AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have the latest driver and software and starting tonight the digital channels were starting to breakup. Now when I tune to them its just a black screen with no sound but the signal shows good. Any ideas? It is very frustrating! :(

·
Registered
664 Posts
Only thing that ever corrected that problem for me was a removal and reinstall of the software. I might have had to remove the driver and card from device manager too, not sure.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well most of them work this morning but with horrid breakups. I did all that you suggested, any other ideas anyone? Did my card go faulty?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kamakzie,

What did you do to fix your problem? I'm having a similar issue with a new card I just received from digital connection. I'm getting good signals levels on the channels, up to 90%. But eventually the picture will start breaking-up and then the screen will go black on all Digital channels. The Analog channels still tune fine. I'm unable to view any digital channels until i restart OR disable and reenable the MDP100 Video Capture device in the Device Manager. This seems to "reset" the card and I can watch channels again for another 1-2 minutes until the breakup starts. I've tryed uninstalling and reinstalling the software many times with versions 1.60 and 1.55.3. I've also tried moving the card among four different pci slots in my system. This weekend, I'm going to try moving the card to another computer before calling Digital Connection on monday.

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tried reinstalling the software multiple times. I also tried installing the card in another computer with a different motherboard, video card, etc with the same exact issue.

However, I think I did find out my problem. While moving the card to the other computer, I noticed that the small heatsink on the MyHD card was extremely hot. I rigged a fan to blow air across the heatsink I've been able to watch digital TV continuously without the breakups in both machines regardless of software versions, etc. If I then move the fan so that it doesn't actively cool the heatsink, I will get a broken up picture within a few minutes. I can recreate the condition at will now.

I can think of three possibilities:

1) thermal solution is inadequate and others may be intermittently experiencing lockups, etc due to overheating.

2) heatsink was installed incorrectly on my card

3) the processor on my card falls on the lower range of suceptibility to heat-induced lockup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.