AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony HS10 on order and will soon need a card for HDTV. I have a ATI 8500 card and was thinking that the MYHD 100 card had DVI which would allow me to just run one cable to the HS10. Now I find that there is not a DVI output on the 100 card BUT there will be some sort of DVI on the 120 card via a separate adapter card.....

Question....

Should I just buy the reduced price MYHD 100 card or wait until the 120 card is out?

Does anyone have any information about the new MYHD 120 card?

Thanks

Steve

· Oppo Beta Group
11,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by swatkins
Should I just buy the reduced price MYHD 100 card or wait until the 120 card is out?
If the DVI output is important to you, then you should probably wait for the new version. Just keep in mind that the new version will cost a bit more than the regular price of the current card and the DVI card will not be a cheap addition from what we've been told so far.

· Registered
13,423 Posts
"Jeeze...I hope the MIT team will still make improvements for us folks with the 100."

They will because the same software versions will apply to both cards with minor changes for the demod chips.

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jym
What type of DVI will the 120 have? WIll it be computer DVI? Is there any news on approximately when the 120 will be released?

-Jym-

This is the information I need! Cliff, can you please tell us some information. I have searched all over and the only information I have found was one post in the Power Buy thread.

"So everyone understand the circumstance of this sale, MIT has announced the impending arrival of the MDP-120. It is similar to the MDP-100 with the distinction of giving the user an upgrade path to DVI output with an optional add-on daughter card. MIT is sponsoring this clearance sale of the remaining MDP-100 cards at one time price of $259 while supplies last.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection"

This is the only information I have found!

I understand that they want to sell the 100 cards first but I don't want to buy one and then next month see the 120 on the market. That would leave a really bad taste in my mouth. I have a DVI ready projector and I would rather have a DVI MYHD card BUT if I knew the ballpark cost of the card and some specifics I might be satisfied with the 100...

Steve

· Registered
89 Posts
Another reason to wait might be the new tuner that the MDP-120 is supposed to have (see MDP-100 powerbuy thread). The few who have posted direct comparisons between the old MDP-100 and STBs have found the MDP-100 tuner under-performs. My personal experience has been only with the MyHD-100, but through comparing posts at local reception with my own observations of reception quality coming and going over the past 8 months I have come to the conclusion that when a station's signal quality goes from perfect to less than perfect, the MDP-100 users notice the problem while those with STB tuners can ride out the imperfections without reporting any dropouts.

If a PC tuner card comes out that has a stronger tuner than what I have, I will probably upgrade. But right now the promise of a better tuner is just that; I'll wait until the card hits the market and users start posting their reviews before I jump on board.

-Matt

· Registered
3,325 Posts
Reception is so highly dependent on location and antenna that you cannot make any generalizations about reception performance unless you have two receivers plugged into the same cable.

· Registered
89 Posts
balazer, I agree with you 100%, and I think one or two people did this direct comparison early this year, when several detroit area MyHD users lost their WXYZ reception (sorry if this looks sloppy I've never quoted before :) )

Quote:
Originally posted by mrhoads43
On my MyHD I get a "No Signal" on ch. D41. From my STB I receive D41-1 very clear. I have switched input antenna cables between my STB and MyHD. I still can not receive D41 on MyHD.

I am out of things to try. D41 is ABC in my area and I want to record from it

See: WXYZ - ABC in Detroit
for a couple other consistent observations. Turns out it was a station problem that thankfully was fixed before the superbowl - Some STB users noticed a drop in signal lock, but we MyHD users lost everything.

-Matt

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is tough,,,, I am sitting here with money burning a hole in my pocket and no Idea what to buy!

All I need is a little information and I am a customer for life.. :(

· Registered
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by balazer
Reception is so highly dependent on location and antenna that you cannot make any generalizations about reception performance unless you have two receivers plugged into the same cable.
Been there done that. I tried a Samsung SIR-T151 in place of a MyHD in order to ensure that I actually did have an HD signal, the 151 worked with my old antenna setup while the MyHD needed an upgraded preamp to receive anything. Even after the upgraded preamp, the 151 was a lot more solid than the MyHD.

· Registered
13,423 Posts
"Even after the upgraded preamp, the 151 was a lot more solid than the MyHD."

IMO the T-151 has the best ATSC tuner on the market. Someone did a STB shootout and the 151 kicked butt on all of them.

· Registered
1,884 Posts
Hello,

MyHD has such a great history of support here that I picked up two during the power buy. The Hughes E86, from experience, is a bit more solid but I can't timeshift with it like I can with MyHD. I went ahead with the power buy because who knows how long it will be before the MDP-120 shows up when I can enjoy the use of the MDP-100 now. After all, Ebay is there for a reason should an upgrade prove necessary.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.