Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=myhd

Cliff Watson mentioned that the developer of the MyHD software is interested in a new feature/bug list for the MyHD card.

AFAIK, a thread dedicated to this has not been started, so here goes.

Since I have two of these cards on order, I have a vested interest in this ;)

Some features I'd like to see (not necessarily in priority order ;) ).

1) Use remote/ mouse/ keystroke to pause, restart a recording-in-progress with one button push (like any standard VCR, for real-time commercials editing or whatnot).

2) Hipix file exchange/playback without renaming.

3) Incorporate the open source dScaler de-interlacers into the analog video-input routines. (the source is there for free...)

4) Dolby Digital bitstream pass through to installed soundcard SPDIF

5) Write D-VHS-playable HD to D-VHS tape (allowing the tape to play in another D-VHS machine without a PC connection)

6) Add new scheduled recording during recording-in-progress

7) 3:2 pulldown and weave de-interlacing for 1080i progressive-source material (film, 1080p cameras).

8) dScaler-like routines for de-interlacing of 1080i non-progressive source material (shot with 1080i cameras or 480i upconverts).

Bugs:

Don't know. Don't have my cards yet ;).

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Internal decoding of DD AC-3, DPL and possibly DTS from external sources, HDTV input, etc. , or the programming to allow internal sound card to do same.

PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Don't have my card yet so can't report any bugs but a couple of features come to mind.

(1) Ability to decode DD and output analog to Delta 410 using Cliff's excellent control drivers.

(2) Ability to pause, REW, and FF live shows.

(3) REW and FF showing a continuos current picture (not a freeze frame) so you can see to find the spot.

(4) FF 30 second option (commercial skipper).

(5) Ability to record one channel while watching another (Does it already do this?)

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Cliff Watson mentioned that the developer of the MyHD software is interested in a new feature/bug list for the MyHD card.â€

Me and my big mouth! :D

I have not seen my big ***** listed yet. That flashing “REC†OSD has got to go!

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Rich4av wants:

If MyHD included:

1. separate picture memories for different sources

2. Audio pass-through to audio card

3. "Real" DVD playback from DVD drive

It would be a category leader. Then the HTPC would "truly" become an "HT" controller - allowing centralized control of TV/Cable, HD, and DVD viewing through one video output from the PC and one audio output to the receiver. This would be awesome!

Rich

**************end

Just compiling this stuff all together...

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"From Frank

(BUG)

When renaming HiPix files to play via MyHD, I have found some oddities.

XXXX_01.TD works but XXXX_001.TD does not.

This means that 1 minute HiPix files longer then 99 minutes will not play correctly."

RGB,

That one needs to be removed from the bug list. The bug is that the User Manual does not have detailed instructions about the naming convention of MyHD. I provided the instruction under Frank's post.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I found a minor bug tonight.

I switch a lot between HDTV on Antenna 1 and Video in (which is S-video in).

When returning from watching HDTV to S-video, I noticed that the picture's brightness increased and the picture had lighter blacks. I opened Config and just clicked on the slider for brightness (without changing the value at all). The picture darkened. BTW my brightness is not at default but lower (hence darker). I have verified this several times.

Beyond that, I did record in AVI format but MyHD can't play it back. Says the format is not supported. I do not have the manual here so I can't say if this is a bug or not.

Cliff - I agree about the recording icon. Distracting.

Another new feature suggestion: support Closed Captions. I do click on the icon but no captions show, at least when watching NTSC TV.

Otherwise, it's a great card!

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€BTW my brightness is not at default but lower (hence darker). I have verified this several times.â€

Rich,

The default is set to 0mV for HDTV black. You are pushing it to below black. You should set it back to the default and use the RefBars test TP file to set the brightness on you projector. The RefBars file has a PLUGE with below black and slightly above black bars.

â€Beyond that, I did record in AVI format but MyHD can't play it back. Says the format is not supported. I do not have the manual here so I can't say if this is a bug or not.â€

MyHD can’t play AVI files, you have to use Windows Media Player or any other media player that supports AVI. I believe MIT is working on Mpeg1/2 encoding that will play on MyHD.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
This card was so feature rich out of the box that I only have 2 real gripes that would be considered Feature requests.

1) While MYHD is Recording, one can not schedule another recording.

2) The Recording setup does need improving BIG time. Reminds me of a pre-launch sequence:)

To record a show and have it go into it's own directory requires one to:

a. Click on the "Wrench" Icon

b. Select Capture setup menu

c. Click on ADD

d. Select Active Channel (It should default to the one it is tuned to)

e. Make sure you change Capture Mode from "Motion Video Capture" (It should default to Transport)

f. Uncheck Default Directory

g. Fill in a Directory name. Oops - error message "Invalid Directory Name"

h: So you must manually create that directory instead of it just being done for you automatically.

i: Finally you can click Okay twice

That is at least 10 steps just to setup a recording (I am not counting setting Date/Time/Duration as that is expected of the user).

If you forget to do d and e (as I have done many times now), you won't record what you thought you did.

Joe

·
Registered
252 Posts
There are LOTS of features I'd like to see. Here's a few for starts:

1) PSIP support, inckuding channel remapping, automatic detection of channel name, program information, etc.

2) Ability to output the native resolution of the program. my projector handles 1080i, 720p, 480p, etc, and I'd like the MyHD to output whatever the show is really being broadcast in, rather than forcing me to pick a resolution to scale to.

