AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I did a comparison of MyHD and WinDVD 4 for DVD playback. I have a calibrated G11 DILA w/ISCO2 lens on 113"x64" screen. Used 1360x1024 for WinDVD 4 and HDTV 1080i (with Mark Foster's mod) on Comp 2 for MyHD. I watch Vanilla Sky (from VOB on 7200rpm 120GB USB 2.0 HD) and switched back and forth from WinDVD 4 to MyHD every 10 minutes. To my surprise MyHD consistently produced a superior picture and was especially more detailed. But the biggest shock was that MyHD showed no evidence of film pull down. With Vanilla Sky's lots of quick cuts I expected to see fields that were miss weaved but never did. I also noticed that the two accessed the file differently from the HD. With WinDVD 4 the HD light would strobe on and off quickly but with MyHD it would stay lit longer and off longer.

Now I see 2 major problems (one to me and one to most everyone else) in using MyHD for DVD playback. The card does not support DVD playback (big problem) and for me it will not decode DD and DTS for output to my Delta 410.

Cliff, any chance of adding these features on the next software release? I would be willing to pay for the royalties cost involved to be able to use as DVD software player.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The problem is probably macrovision. There are probably some licenses they need to be able to implement mpeg2 due to patents, that also include a clause that prevents playback of dvd content at resolutions above 480p for macrovision protected content.

Actually, I've never understood this. There are no video players that accepts anything higher that 480p, yet the studios doesn't allow their content to be viewed at anything higher than this.

It makes you think they want to build obsolecense into dvd content as big companies build into anything else.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
Could point toward a thread on Mark Foster's MyHD mod that allows 1080i playback?
And what thread would that be? Did I miss something?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Err maybe I misunderstood.

As I read this in the original thread

"HDTV 1080i (with Mark Foster's mod) on Comp 2 for MyHD" I thought he meant Mark Foster's mod on his MyHD but I see he probably means his projector :)

I'm kind of confused here...Cliff I thought I asked you in another thread if you thought the MyHD people would allow higher than 480p playback with a registry hack, and you said no? And here's something doing 1080i?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€I'm kind of confused here...Cliff I thought I asked you in another thread if you thought the MyHD people would allow higher than 480p playback with a registry hack, and you said no? And here's something doing 1080i?â€

It must be a non-CSS DVD.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Unfortunately, once MIT gets a DVD playback license, they will probably limit DVD playback to 480p. Right now, the MyHD card automatically scales non-CSS DVD VOBs to whatever resolution you select (1080i, 720p, etc.)

For 1080i playback, the ONLY solution that you are likely to have is the current one, as suggested in other threads - you need to "rip" the DVD onto the hard drive and then just play back the VOB files sequentially.

More time-consuming but OK for those special movies. Otherwise, just play the DVD through your video card and use powerstip to raise the overlay to HDTV resolutions.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€For 1080i playback, the ONLY solution that you are likely to have is the current one, as suggested in other threads - you need to "rip" the DVD onto the hard drive and then just play back the VOB files sequentially.â€

Rich,

It is not necessary to rip non-CSS DVD to hard drive for playback on the MyHD card. As I type this post I’m playing Diana Krall’s “Live in Paris†music video (interlaced source) from my DVD drive with direct output in 1080i to my HDTV. The image quality is awesome, much better than deinterlacing with a Sage chip at 480p and allowing the HDTV to scale to 1080i. It is better than SDI and MUCH better than any soft DVD player on the market.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stereojeff
Cliff:

Can you give specifics on your set-up to play the Krall concert via My HD?

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff,

I use the normal 1080i setup just like receiving ATSC and then change the input to file mode, click on the file selection buttom and then select the VOB to play from the DVD drive.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Great!

I really do find it hard to believe that this card is better than software DVD but I'll take cliff's word for it.

Time to start reading up on this card (maybe it was time to do that a while back and I just missed it.)

-Brian

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Hampton
Great!

I really do find it hard to believe that this card is better than software DVD but I'll take cliff's word for it.

Time to start reading up on this card (maybe it was time to do that a while back and I just missed it.)

-Brian
I find it hard to belive myself and I'll take MY word for it. :D

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
William,

Just because I bet a lot of people are interested:

Could you describe how the picture looks nicer? Sharper detail? Less compression artifacts? Better color?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"Could you describe how the picture looks nicer? Sharper detail? Less compression artifacts? Better color?"

All of the above, plus smooth motion and good deinterlacing of video.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
...Smooth motion....

That's got to be the key right there. If motion isn't smooth I find it difficult to get into the story. For whatever reason, I have found that software DVD players have motion that is somehow less fluid. I'm using ATI filters by the way.

I've ran Hardware DVD into Dscaler and although the image detail seemed to be reduced (naturally since running S-Video) the motion was smoother than software DVD.

Smooth motion is what I need to forget about all the gear and focus on the content.

I guess I need to throw a bake sale today to put togeather that $300.

Does a HTPC using this card also need a primary graphics adapter?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Cliff,

Damn...Radeon dethroned?

Ok next question...how does the 480p playback look since it seems like the users might get limited to this? Next step is to get an AE100 and tell the brand-new 1000 users how it looks on that :)

Brian,

This card only handles the output for video (HDTV, DVDs, etc.) For working with Windows and configuring the computer, you would need a normal graphics card. But since it seems like you want to do most video playback , that you need quality for, through this card, you could pretty much get away with anything.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Hmmm... very cool!

I will go home tonight and check this out myself and report back (very...anxious...must...go...home).

I always enjoy any excuse to violate DMCA:).

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
William,

Just because I bet a lot of people are interested:

Could you describe how the picture looks nicer? Sharper detail? Less compression artifacts? Better color?
As I said in my original post I used a (Vanilla Sky which is a reference DVD with almost no EE or compression artifacts and lots of deferent stylistic looks for testing) ripped VOB file for test and did not try to play the actual DVD. 480p will not work well on a DILA which has a notoriously inadequate scaler but excels at 1080i. MyHD has sharper details (my personal test is looking at an actors pupils which will look hazy scaled up on WinDVD but are solid on MyHD HDTV and VOB scaled) with a smother scaled look to it. Pans were less jittery on MyHD at 1080i 60Hz than WinDVD at 1360x1024 75Hz. 2:3 film pulldown was not a problem with the MyHD either. Contrast was noticeably better with improved blacks. Sometimes with WinDVD (and PowerDVD) you can see a slight mosquito noise in bright colors that were rock solid and smooth with MyHD.

Now my problem is the choice between inferior sound (plus no DTS) and superior picture or vise versa. Please help with audio decoding Cliff.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Ummm,

Just a dumb question---

If you're playing a film-based .VOB (such as Vanilla Sky) and outputting at ATSC 1080i (60Hz, 60 fields per sec, 30 frames per second), why would the MyHD do *any* pulldown at all? After all, it is outputting interlace.

I would bet that if the MyHD *did* pull-down to progressive and then scaled the image/smoothness would suffer.

-Jon

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.