AVS Forum banner

6321 - 6340 of 13024 Posts

·
Registered
12,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy81 /forum/post/0

I have an issue with my OSD where sometimes I can go through the recorded files list very quickly and everything reacts instantly to the remote (this is perhaps 10% to 15% of the time)

The rest of the time the OSD is very slow and sluggish to react when surfing through the recorded files list.

Anyone know if this has been addressed before in this forum and if so on what page? I could not find it if it has been addressed.

Thanks.

See "menu sloth bug" in the Meta FAQ.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been reading through this whole MyHD-130 FAQ. Thank you for all of the information. I actually have the MP-120 and I am having a problem with overscan, and the image not being centered. I tried using the scansetup.exe and the syncoffset.exe. Neither seemed to do anything. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Justin

·
Registered
9,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucci /forum/post/0

I have been reading through this whole MyHD-130 FAQ. Thank you for all of the information. I actually have the MP-120 and I am having a problem with overscan, and the image not being centered. I tried using the scansetup.exe and the syncoffset.exe. Neither seemed to do anything. Any other suggestions?

Did you disable DVI prior to using the utilities? Did you restart MyHD App after saving the values? Have you tried VGA instead of DVI?

·
Registered
365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by netman /forum/post/0

You can't have component and VGA output from MyHD at the same time. You control this from the MyHD config menu or the on screen menu system. So you could sort of do what you want but you would need to switch the MyHD output at the same time you switch the VGA switch. Not very convenient. You would want to change the output rez also since your monitor would do considerably better than 480i.

Yeah, I realize I would have to manually switch the output type in MyHD depending upon whether I'm watching something on the monitor or the TV. So I guess it would work then. And you're right, the convenience factor is low, but I'm more concerned with quality than convenience (as much quality as I can get out of what I have, that is). I like watching shows from the couch with audio passed to my Denon. I've tried using the graphics card's s-video out before, set as a 2nd display, but I could never get a very good picture, so thats why I'm considering this option. This is my poor man's solution until I pony up for an HDTV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson /forum/post/0

gunner--

That might work, but it would be simpler to operate the rig if you put in a Y-connection in the VGA output and run one leg to your monitor and the other via a transcoder to your TV. I don't know if the reflections introduced in the line by a passive Y-connector would be objectionable or not. If so, you could use an active splitter instead.

I hadn't thought of just trying a Y-connector. By reflections, do you mean something like ghosting? The transcoder would add a bit of convenience, but I'd still have to make the manual switch in MyHD settings to change the rez to 480i, right?

Thanks for your input, guys. Perhaps I should just dump this idea and get an Xcard or something similar?

·
Registered
12,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gunner /forum/post/0

....but I'd still have to make the manual switch in MyHD settings to change the rez to 480i, right?

"manual" yes, but using a remote keyboard or programmable remote it wouldn't be terribly inconvenient.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
After a storm rolled through last week, I seem to have lost my serial IR receiver (it sometimes works, but mostly fails tu initialize; it is possible that it's the serial port itself, since the on-board ethernet was also lost, but I switched to the second port and that didn't work either, and don't really have anything I could easily test the port with). Can any serial IR receiver be used as a replacement? Is there a source for a replacement, IR or USB?

Xesdeeni

·
Registered
379 Posts
Slightly OT, but, speaking of storms, any recommendations for myhd protection from lightning strikes via the OTA input?

I protect the computer power supply by running through a surge protector & backup, I also use a surge protector for the DSL phone line. The residual vulnerability is a surge down the OTA antenna cable.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Xesdeeni and George--

I believe that DC (and probably other MyHD vendors) stock serial and USB IR receivers so that you can purchase a replacement.

There are surge arrestors, even some in UPS boxes, for antennal leads. (We don't use 'em out here where there are "no" electrical storms, but I see adverts)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Funny thing is that I did have the computer on an UPS. The modem was on one too, including the phone line. We'll see whether their warranties actually work in practice.

Xesdeeni

·
Registered
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepds /forum/post/0

Slightly OT, but, speaking of storms, any recommendations for myhd protection from lightning strikes via the OTA input?

I protect the computer power supply by running through a surge protector & backup, I also use a surge protector for the DSL phone line. The residual vulnerability is a surge down the OTA antenna cable.

If your coax comes in from outside. You should use a grouding block to a grounding rod. If you have a outside antenna that should also be grounded.

Heres a diagram on this site: hdtvprimer(dot)com/ANTENNAS/basics.html

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Hi Everyone,

There is a discussion going on over at this thread about the new nVidia beta drivers, and how the user can now select between video levels (16-235) and PC levels (0-255). Back in September, Cliff and Terry tackled this issue, with Terry giving his best guess here.

My HP MD5880n can be set for either video levels or PC levels. I suspect the the MyHD DVI output is using PC levels because I lose black detail when I set my TV to use video levels, and MyHD output looks great when the TV is set to PC levels. However, when using TheaterTek and VMR9, my TV looks better when set to video levels (as it should, since previous nVidia drivers use video levels).

