either version 2.31 named Hipix files or Version 3.0 named files (name.ts.0001 or name.ts.0001) to MYHD format.

It will ignore the .ch and .pid files as they have no meaning to MYHD.

2) It will convert from MYHD format to Hipix format.

When converting from MYHD to Hipix format, it will ONLY generate HiPix Version 3.0 compatible named files ie. name.0001.ts , so you MUST use the avsforum Version 3.0 Hipix SW to play them back.

3) The program will strip the Titan EPG leading string ie. [date/time] from Hipix files.

4) The program will dynamically rename from Hipix format to MYHD format when streaming back from a tape backup. You can start playback as soon as the first file is restored.

The program can be downloaded from here:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jequeen1/

Please note that I consider this still Beta code so you may want to try it on a 'disposable' recording first.

A couple of avsforum members have tested it and I think I have tested all combinations of file names but you never know so no b**ng please if it trashes a recording.

Let me know if you have any problems so I can fix it. Hopefully you should not.

Suggestions for improvements are welcome but it does what I want so lets not go overboard:)

Read the Release notes in the Zip file as it tells you how to run it.

It's really simple though since if you merely run it in a command prompt window with NO arguments, it will say "Invalid Useage" and display a mini help listing.

Joe

·
Registered
953 Posts
Joe Q,

Thanks for making this utility available. I'm sure that when many dual Hipix/MyHD users get their systems running, they will find this to be a valuable tool. I already have. Having to manually rename those transport files to play over my home network would not have been worth it otherwise.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Joe Q,

Your Myhdmigrator tool is excellent. I'm really surprised that there aren't any more postings on your thread about this program. I generally use arguments #1 and #3. I tried argument #2 just to see how it worked for now, but I may be using it more in the future as I get more comfortable using the MyHD card.

My primary concern is to keep the files backed up in numerical order when I copy converted files to tape using the Direct Tape Access backup program. The Hipix to MyHD file conversion (#1) backs up perfectly using DTA when I copy the entire directory containing a recorded show to tape.

With the MyHD to Hipix conversion (#3), the first converted file does not transfer in numerical order to tape when copying the entire directory, so I transfer it separately. The numbers assigned to the converted files are correct, it's just the copying order that is not correct. I also need to add .pid and .ch files to the tape. The Hipix application requires .pid files (and maybe .ch files) to stream properly from tape using DTA, otherwise I get a black screen. The .pid and .ch files are not necessary when the Hipix files are restored to the hard drive first.

Does anyone else have reports about this utility? Is there any possibility of getting a GUI for it? Thanks again for your excellent work.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is an updated version of this tool at:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jequeen1/

This version adds a GUI to the program.

The functions should work the same as the command line version since the actual code that does the various conversions/re-naming is the same.

The Tape restore function still needs a little work due to the code now being wrapped around a GUI.

Joe

·
Registered
532 Posts
Nice stuff. Well done!

But, what I would really like to see is a filesystem driver that transparently mapped the filenames based on mounting options. That way, a system could mount drive H: as the HiPix version and drive M: as the MyHD version, if you have a happen to have a system with both cards.

But I'm not a Windows hacker.

This would be pretty easy on Unix, though: you could then export the separate filesystems as Samba shares to a Windows system on your network with the HiPix and another Windows system with the MyHD. Now that'd be cool!

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Joe,

When I try to run the GUI converter I get a warning that it can't find MSVCRTD.DLL

Should that dll be included in the ZIP?

EDIT: OK I found that DLL in the MyHD folder and now it will not start because it can't find MFCO42D.DLL.

The MyHD folder has a MFC42D.dll

·
Registered
953 Posts
Joe Q,

I'm having the same problems as Cliff with the missing MSVCRTD.DLL file. I had the same errors in both Win98/SE and Win/XP (dual boot). It seems that MFC42D.DLL and the MFCO42.DLL files are also necessary to run this application.

