AVS Forum banner

6381 - 6400 of 13024 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson /forum/post/0

If you don't find it "intuitive" that a PDF produced by a Korean company might have a need for some korean characters, I think you need to get out more.

I see the smiley, but so I'm not sure how serious to take your posting. A manual transcribed into another language should not have any native language pieces in it. Just my take on that

Quote:
BTW, rather than carping about the wealth and size of this thread, you can find answers to a lot of questions in the "Meta FAQ" that sfhub has painstakingly created for newbies.

Oh-oh, that statement is just begging for this response, so here it comes...

So, newbies are supposed to know, by mental telepathy, or whatever, that such a FAQ exists? Posting #1 in this thread is not about the FAQ. So, I'd certainly like to know where to find it?

Time to go get some supper, I'm hungry.

·
Registered
548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo /forum/post/0

I see the smiley, but so I'm not sure how serious to take your posting. A manual transcribed into another language should not have any native language pieces in it. Just my take on that

Oh-oh, that statement is just begging for this response, so here it comes...

So, newbies are supposed to know, by mental telepathy, or whatever, that such a FAQ exists? Posting #1 in this thread is not about the FAQ. So, I'd certainly like to know where to find it?

Time to go get some supper, I'm hungry.

I vote for making the Meta-FAQ a STICKY...mods?

I vote that DC makes a link off of Cliff Notes to the meta-faq as well. Ms. Kei Clark?

Not sure if my votes count for anything, but its worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

Quote:

It is. It is the only way that auto scan will map in the virtual channels and it sounds like, all of the DTV sub channels as well.

How does that help getting to a sub channel. I tried it with the remote by entering the channel number of the station and then hitting the sub-ch button, again, nothing.

OK, I just tried it again. This time I turned off virtual channel mode. Damn, the sub channel button now works. OK, that helps explain the poor english in the manual, specifically the piece that describes the remote control SUB-CH button. But, the configuration box that has the on-screen sub-channel button, there is no note that says it doesn't work in virtual channel mode.

I prefer the virtual channel listings, so I'll have to get at the sub channels by channel changing through them, just like I do now with the two STBs.

In any event, thanks for clearing up how that all works.

I am kind of with you; I like the virtual setting but every once in a while (rarely, to be fair) wish I could hit the sub button and "manually" select the sub. It would be great for channels I don't keep in my list or my favorites.

As to the remote question: I ask everyone who does not use it why since I see it as a better interface than a keyboard. It did not relate directly to the subject mater.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterno3 /forum/post/0

I vote for making the Meta-FAQ a STICKY...mods?

I vote that DC makes a link off of Cliff Notes to the meta-faq as well. Ms. Kei Clark?

Not sure if my votes count for anything, but its worth a shot.

Uh...Mike, the Meta FAQ is a sticky and it does reference Cliff's Notes, IIRC.

Oops, sorry, I misread you the first time...yeah, I agree that the Cliff's Notes should also refer to the MF. I haven't visited in some time, but last I knew there wasn't such a link.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts

Quote:

The ones who don't rely upon mental telepathy have no problem seeing it as the #2 item in the HTPC Forum's list of threads.

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by netman /forum/post/0

I am kind of with you; I like the virtual setting but every once in a while (rarely, to be fair) wish I could hit the sub button and "manually" select the sub. It would be great for channels I don't keep in my list or my favorites.

In my case, the favorite list is relatively small, only the OTA DTV channels, which cover every network for HD, except UPN, which is SD only on a DTV sub channel. I get my UPN HD via other means. I don't have cable, so there are zero channels from that medium.

Quote:
As to the remote question: I ask everyone who does not use it why since I see it as a better interface than a keyboard. It did not relate directly to the subject mater.

In my case it is convenience. I have two Linux servers and three Windblows boxes. All coming through a KVM. The monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 171MP, so it is my HD monitor as well (the two STBs feed it via YPbPr and a selection switch). The computer that is new is the MyHD computer as well as the Twinhan DVB computer, which is on the floor on the other side of this desk I work at. The remote receiver is below the sight line, behind the monitor, so I have to raise the remote over the monitor for it to work. Since I am already in front of the keyboard, it is just easier to do stuff that way. And, it is just one of many remotes I have here in the basement, where all my stuff is.

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts

Quote:

The ones who don't rely upon mental telepathy have no problem seeing it as the #2 item in the HTPC Forum's list of threads.

Oh boy, that just begs the next comment...

One is supposed to know that, especially when reading the MyHD forum, for which I have that card? Why would I go into the HTPC forum?

I don't mean to be an ass about this, but there is a ton of forums on this site and one can't possibly know what is where. First one has to know it exists and then one has to know where to find it.

A sticky at the top of this forum that discusses the FAQ and a link to it would have been perfect.

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts

Quote:

A sticky at the top of this forum that discusses the FAQ and a link to it would have been perfect.

Oops. Misunderstood HTPC's meaning. I didn't get to this forum via that page. I got to the MyHD 130 forum via a link from a local HDTV forum. Never saw the "directory."

Gotta keep in mind that not everyone gets to a forum via links from the top down. Some are redirects from other forums/threads.

·
Registered
548 Posts

Quote:

Uh...Mike, the Meta FAQ is a sticky and it does reference Cliff's Notes, IIRC.

Oops, sorry, I misread you the first time...yeah, I agree that the Cliff's Notes should also refer to the MF. I haven't visited in some time, but last I knew there wasn't such a link.

tpete...

Mea culpa on the sticky...maybe mrvid's idea of editing the first post in this one might help? tough thing about documentation, even the best one is worthless if no one can find it (or chooses to read it
)

·
Registered
548 Posts

Quote:

Oops. Misunderstood HTPC's meaning. I didn't get to this forum via that page. I got to the MyHD 130 forum via a link from a local HDTV forum. Never saw the "directory."