3) Tie in with TitanTV.com for recording.

4) The on-screen display should show the resolution the show is being broadcast in, not the resolution I asked the software to scale to (which I already know).

Also, the software or drivers are buggy. I've had the software hang more than a few times. And when it hangs, the only way to clear it is to restart the computer. I can't kill the program, even using taskmanager.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chuck_McDevitt-

Great feature requests.

As far as your bug report- are the conditions of the hangs repeatable?

What CPU, mobo chipset, and OS are you using?

All posters:

For BUG reports, try to briefly describe the conditions under which the failure or lockup occurs, test for repeatability if possible, and please include your OS rev at the least.

Mobo chipset, memory size and type, and CPU type might help the developer's with more data points (Cliff, developer's- correct me if these inputs are not needed).

·
Registered
848 Posts
Quote:
That one needs to be removed from the bug list. The bug is that the User Manual does not have detailed instructions about the naming convention of MyHD. I provided the instruction under Frank's post.
As long as MyHD and HiPix files can be played on each other, I don't really care how it gets solved, but having to rename the first 100 files separately from the rest of the files in a movie sure doesn't seem like an ease-of-use feature.

However, since it's not a bug, it must be a feature.

So, respectfully, I request that this file-naming "feature" be further enhanced to allow more flexibility with naming and sequencing.

And as long as you're collecting feature requests, please consider the "Auto-Record" feature I described in the HiPix thread. This would automatically record the most recent N minutes I've watched into a circular buffer whose size I specify. I could then review any part of that buffer to clarify or share what I'd seen, even if it happened before I changed channels. (I'd need to stop the auto-recording first to do the playback, of course, unless I had another card, switched to its output on the display, etc.)

Auto-record is definitely not a critical function, but I think it'd be nice, and it should be pretty easy to implement. I never realized how much I'd come to use my ReplayTV's 7-seconds-backward button, but it's now so much a part of my consciousness that I automatically reach for the (non-existent) button on my car radio to review a half-heard news story. (Doh!)

-yogaman

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
While I wait for the board I can not comment on the bugs. I did not find this in the online manual and I really use it in my current Hipix setup (gamma is not in Hipix yet).

Can one control RGB Saturation Contrast Brightness Gamma from the keyboard while watching a program? If not, please include

Joel

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bug Report:

1) SPDIF pass-through has issues.

I was incredibly impressed by the cards ability to pass-through SPDIF to the sound card. However, my excitment turned to a bit of frustration as I noticed that I experience a number of dropouts of the audio when using this feature. I have tried this with both an SB Live and DIO 2496 and both cards have this problem, although I think the DIO is worse.

The settings I am using are WAV only checked for audio output and SPDIF selected as the digital output type. I noticed that the DIO does properly detect the SPDIF stream and switch to professional/non-audio in the control panel (but this does not appear to be required). Is there a way to avoid the dropouts that someone (e.g. Cliff :) knows about? I have found that the problem occurs when I set the DIO card to SPDIF input and route the sound through the card as well. The problem did not appear to happen when I connected the card directly to the receiver/decoder, but I would need more time to verify that one.

2) I experienced two crashes:

The first happened, the first time I used the power button to shut down the application.

The second happened on rebooting the machine, it rebooted itself during the load of Windows XP. This has never happened before on this machine.

Both have happened only once in the day of playing that I have done.

3) S-Video appears to be much brighter than its DTV counterparts.

I switched to an S-VIDEO source and the brightness was too high. I got this adjusted and switched back to DTV and it was now to bright. Do we need separate controls for the two inputs?

Feature Requests:

1) Strength meter for the channel with numeric value (also meter on OSD).

2) Need composite to just be another input, not a setting in config menu.

3) Separate resolution control for the different inputs (e.g. 4:3 for S-VIDEO).

4) Way to have screen come up by default in full screen (HD) mode.

5) Way to pause live TV (for analog and ideally (harder) digital broadcasts).

6) Decode channel information and store it in the descriptions automatically.

7) Way to auto-tune just Digital or analog for a particular input source.

8) Built-in DScaler support, avoids having another tuner card in machine.

9) Way to hide the overylay window completely (not just turn off overlay).

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"The settings I am using are WAV only checked for audio output and SPDIF selected as the digital output type. I noticed that the DIO does properly detect the SPDIF stream and switch to professional/non-audio in the control panel (but this does not appear to be required). Is there a way to avoid the dropouts that someone (e.g. Cliff knows about? I have found that the problem occurs when I set the DIO card to SPDIF input and route the sound through the card as well. The problem did not appear to happen when I connected the card directly to the receiver/decoder, but I would need more time to verify that one."

I did not know that it could pass AC-3 over the PCI bus to a Delta soundcard. I'll have to check that out because I've always used the S/PDIF connector on the MDP-100 card.

·
Registered
252 Posts
As far as the program hangs go:

I have the MyHD card in my "big system".

It is an intel 440BX chipset, with dual 1Ghz P-III processors,

and 768mb of main memory.

The video card is an Ati Radeon.

The program sometimes hangs. When it does, it is usually when

I am changing settings or changing channels.

If it is hung, the area of the video window no longer repaints.

Using Taskmanager to try to kill the MyHD application never works.

Trying to start the program again tells me it is still running.

The only thing I've found that works is to shut down and restart the system.

Because taskman can't kill it, I suspect it is a problem in the device drivers.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.