Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post and am loving this forum. I am reading as much as I can and have learned a tremendous amount on HDTV and HTPC stuff.

I read a HD tuner card buying guide post in this forum, and am leaning toward the MD-120 myHD card. Here are my goals for my HTPC:

1 - Record analog TV in perfect audio/video sync for archiving into DivX (have had bad A/V sync with an ATI TV Wonder using PowerVCR, WinDVD, etc)

2 - Record from Digital cable box using S-VID and stereo jacks (digital cable channels are HBO, DiscWings, DiscSci, music-only channels)

3 - Record HDTV programming

For 3, I figure the MDP-120 would do the trick. But can it also do 1 & 2 well enough that it holds A/V sync properly and with PVR/EPG functionality? As for 2, I am planning on using the auto-tune feature of the Digital cable box to change the channel, then have the software record from the S-VID input at that certain time.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Canopus ADVC-50 and ADVC-100 from vcdhelp.com, and was planning on using that for #2 above. But thats like another $200.

As for #1, I currently have the Creative Digital VCR, but I cannot get it to pick up a single station off the cable input! It does however see stations modulated using a channel pointer. Besides, I've heard that it has issues with its files being in some non-standard format. So, for #1, I havent decided what to do yet. I used to run a TV Wonder with WinDVR / PowerVCR, but A/V gets lost, and the program usually hangs after a few recordings, or jsut refuses to start altogether.

I can either:

a. Get a hardware PVR card like Hauppauge PVR 250. I've seen much praise on this product here, but many dissatisfied people (becuase of its software) elsewhere.

b. Use the Canopus ADVC-50 with an external TV tuner card like a USB-TV Tuner box, then capture its output through the ADVC-50. This way, I am guaranteed A/V sync.

Automating the channel-changing for the ADVC-50 would probably be done by the Windows Task Scheduler using some sort of 3rd-party macro program.

Any suggestion(s) will be greatly appreciated. By the way, my OS will be Win2003 Server, which is basically XP-SP1 with server stuff added on top.

brainiac88

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
Brain--

You say nothing about CPU, etc. If you throw in enough CPU muscle, put all on a well-designed motherboard, and mix in a lot of patience to get configuration just right, the MDP-120 will handle #1 and #2 just fine. Leave out any of those ingredients and you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I filled out my config during the registration process, and expected it to show up at my post.

Anyway, here it is:

Asus A7M266-D Dual Athlon 760MPX

2x Athlon 1700 T-Bred B @ 2.133GHz

512MB DDR 266MHz

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

·
Registered
48 Posts
I may be completely off in this assumption (please correct me if I'm wrong since I plan on buying a myhd soon) but from the research I've done, if I recall correctly, the NTSC tuner that the myhd cards use is a bt8x8 chipset which means it'd be supported under the btwincap drivers. This would also mean that you could use a app like Virtualdub or AVI_IO to capture analogue signals.

A little bit off topic, but wrt to the original posters first point of sync problems with the ati card the way to fix that is to use the software mpeg-mediator (its the only piece I've found to work) to convert the captured mpg to a huffyuv or mjpeg avi and then convert that to your preferred format. Alternativly if you were using the ati card on a windows 9x system you could just use older VFW drivers allowing you to capture straight to avi with Virtualdub or AVI_IO and encode from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.