Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
playback problem

I'm a newbie as far as MyHD goes. I'm using a "Shuttle" box, Duron 1.2GHZ, 256MB, 120GB Maxtor 7200RPM drive, WinXP Pro SP1, latest MyHD driver and application. DMA is enabled. The computer seems very solid - no weird behavior or crashes.

It works great with over the air signals, both digital and analog. However, I get bad breakups when playing back transport stream files that I have recorded. If I hit rewind a few times or pause then play it'll work fine for a few seconds (sometimes up to ten seconds). Then the breakups will start up again.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
petew,

Im having the same problems, live programs are fine but anything I record to harddrive has total video and audio drop outs. Reloaded my system 3 times used every driver and even tried installing MyHD in my gaming rig but no change. Not sure what to do now, Im at the point of just giving up and go back to using my panny combo to record HDTV.

Im using a p3 800, 128 meg ram, XP pro sp1, 120 gig 7200rpm, same as your system, it is very stable.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Make sure the IDE channel your hard drives are connected to are running in Ultra DMA mode. You check this by going into device manager and opening the property page for the channel to which your drives are connected. Click the advanced settings tab and examine the current transfer mode. If it is in PIO mode you will need to click the drop down list and select "Ultra DMA mode if available" and then reboot.

Be advised that some motherboards will not support Ultra DMA unless the ACPI BIOS is turned on. If this is the case you will need the ACPI HAL (hardware abstraction layer) which means you will need to reinstall Windows XP after enabling ACPI in the BIOS.

Hope this helps.

--Jerome

·
Registered
149 Posts
jsaliga

Thanks for the suggestion but my harddrives are set to ultra dma mode 3, My gaming rig is a p4 2.4 with 256 ram and it is set to ultra dma mode 5 and it had the same type of dropouts. The program will be playing fine and then a black screen. A few seconds later it comes back and then proceedes to do this every few minutes. If I go back and play the same spot it will be fine. Im recording ota and from my 5000, both show a full signal.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
You might want to try relocating the MyHD card to another PCI slot.

Also, it would be helpful to list the things you have tried on your own so people don't waste time suggesting things you have already done or checked.

--Jerome

·
Registered
149 Posts
jsaliga

Thanks for the help, So far Ive tried about 3 different pci slots and I tried it in a different computer with the same results. I just put a extra harddrive in my box and Im going to copy some of my problem .ts files to that drive. Since I tried the Myhd card and the harddrive in two different computers Im wondering if it could be the harddrive? Ive tried all the lastest drivers, the test driver helped but I still get dropouts. I also have the lastest version of dvhstool installed because I read a thread where someone corrected their dropouts when they installed it but no change for me. Ill let you know how they play off this other drive, its a 30gig 7200rpm drive and I checked to make sure its ultra dma mode :)

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I don't have MyHD, but I've seen similar problems (I work quite a bit with PC based video capture/editing). Do you have a 2nd hard drive by chance? If so, make sure your Windows Swapfile is on a drive other than the drive you capture video to, and if possible on a drive other than that of the OS.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I moved over several files that I was experiencing dropouts with to a new drive and I was able to watch about 40 minutes without any dropouts. Right now Im thinking that its the drive since I tried it in 2 different computers with the same results. Im going to copy LOTR off my troublesome drive and see if I can watch it straight through without any problems, so Ill report back later on. Sclaws, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Mac
jsaliga

Thanks for the suggestion but my harddrives are set to ultra dma mode 3, My gaming rig is a p4 2.4 with 256 ram and it is set to ultra dma mode 5 and it had the same type of dropouts. The program will be playing fine and then a black screen. A few seconds later it comes back and then proceedes to do this every few minutes. If I go back and play the same spot it will be fine. Im recording ota and from my 5000, both show a full signal.
256MB is on the low side for XP. My guess is that you have the drive swapping too much as you read/write the transport streams. You should have at least 512MB - that really helped me.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Performance with 256MB of RAM will depend to a large extent on the number of processes you run on your system and how much memory they use. If you run a ton of background processes, for example, then you could be taking a chance that your system will need to page to disk while recording or playing back HD--which is something you really need to avoid. Running anti-virus software with auto-scanning options enabled is a big no no, for example.

Memory is certainly cheap enough that bumping it up to 512MB won't impose a big financial burden. However, just installing more memory without understanding what is happening with your system might prove fruitless. You can get a crude estimate of your memory utiliztion by bringing up the task manager and clicking on the performance tab. A more accurate accounting can be obtained by running perf mon counters on serveral key memory and disk I/O statisics. Go into Admin tools and click Performance. When the System Monitor screen comes up click help and then the index tab. Look for the excessive paging entry as it provides excellent guidance on how to determine if you are suffering from excessive paging to disk brought about by a physical memory shortage. The information you gain here will tell you whether or not adding more memory will cure your problem.

Also, as a test you can shut down unnecessary processes and then try your HD playback again to see if you get better results.

--Jerome

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by petew
CPU running at 60-70% during OTA play or record. Pegs at 100% when attempting to play back .TP files. 5% if MyHD is not running. 1.2Ghz Duron, 256MB, XP-pro.
That's not normal. Just checked file playback on a 1.5Ghz P4 and it was less than 25%.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not sure if this will help or hurt:

I am running a Duron 750Mhs system, 192 megs of RAM, a 40 gig HDD in UDMA mode, and WinXP Pro.

I can playback my recorded files just fine. hours and hours of playback without a hitch. I also have my web server on the same computer. (crazy i know), so when I am watching the playback files, I have apache running, MySQL reunning and an FTP server. I don't get many hits to the websites I host, so it's not like they are taking tons of processing power.

I guess my point is, that if you have the same hardware or better than I do, you should be fine.

BTW page file is on the same HDD as the operating system along with the .ts files.

Good luck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well after coping LOTR to a new drive I was able to watch the whole film without a glitch!! My cpu utilization was around 35% during playback. I decided to disable the video overlay and this brought the cpu utilization down to about 15% during playback. Im going out today to buy a new drive and add alittle memory while Im at it. Hopefully this will solve my problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.