AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I thought I'd ask this question while the PowerBuy at Digital Connection is still open. I'm definately leaning towards buying the MyHD MDP-100 Card for my HTPC (still no projector yet, but, I'm working on it).

Are there any benefits of having one card over the other? Any negatives? I'm hoping the knowledgeable veterans of HDTV Cards / Video Cards can help me out a bit here.

Much thanks in advance,

-sonic

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sonichart
Are there any benefits of having one card over the other? Any negatives?
A friend and I are talking about this very issue right now. Anybody out there with experience with both? A big question of mine is can you save the MyHD files on a DVD-R or something for later playback like you can with the HiPix?

Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am also thinking about purchasing the MyHD card.

I currently have the AccessDTV and HiPix cards. It seems that I like to try out all the new HDTV cards when they come out, to the detriment of my wallet. From a stability stand point, I'm having some trouble with my HiPix card in WinXP. Although I love the improvements made to the software by the AVSForum members, it has been the card I use.

I haven't used my ADTV card for a while due to its lack of software updates and encryption.

I see the benefits of the MyHD as follows:

1. serial remote - controllable by Girder?, way better than HiPix remote, and saves in purchasing IRMAN

2. save shows to D-VHS via firewire, vice versa?

3. produce less heat than the HiPix?

4. user selectable file size

5. windowed output as well as fullscreen output

Two Questions I have for the MyHD users:

1. I would like to know if the MyHD will record 8PSK(or whatever it is) or the format outputed by the DISH 6000. Or can it playback from a D-VHS if the show was first recorded from the DISH 6000 to D-VHS. Since I'm planning to get a DISH 6000 with a JVC D-VHS setup.

2. Will it play the files by just clicking on the .tp extension in Windows Explorer.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think i'm pretty much sold on everything the card has to offer, my one question (Cliff?)

Would be, can I display Full-Screen HDTV content on my Monitor/Projector WITHOUT using the loopback cable? I'd like to think I bought a DVI cable for a reason :)

-sonic

·
Registered
797 Posts
Isn't another difference the ability to tune *and* record NTSC as well?

I thought folks with the HiPix (and AccessDTC and Hauppauge) had to

get a separate NTSC tuner card for that...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by edmc

Good point, i think thats the purpose of the 2 coax antenna cables..

Anyone know whether I will be able to watch Full-Screen HDTV WITHOUT using the loopback cable?

Anyone? :)

-sonic

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote:

Actually, I believe the same is true for MyHD. I believe you can watch the NTSC and it upconverts, but are unable to record it.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Good point, i think thats the purpose of the 2 coax antenna cables..’

Actually it’s not the reason. You can record digital (8VSB) or analog (NTSC) from the same antenna input. With dual tuner inputs it is possible to use two different OTA antennas or one antenna and cable TV to the other input. If your cable system has “in-the-clear†8VSB it will also be tuned. On a single OTA input (or cable) the channel numbers are marked “A†to indicate analog or “D†for digital.

â€Anyone know whether I will be able to watch Full-Screen HDTV WITHOUT using the loopback cable?â€

Yes you can. MyHD has a setting for separate monitors. That is the way I use MyHD with the desktop (overlay) on a PC monitor and the HD output to a projector.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote:
The card does record NTSC but not via MPEG2 as rumored. Instead, it records 320x240 AVI files using the Indeo5 codec.
From an earlier post, so it DOES record NTSC, but only at 320x240 (less than VCD specs of 352x240)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The Nextwave tuner card may do a btter job with ASTC than the HiPix.

I haven ot heard any clear cut comparisons though.

Joel

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Having two separate antenna inputs that can both be used for ATSC recording is a nice feature. I can do this with my RCA DTC100. Right now with the AccessDTV card I have to use an A/B antenna switch to switch between my two antennas.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have a Mitsubishi 46809 RPTV. This set has RGBHV, component, composite and S-video inputs. My question: Can I access the Windows Xp desk top on the Mits screen? And, if so, how?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€1. I would like to know if the MyHD will record 8PSK(or whatever it is) or the format outputed by the DISH 6000. Or can it playback from a D-VHS if the show was first recorded from the DISH 6000 to D-VHS. Since I'm planning to get a DISH 6000 with a JVC D-VHS setup.â€

I don’t thing the Dish 6000 outputs 8VSB like the older Dish5000.

â€2. Will it play the files by just clicking on the .tp extension in Windows Explorer.â€

Yes it will.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ecrabb

A friend and I are talking about this very issue right now. Anybody out there with experience with both? A big question of mine is can you save the MyHD files on a DVD-R or something for later playback like you can with the HiPix?

Thanks!
Yes you can. I just burned "It's All Here" file to CD-R and played it back from my DVD-ROM drive by clicking on the file. You should be able to get a 30 minute show on a single DVD-R.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Cliff will the card put out a 480P signal to a monitor ?? I have a loewe 32" TV that is only capable of 480P so I need to be able to put everything out at 480P. I know it's not the best setup but the main use for this set is for watching regular TV broadcasts and I like what the Loewe scaler does with Standard DirecTV signals. All I would like to do is increase the PQ of our local channels (all are digital).

Also I have a widescreen HD setup in the Home Theater when there is something special on to watch.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Trevorsplace,

Yes, it will output 720x480 for 480p displays, which is similar to the limitation on many 42" plasma sets.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I haven't followed all of the MyHD threads so I apologize if this has already been asked. When NTSC is converted to 720p or 1080i, is the subsequent output pillarboxed?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Man E
I haven't followed all of the MyHD threads so I apologize if this has already been asked. When NTSC is converted to 720p or 1080i, is the subsequent output pillarboxed?
Excellent question.

I'd like to thank Cliff and everyone else who has posted here, you've been very helpfull!!!

Cliff, is it possible to get some screenshots of this card in action? I guess I would be most interested in upconverted NTSC material and then some HD material at 720p and/or 1080i.

Thanks again!

-sonic

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sonichart,

One of the problems with posting screen shots is that the images are static. I have both NTSC (from the MDP-100 tuner) and DirecTV (via the S Video input) that I watch all of the time (still not a lot of HD content...). The NTSC/DirecTV shows look great when the objects in the foreground are large. Images of small objects or sporting events from a distance, esp. with a lot of motion, tend to lose a lot of detail and look blurry. One good test might be to get a capture of the NBA Playoffs when the camera is panned way back (small players with motion).

I can say that the upscaling quality is pretty close to my KBK modified Zoltrix card/Dscaler combo (high praise).

It still comes town to what you're feeding the card - there's not much you can do with extremely low detail.

Darryl

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Darryl, is the NTSC display to which you refer pillarboxed (i.e., black bars on the side to preserve the 16:9 aspect ratio)? Also, is there any way to set the size of the area that is used for the converted image? I'm curious about that because it would be convenient on some configurations to not have the image expanded completely to prevent the wash out or other video abberations related to doing so.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.