AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I just just the card and have spent a few hours pulling my hair out trying to get a desktop on the Mits with a toolbar, icons etc..

My current HTPC configuration is..

Athlon XP 2600M

Abit NF7-S V2

ATI Radeon 9600SE (both DVI and VGA)

MYHD MDP-130

Samsung 160G HD

Maxtor 160G HD

Lite-on 1653 DVD-RW

Sony DVD-Rom

Mitsubishi WS-65413 CRT RPTV

Currently I am using the provided loop back cable from the 9600 to the MHP-130 > VGA to 5 RCA RGBHV breakout cable into the Mits.

I did a fresh install of XP Pro last night using a Sammy 19" LCD monitor so the puter set it as the main display. I sucessfully added a 2nd display (the Mits) and got a 848x480 resolution for it using Powerstrip. The only way I can get a usable desktop is on my Sammy monitor via DVI. The MYHD window displays on the Sammy and if I toggle to HD mode I get a full screen picture on my TV. But..

Here's the problem.. If I disconnect the DVI cable I get nothing on the Mits? When I do have the Sammy hooked up via the DVI output of the ATI 9600 I can get a quasi desktop on the Mits. It like I get a partial image of the desktop I see on the Sammy but there are no icons or anything.

I did try making the Mits the Primary display but even though I had a mouse pointer I had no toolbar or Icons?

I want to use the VGA pass through for my desktop and be able to toggle between it and HD mode for HDTV viewing. But I don't know what to do???

Help me please! I've tried searching the site but I can't find anything specific enough to help me.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian S
Anyone??
When you had the MITS as the primary display did you try to uncheck the expand my desktop onto this monitor for the Sammy?

That should bring all your desktop items on to the HD display set as a desktop.

What is the purpose of messing around with the Sammy? Do you plan to keep it around and use it normally - if so fine but if not it shouldn't be needed once you get a desktop on the HDTV.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch
When you had the MITS as the primary display did you try to uncheck the expand my desktop onto this monitor for the Sammy?

That should bring all your desktop items on to the HD display set as a desktop.

What is the purpose of messing around with the Sammy? Do you plan to keep it around and use it normally - if so fine but if not it shouldn't be needed once you get a desktop on the HDTV.
No I couldn't because I couldn't get the mouse on the samsung's screen to make any changes. All I had was the mouse pointer on the Mits screen. Maybe I could have? I don't know this is my first time with 2 monitors hooked up at the same time.

I had the sammy hooked up because when I booted up with just the Mits connected I got nothing. Later I realized that the H+V cables were inverted so that's why I got nothing when I booted up. However I figured I needed to make the necessary resolution changes via Powerstrip before I could use the Mits anyway. I just booted up tonight to check out MNF and I got the POST screen (although it was warped looking) followed by the Windows ticker but then nothing after that, no desktop. Now this is without the Samsung connected.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
It still seems like is all you have to do is uncheck the box to extend the windows desktop onto this monitor (the Sammy) by right clicking on the desktop and going into the monitor settings. If you have to have the Sammy connected to do this then connect it up one final time (seems like applications are trying to open on the Sammy versus the MITS).

This really should have nothing to do with the MyHD as you can do all this with the HDTV connected directly to the video card - but it should make no difference if you are in passthrough mode either

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
It still seems like is all you have to do is uncheck the box to extend the windows desktop onto this monitor (the Sammy) by right clicking on the desktop and going into the monitor settings.
Well I wish you were right. I did that and the desktop did indeed switch over to the Mits. Yeah, I thought! But I thought I'd better reboot to make sure it took...It didn't :(

When I rebooted I got the distorded post screen on the Mits followed by the Windows logo/ticker screen and then a black screen.

So I did it again and I even went as far as to uninstall the Samsung from the device manager the this time around. But that did't work either... black screen again after the Windows ticker.

I just don't get it. I mean I make it the primary display, uncheck the extend the desktop from the Samsung and all seems right in the world, then I reboot and I'm right back where I started again. WTF!!

C'mon guys someone has to know what the hell is going on here????

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I think you should change the title to eliminate MyHD and just try to re-post about setting up your display. You aren't getting many views so people that know how to help aren't reading the thread.

I would recommend connecting the HDTV directly and leaving the MyHD out of the mix until you get your display working right. Once you have that set up its easy enough to enable pass through. Until then you could just use a separate cable and use separate monitor approach - but a post that just addressess your MITS would get more people that know how to set it up as a computer monitor

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
I think you should change the title to eliminate MyHD and just try to re-post about setting up your display. You aren't getting many views so people that know how to help aren't reading the thread.
I think you're right Ralph. I just strated a new thread located here .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.