Gotta keep in mind that not everyone gets to a forum via links from the top down. Some are redirects from other forums/threads.

you can blame me for providing the link, but not the context surounding it

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,831 Posts

Quote:

One is supposed to know that, especially when reading the MyHD forum, for which I have that card? Why would I go into the HTPC forum?

I don't mean to be an ass about this, but there is a ton of forums on this site and one can't possibly know what is where. First one has to know it exists and then one has to know where to find it.

I'm probably just saying this before any number of others do but...

Your attitude "just begs the next comment..." Drop the attitude. The people helping to answer the questions you and others are asking are doing it for free on their own time. It's your responsibility to do a little bit of research and try to help yourself. You've got enough posts that you ought to know by now how to navigate around AVS Forums. If you don't like the answers you get, we'd all be glad to refund what you've paid us

Now for some tips/terminology that might prove useful. There is no MyHD forum at AVS. There is a "Home Theater Computers" forum which contains a whole bunch of threads, of which the "MyHD MDP-130" thread is one. The sticky that is being referenced in this thread is another thread within the "Home Theater Computers" forum. As to knowing what is where, that's what the search facility is for. If you run a search within the "Home Theater Computers" forum for MyHD, you'll find 3 pages of threads each of which have at least one mention of MyHD in them. You'll also notice that the "MyHD MDP-130 Meta FAQ" thread happens to be right near the top of the search results.

Now (hopefully) back to our regularly scheduled discussion...

·
Registered
12,225 Posts

Quote:

I don't mean to be an ass about this...

I think that's known as "negative assertion".

As for me, I'm sick and tired of smartasses who can't be bothered to read whatever documentation exists and explore the reaches of their immediate environment, but rather would have somebody else spend his/her time immediately scratching their itch of the moment--and then kvetch about how the free service they're getting is no damn good.

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts

Quote:

--and then kvetch about how the free service they're getting is no damn good.

I've never said that the service provided by AVS and its members was no damn good. Now will I ever.

I tried searching once and gave up, as the results didn't come back with what I was looking for. In this case I gather it would have. As pointed out by another user, the search can be a pain if the right key words aren't used and it isn't always obvious what the keywords should be.

Hit-n-miss. Searching just doesn't pertain to AVS, it pertains to a lot of places that provide searches.

I'll try more searches in the future and see what that brings.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

Quote:

I've never said that the service provided by AVS and its members was no damn good. Now will I ever.

Why don't you contribute by composing an appropriate - short addition to the first post and pm the first poster in this thread with a suggested change that would have helped you and others?

Suggest it link the meta-FAQ and provide the link. Maybe the first poster will take you up on your effort.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:

While setting up a cpature, there is an option to set the capture file size, 650MB, 2GB or custom. The manual mentions that NTFS doesn't have a file limit, but there isn't an option for no limit. Does one enter 0 into the custom box or an extremely large number?

I adjusted my capture file limit to 50,000 MB. I'm running Windows XP with all of my drives as NTFS. No problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xela19115 /forum/post/0

I adjusted my capture file limit to 50,000 MB. I'm running Windows XP with all of my drives as NTFS. No problems whatsoever.

I have had recorded files as big as 40 gigs - so I would recommend 99999 - which I have never had problems with either. If you are going single file why stop below the maximum? If you hit it (on the drive exceed drive because you don't have enough free space your recording is lost anyway. Doesn't matter whether you set to 40 or 99.9 gigs for that so just set the max

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:

Hmmm...I have seen the problem, but far less frequently than Andy has--perhaps because I don't have the USB receiver and its driver active.

I don't have the Registry keys, presumably because I had the serial receiver installed before the USB ones even came out. I'll try a fresh install with no receiver attached and see if those keys get installed. (I doubt that they'll have any effect on a non-USB remote setup, however, even if they do turn out to be significant for the problem)

Andy, would you please try resetting the keys to their previous values to see if the freezes return??

And would one of the others who've seen this problem let us know if you have the USB receiver (and the keys) and see if you can reproduce Andy's result???

I put the registry keys back to their previous values. I figured I'd see the problem reappear but that would have been too easy. With the restored key values, I've run through three files without a hang.

The other possibility is that at about the same time as I originally changed the keys, I also added a gyration mouse and keyboard. The interface is through USB whereas my old keyboard/mouse were through the PS2 ports. I wonder if this changed which PCI interrupt (and other resources) is being used by the MyIRd remote? If that is true then the real solution may have something to do with the USB setup.

I'll append if I get another hang. Guess I shouldn't really complain that everything is working right - even if I don't understand why :)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch /forum/post/0

I have had recorded files as big as 40 gigs - so I would recommend 99999 - which I have never had problems with either. If you are going single file why stop below the maximum? If you hit it (on the drive exceed drive because you don't have enough free space your recording is lost anyway. Doesn't matter whether you set to 40 or 99.9 gigs for that so just set the max

I picked 36G because I would never watch anything over 4 hours long.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
"Never" is an awfully long time :). During the Olympics, NBC regularly had 6+ hour broadcasts, during which they would show the one thing I want to watch, but they wouldn't divulge when. So recording the whole thing isn't beyond my realm of possiblity. YMMV.

Xesdeeni

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch /forum/post/0

Why don't you contribute by composing an appropriate - short addition to the first post and pm the first poster in this thread with a suggested change that would have helped you and others?

Suggest it link the meta-FAQ and provide the link. Maybe the first poster will take you up on your effort.

Great idea. I'll do that after work tonight.

6381 - 6400 of 13024 Posts