I found older versions of these all these files (created in 1997) on one of my PC's and copied them to the Windows/System folder of both OS's, but they do not work. I tried overwriting the two available .DLL's from the MyHD application to the Windows/System folder, and that did not work. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by stjr
Joe Q,

I'm having the same problems as Cliff with the missing MSVCRTD.DLL file. I had the same errors in both Win98/SE and Win/XP (dual boot). It seems that MFC42D.DLL and the MFCO42.DLL files are also necessary to run this application.

Do you have any suggestions?
s***! I built that with the debugger and I think it is looking for those dll's.

Let me rebuild it without debugging enabled and see if that fixes it.

I do have an XP machine (holds second MYHD card) that is a bare bones install. I will test it there and post an update.

Joe

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah - got the same error on the 'bare bones' machine. Re-built with NO debug and it now runs on the other machine.

Please re-download and let me know if it is still looking for another Dll. It should NOT be.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RTK
Love the icon :)
Click on the little Icon in the upper left corner of the window and then Select ABOUT:)

Joe

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Joe,

Works great now. Thanks

Maybe I can use Rick's DVHS Tool with HiPix type files to copy to D-VHS tape.

P.S., Have you found the CM Skip functions on the Mits recorder yet?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
Joe,

Works great now. Thanks

Maybe I can use Rick's DVHS Tool with HiPix type files to copy to D-VHS tape.

P.S., Have you found the CM Skip functions on the Mits recorder yet?
I assume from your post that you were able to get Rick's tool to work?

As you recall from my email this morning, I can NOT.

I have had this thing for well over a month but do Not have a clue what a CM skip function is. Care to elaborate?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JamesElrod
What is the point of owning both MYHD and a HiPix? Does one card do something the other cant?
Lot's of info in the forum about these 2 cards. I could summarize my opinion of the pro's and con's of each but that would be OT plus potentially start an argument in this thread that I started.

For many of us, we have Hipix's and wanted to take advantage of the great price on the Power buy on the MYHD card. As the SW matures on MYHD, I suspect you will see more Hipix's up for sale.

Only thing holding me back is that awful timer recording setup on MYHD, NO Titan EPG integration and FF that doesn't work worth a darn.

I did sell 1 of my 2 Hipix's a few weeks ago.

Joe

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€I have had this thing for well over a month but do Not have a clue what a CM skip function is. Care to elaborate?â€

Joe,

CM Skip is the timed quick search used to skip commercials. It uses the number buttons on the Mits remote when in tape play mode to skip fwd 30sec w/#1, 1min w/#2, 1.5 min w/#3, 2 min w/#4, 2.5 min w/#5, and 3min w/#6 buttons. Works very well when playing tapes thru the MyHD card.

I have no problem using DVHS Tools with the HiPix file format. With the MyHD format DHVSTool only records the first file to tape.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson

I have no problem using DVHS Tools with the HiPix file format. With the MyHD format DHVSTool only records the first file to tape. [/b]
I'm working on this. I have a MyHD card but I use the Hipix for recording.

The fact that the first file doesn't have a number in it is REALLY annoying.

Do you think we could get them to give us some options on what file naming convention to use?

I'd pick the Hipix format every time but that's just me. :D

--Rick

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"The fact that the first file doesn't have a number in it is REALLY annoying. "

Rick,

If you run my conversion program and go from MYHD --> Hipix and then Hipix--> MYHD, that first file will then have a number of 01.

Only takes a few seconds.

Joe

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JamesElrod
What is the point of owning both MYHD and a HiPix? Does one card do something the other cant?
1) You can not have two MYHD cards in a computer at the same time.

2) You can not have two HIPIX cards in a computer at the same time. (The AVS team MAY fix this though)

3) You MIGHT be able to have a MYHD card and a HIPIX card in the same computer (I don't know, I havn't tried this)

If you can have two cards in the same machine, AND there is enough bandwidth, it should be possible to play the recording while it is being made on the other card. This would allow PVR like functionality, AND one could watch one show while recording another on a different channel, And one might be able to record two shows at once WITHOUT having to have two computers.

People are doing these things now, but currently it requires two computers networked togather.

Beyond that, some people just like to have the latest toy on the market :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.