AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am having a little trouble understanding how one would make the connections between a Mits CRT RPTV and the MDP-130 card so that only one input is used? And so the desktop could accessed via the TV and not another monitor. Please excuse my ignorance but I just don't get it.

According to this tutorial It can only be done through a component input with a transcoder.

My question is why can't a breakout cable be used in the "Configuration 3" situation after the pass through has been made and the signal is being output from the 130?

BTW I also have available an ATI VGA to component adapter and a VGA to RGBHV RCA cable if they can used in any way.

The TV has 3 types of HD inputs available..

1) Component

2) RGBHV

3) DVI (not really what I want to use because I'd have to drop the coin on the daughter card and heck it's a CRT TV anyway)

Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Use the RGBHV input on the TV. You connect a short VGA to VGA cable between the graphice card and MyHD card and then a VGA to RGBHV breakout cable between MyHD and the TV.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Cliff. Anything else I should know about this combination of card and TV? This will be my first forray into an HTPC of any kind.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I correct in that you mean 1080i, 480p or 480i? Because I know that this set won't accept a 720p signal and I'm not sure what it'll do with 540p.

I just read the manual and it recommends using component input whenever possible because RGBHV 'timings' are not universal. Is the timing issue something that can be tweaked with the 130's software package to view 1080i material? I know I had prolems before on my old Mits when using the RGBHV input and my Sony SAT-HD200.

I also remember reading that powerstrip can be used to tweak the vid cards output for the desktop right?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I use VGA to RGBHV from my 9800pro to my Mits 65-411. I output 1776x1000 for little overscan. To read text, 960x540p. But I've been running dual monitor setup for the last 2 years so I just use 1776x1000. You will need powerstrip. It already has ATI presets so it's easy. Oh, w/ the dongle, it'll have the macrovision restriction so use RGBHV...mike...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have another question..

If I wanted to use two separate inputs on the TV would I be able to say use the DVI out of my vid card for my desktop on the DVI input and use the VGA output to component breakout cable for the MYHD?

If so what would be the pros and cons of either this way or the forementioned method?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S
I have another question..

If I wanted to use two separate inputs on the TV would I be able to say use the DVI out of my vid card for my desktop on the DVI input and use the VGA output to component breakout cable for the MYHD?

If so what would be the pros and cons of either this way or the forementioned method?

Thanks.

That's the method I use, but with Component out of my X800XT PE. The only con is that you're using two inputs of your Mits.

The only real pro for this config is due to audio switching with my remote. With a one cable config, you have to issue the HD command from the MyHD remote to change the picture, and then issue an audio input command to your audio receiver. Yes, this can be done with a macro, but not all remotes do macros.

With the two cable config, when I switch display inputs, my remote also switches audio inputs. (Set up as an activity with my Harmony remot)

Also, since the Mits has IR ports built into it, the TV itself can send the send the audio input command, in case your remote doesn't support macros.

One other pro is that an ISF tech can calibrate your set for each input. In this case, as long as you know the scoped settings for your video card and accompanying software, you're pretty close to a perfect picture even when you upgrade to different versions. (Since the Mits is calibrated to the video card).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So a VGA output to component breakout cable when used from the 130 doesn't require a transcoder?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.