AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the MDP-120 card that I got from digital connections yesterday. The problem is that it will not tune in any channels, and it will not go into full screen mode.

PC Setup:

CPU :p4 1.6A

MB :Asus P4B266

Video :ATI AIW 7500

** update **

on IRQ 20 MyHD MDP-120 by itself

I have tired it in each open PCI slot, the last one I tried has the card

with an IRQ that is not used by anything else

First problem is that the drivers never installed per the instructions. When I get to the install page where you select "Search for the best driver in these locations" and check "include this location in the search", I browse to the CD location which is for me "D:\\Driver\\win_xp". When I click NEXT I do not get XP warning for compatibility, instead it always says "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software".

The only way that I could install the driver was to select "Don't seach, I will choose the driver to install" instead of "Search for best driver..." like above. Then from there select "Macro Image Technology, Inc." and click the HAVE DISK button and select the SAME CD location listed above. Then it will install fine. Following that I installed the application without any problems.

Now that everything seems ok I start the application and the overlay comes up and says not signal. I am using the Silver Sensor antenna from Zenith. I have checked antennaweb and found the direction to point but nothing. I have also connected my Time Warner cable to the ANT2 connection and I am unable to tune in anything from that either. The other problem is that the full screen mode never works. I have tried both the single monitor setup, and the dual monitor setup. When I am using the dual monitor setup I get NOTHING on the monitor connected to the MyHD VGA output.

The only time that I have seen anything on the overlay was when I connected my VCR to the composite input and selected that input on the MyHD application. The overlay displayed the video, but full screen still will not work. The remote has worked fine and I have no problems with that.

I bought this so that I could watch the Superbowl in HD on my projector, did I get a lemon? If so I don't even want it anymore. Now I have just three days before the game and there is no way to get one that works in time. Very frustrated! Is there anything that could cause this that can be fixed or configured?

I would appreciate any help with this,

Mike

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Sounds like the driver is not installed properly. Did you check the driver in Device Manager to ensure it does not had a problem?

One other question. Did you do a channel scan to determine what channels you have in your area?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cliff, I was never able to install the driver per the instructions like I mentioned, I had to do it in an alternative way. However, in the device manager it is listed under "Sound, video and game controllers" with the title "MDP100 Video Capture". If I right click and select properties it says "This device is working properly".

As far as the channel scan, I have run it several times with no results so far. I have run it on both ANT1 and ANT2 with the Silver sensor attached to either, and have also run the channel scan with my Time Warner cable plugged into each with no results. When I select up or down channel you can see in the application that it cycles through AIR and HRC for the channel number but nothing coems up. Also, nothing is ever listed in the Active Channel list following the Auto Scan.

Remember that I can never see anything in HD or full screen mode either. Currentl I am setup with two monitors to hopefully make figuring this out easier. I just ran the channel scan again and I still have nothing.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelG
Great. No way to get a rep[lacement now in time for Sunday. I just want to return it and look for something else.
Actually you could get a replacement before the weekend, but you would have to call DC and work with them.

â€I just want to return it and look for something else.â€

What ever sinks your boat.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"What ever sinks your boat"

With all due respect, this has sunk my boat so far. I had the card for two days and it appears to be defective. Now I am most likely out some more shipping charges even if I can get a card by tomorrow, which should be high because FedEx doesn't like to deliver on Saturday.

Now I have to spend my own time calling and trying to haggle to get a new card here by tomorrow? To make a statement like that after what has happened to me is ridiculous.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Before you rip the card out, I'd try downloading the latest drivers in case the CD sent to you was defective.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Support/cn_myhd_7.asp

I just downloaded the updated drivers yesterday, and XP had no problem with the install.

BTW, I copied the drivers to a CD-R that had the prior version on it also, copying the entire directory structure (including unnecessary drivers, etc.). I just had Windows search the CD, and the biggest problem was picking the right driver since it found 8 versions, only two of which were for XP (the others for ME, 98 and ??). That "biggest problem" wasn't much of a problem, however, because it was pretty clear which drivers were the XP drivers, and which was the latest.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Karyk, I tried the new drivers already. I still get the same install errors as mentioned above when I let XP search for the drivers on a CD or directory, "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software". The only way I can install any drivers is to choose "Don't seach, I will choose the driver to install", and select MIT as the manufacturer and MDP100 as the product, then click HAVE DISK button to browse to the driver location on my hard drive. WinXP never is able to install the hardward by way of a normal install.

I even have a Win98 box that I tried installing on with the same results. If the card is bad then it's possible that WinXP can't query the card for it's information to do the install the normal way.

I have tried all this numerous times, different ways, re-installing the same drivers, with no results. I really wanted this card as opposed to the other products out there, but it appears that this one I have is defective. As mentioned before, I doubt that I can get a replacement by tomorrow, but I am going to call them and ask anyway.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Quote:
Karyk, I tried the new drivers already. I still get the same install errors as mentioned above when I let XP search for the drivers on a CD or directory, "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software". The only way I can install any drivers is to choose "Don't seach, I will choose the driver to install", and select MIT as the manufacturer and MDP100 as the product, then click HAVE DISK button to browse to the driver location on my hard drive. WinXP never is able to install the hardward by way of a normal install.
Why would the drivers already be on your harddrive? Using the method I described, everything should be on the CD.

To clarify further, unzip the files to a directory, and then copy that directory, including all subdirectories, to a CD-R. Have Windows search the CD. Everything should be on the CD and Windows should be able to find it without problem.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I downloaded the new drivers to my hard drive. I can install the drivers on the CD that came with the card, but only with the method I mentioed above. They just won't install with the standard method.