I am curious whether anyone else has any comments on this subject. Is there a test I can do to verify for certain which levels MyHD is using? Also, is there any way to select between video and PC levels using a registry setting? When using the DVI passthrough, it would be nice to have the video card and MyHD using the same levels.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:

Andy, this seems to be a reasonable lead, except that I'm not finding either MaximumTransferSize nor a DebugLevel associated with MyIRC in my Registry. Where are you finding these values?

Sorry about the slow response on the answer.

The parameters MaximumTransferSize and DebugLevel are in

HKey_Local_Machines-->...-->Services --> MyIRC_USB --> Parameters

I hope that is sufficient. Since I didn't get a chance to do this last night, the names were being read over the phone and I didn't want to push my luck by asking to have more read :)

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Well, that explains why I'm not finding those parameters...I don't have a USB MyHD remote.

Perhaps someone else who has a USB remote and has observed the freeze-on-FF problem can confirm Andy's fix?

·
Registered
12,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner /forum/post/0

Hi Everyone,

There is a discussion going on over at this thread about the new nVidia beta drivers, and how the user can now select between video levels (16-235) and PC levels (0-255). Back in September, Cliff and Terry tackled this issue, with Terry giving his best guess here.

My HP MD5880n can be set for either video levels or PC levels. I suspect the the MyHD DVI output is using PC levels because I lose black detail when I set my TV to use video levels, and MyHD output looks great when the TV is set to PC levels. However, when using TheaterTek and VMR9, my TV looks better when set to video levels (as it should, since previous nVidia drivers use video levels).

I am curious whether anyone else has any comments on this subject. Is there a test I can do to verify for certain which levels MyHD is using? Also, is there any way to select between video and PC levels using a registry setting? When using the DVI passthrough, it would be nice to have the video card and MyHD using the same levels.

Thanks,

Dave

I've just confirmed with MIT that the MyHD output (because it's made to conform to the SMPTE-274M standard) is fixed at "video" levels of 16-235 (16-240 for Cb/Cr) and cannot be changed.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts

Quote:

I've just confirmed with MIT that the MyHD output (because it's made to conform to the SMPTE-274M standard) is fixed at "video" levels of 16-235 (16-240 for Cb/Cr) and cannot be changed.

Terry,

Thanks a lot for confirming this. Since I have my TV at the wrong setting, I really need to calibrate the TV for MyHD using the video level setting. Also, it is nice to know that I should not use PC levels for VMR if I use the DVI passthrough.

-Dave

·
Registered
9,578 Posts

Quote:

YCbCr video (per HDMI spec) is always 16-235/16-240. It is only with RGB conversion where we have the 0-255 and 16-235 issues. I think MITs response would have been clearer if they referenced RGB instead of CbCr. I suppose their answer also applies to RGB levels being fixed to 16-235, or did they only answer the question you posed relative to YCbCr?

·
Registered
12,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub /forum/post/0

YCbCr video (per HDMI spec) is always 16-235/16-240. It is only with RGB conversion where we have the 0-255 and 16-235 issues. I think MITs response would have been clearer if they referenced RGB instead of CbCr. I suppose their answer also applies to RGB levels being fixed to 16-235, or did they only answer the question you posed relative to YCbCr?

The question that I passed along, which came from a discussion about Nvidia DVI outputs, which evidently are not guaranteed always to be 16-235/240 AIUI, referred to DVI output--hence, the YCbCr (digital) reference in the answer. I expect that the YPrPb/RGB outputs are also to the "video" specification though.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts

Quote:

The question that I passed along, which came from a discussion about Nvidia DVI outputs, which evidently are not guaranteed always to be 16-235/240 AIUI, referred to DVI output--hence, the YCbCr (digital) reference in the answer. I expect that the YPrPb/RGB outputs are also to the "video" specification though.

Either I'm confusing you or you are confusing me

I thought the nVidia discussion was referring to the DVI port outputting RGB standard 16-235 or extended 0-255 range?

I don't know many people outputting YCbCr from the DVI-D port of an nVidia. I don't even know how to convince my nVidia card to output YCbCr from the DVI-D port. The HDTV options in the driver specify HDTV timings but I believe the output is still RGB.

Maybe I'm just totally confused.

·
Registered
36 Posts
P4 3Ghz, 1GB Ram, MDP-130 1.66e drivers. OTA only.

SPDIF is passed through a seperate sound card to my A/V receiver.

Sometimes, when watching recorded or timeshifted HD content, the Audio will start to get jerky... the audio seems fine.... Ironically, it seems to only occur on the ABC Network programing as well, but that might be a coincident. The stutter will resolve itself if I tap the FF button.

My PC is in a cabinate and is prone to get warm... do you think this is an overheating issue? Or something else?

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtjlamb /forum/post/0

P4 3Ghz, 1GB Ram, MDP-130 1.66e drivers. OTA only.

SPDIF is passed through a seperate sound card to my A/V receiver.

Sometimes, when watching recorded or timeshifted HD content, the Audio will start to get jerky... the audio seems fine.... Ironically, it seems to only occur on the ABC Network programing as well, but that might be a coincident. The stutter will resolve itself if I tap the FF button.

My PC is in a cabinate and is prone to get warm... do you think this is an overheating issue? Or something else?

Check that... the Video will become jerky... the audio is fine.

6321 - 6340 of 13024 Posts