Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my setup

AMD XP 1700

512 mb ram

Cmedia Audio (optical out)

ATI Radeon 9000

Looking to buy an HD card for my HTPC but having trouble deciding between MyHD and Fusion HD.

Assuming they both have similar picture quality, I'm looking to buy the one which will do a better job of converting my HTPC into an HD HTPC.

comments? suggestions?

thanks.

-shehryar

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
I'm a newb to this forum, but I think there are some good links in the forum FAQs that run down the differences between HD cards.

I think one basic difference between the two mentioned is that MyHD uses hardware-decoding, while the Fusion uses software-decoding. Consequently, MyHD should be less dependant on your system resources for its performance. In a system as robust as yours that may or may not be an issue.

MyHD also has a port to connect to a 1080i/720p TV, while the FusionHD does not. However, FusionII has more input ports.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
If you require DVI then the Fusion is the only answer right now (MyHD 120 is soon to be available with an optional ($200) DVI daughter card).

Read the Fusion treads, but if memory serves, I think you might have problems with only having a 1700 (unless you over clock it).

Fusion II has more ports that Fusion 1, not the MyHD (they have the same).

MyHD is on power buy right now at $250. Fusion II has been pushed back to end of April.

It might be just me, but I think the MyHD has better video. Fusion is a little soft to me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
How about this setup, R9700 pro (with P4 2.53) with a CRT as primary and a LCD connected to DVI as the secondary monitor. Would the Fusion work for just watching TV on the secondary monitor in extended desktop mode?

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Quote:
If you require DVI then the Fusion is the only answer right now (MyHD 120 is soon to be available with an optional ($200) DVI daughter card).
Jkaiser,

Could you elaborate on this a bit?

If you're referring to viewing on a DVI RGB monitor, wouldn't that be dependant on your video card with both products? Or is RGB display only possible with MyHD by looping thru its 15-pin VGA/YPbPR port? The connections on this card are a bit confusing.

Also, my impression was that the future MDP-120 w/ DVI daughterboard was intended to connect to the HDCP-DVI port on an HDTV. Do you think it could be used for either an RGB DVI monitor or HDTV-HDCP DVI input?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My output display is going to be a Sanyo Z1 projector hooked up to my HTPC with a vga cable.

Which one does a better job of scheduling / recording shows? i.e. my primary motivation is to turn my HTPC into a HD PVR.

thanks.

-shehryar

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.