Is there something magic about installing drivers from a CD that is different from a hard drive? Maybe there is but I have never had a problem installing anything on my computer in two years, either from a CD or by downloading updated drivers to my hard drive and doing it. I understand what you are asking me to do, but why won't the new drivers install from my hard drive? They should just like anything else right.

I am going to call technical support first thing when they open, since I am CST I can go home for early lunch and try to get this worked out. I will also try to burn a CD with the new drivers and see if that works too as you suggested.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Quote:
Is there something magic about installing drivers from a CD that is different from a hard drive?
I've actually had the opposite problem, where things will install from hard drive but not CD. I never really figured out why, but it was some sort of conflict created by the driver for the CD, because a fresh install of XP seemingly made the rather frequent problem go away. This just seems like more of a software problem than a hardware problem, since you're getting errors on the install of software.

BTW, since I just did this yesterday, this is reasonably clear in my mind. Prior to installing the drivers (after a fresh install of XP), the device was showing up under the Device Manager (which I assume you know how to find) as a "Multimedia Device" or some such thing, rather than a MyHD card. Rather than use the Add New Hardware Wizzard, for some reason I think I just installed the driver from the Device Manager (because I was there--it's not something I typically do). You might try the same thing.

I'd start by uninstalling the device in Device Manager and then rebooting so that the device again shows up. If it tries to automatically install the device, stop that process and go to Device Manager and select update driver. That will then take you to the Hardware Wizzard, but specifically for that device. You can do the search from there.

Also, you might try disconnecting from the Internet, turning off all antivirus software, firewalls and anything else running in background (using MSConfig). I had the old version of DirecPC modem (Sat. Internet) which was giving me all sorts of installation headaches until I did that. Something running on my system was causing a conflict with the install. I never did figure out what it was.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update, when installing or updating the drivers with the method that I have explained above I get this message...

"Installing this device is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware. If the driver is not compatible, your hardware will not work correctly and your computer might become unstable or stop working completely. Do you want to continue installing this driver?"

Following this I get the screen that states "The software you are installing for this hardware... MDP100 Video Capture.. has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP..." Then I click Continue Anyway and it installs. The device manager states that the device is working properly, ect. Driver details show the correct file version as well.

I am wondering if the Window I see about compatibility wih the hardware comes up because XP can't communicate with the hardware to determine what it is. Maybe that is the same reason why I can't install from the CD as well, because XP can't determine what the hardware is. If that's the case then I definately have a defective card.

Is anyone familiar with something like this, could I be right about the OS communication with the card?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Karyk, I just read your last post. I will try that at lunch today. Thanks for the info. The only thing that I am unsure about is how to stop the automatic installation of the Multimedia Device. The only thing I can think of is to click the X in the upper right corner of the popup that displays when the install starts.

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
423 Posts
1. is your time warner cable digital or analog? if it's digital, you wouldn't be able to tune any channels even if the card was working properly.

2. have you tried moving the antenna around, or did you just point it in the right direction and then left it alone? i'm also using the silver sensor. it's good at picking up signals, but it's very direction and position sensitive--if i turn it a few degrees the wrong way, my signal can go from 50% to 0%. likewise, if i move it 6 inches in one direction, a great signal can go to 0%. if you haven't already, try moving the antenna around the room at varying angles and heights.

3. how far are you from the broadcasting tower?

4. i have noticed that the mdp-120 doesn't like the combination of ota->antenna1 + cable->antenna2. try doing ota->antenna2 + cable->antenna1 (or don't connect the cable).

bob

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bob,

We have digital cable, but only for the upper channels, I plugged the same input that was going into my VCR into the MDP-120. With this same connection plugged into my ATI AIW I can tune in the same channels as my VCR no problem.

I have tried moving the antenna completely around, with differing heights. According to antennaweb all my stations are the same direction from where I live about 12-18 miles away, not too far.

I have also tried every combination of ota->ANT1, ota->ANT2, cable->ANT1, cable->ANT2, ota->ANT1 + cable->ANT2, ect... I still never get anything. ALSO, full screen mode never works, the overlay works on my main monitor, but regardless off whether I am using one monitor or using a second monitor for the HD or full screen I get nothing in that mode. When using two monitors I never even see anything on the on connected to the MDP-120 output. I have tried with "Using separate monitor" checked and unchecked. Booted several times, still nothing.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Quote:
"Installing this device is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware. If the driver is not compatible, your hardware will not work correctly and your computer might become unstable or stop working completely. Do you want to continue installing this driver?"

Following this I get the screen that states "The software you are installing for this hardware... MDP100 Video Capture.. has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP..." Then I click Continue Anyway and it installs. The device manager states that the device is working properly, ect. Driver details show the correct file version as well.

I am wondering if the Window I see about compatibility wih the hardware comes up because XP can't communicate with the hardware to determine what it is.
I don't recall the first message. The second message is expected and merely indicates that the driver isn't MSFT certified--not a big deal in this case. The first message would cause me concern.

I guess at this point my best advise would be to use the MSConfig to turn everything off at boot (don't forget to disconnect from the Internet) and see if that gets you past this mess. Also I'd still try the CD thing.

I feel your pain about the Superbowl. I installed a cheap Belkin USB Wireless adaptor this week. It's drivers totally fried my XP setup to the point where the recovery console in XP's setup couldn't even log onto the drive. If I didn't have a different drive in the computer that I could install XP onto temporarily, that drive would have been toast. Right now that computer has only the original version of XP Pro, with no updates, the MyHD software and Powerstrip installed. I don't want to risk anything happening to it prior to the Superbowl! I'll deal with updates, etc. later. ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I have now tried all suggestions with no results. Even used MSConfig. I used my Silver Sensor connected to my VCR and tuned channels with that, then connect only that antenna to the MyHD card and scanned for channels but nothing came up. The card has to be faulty. I am going to call digitalconnections and return it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.