Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I see that there are several models available for MyHD and Fusion cards. I am really not sure which brand or model is going to be best for my needs.

Source- Clear QAM

System - MCE2005, Athalon XP 2400, Radeon 9700 Pro. 128MB, 1GB ddr

Needs

===========

Ease of recording - which card has the best software for unattended recording?

Archive to DVHS w/ firewire - Which card has the best interface for DVHS recording? Can they both do realtime? Is it possible to transfer the files off DVHS back to the PC? I am planning on using a JVC D-theater deck.

Archive to DVD? What options are available for archiving HD to DVD?

Editing - Is there an advantage between cards for Editing content

Future Proof - I suppose I will eventually upgrade to a DxVA card. What are the advantages of DxVA?

Do any of the cards have a direct to TV output? I would rather send a native 1080i signal from the card than mess around with the powerstrip reolutions. I have quite a bit of overscan when displaying 1080i with powerstrip.

Which HDTV card is going to to be the best choice for me? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
there is no QAM support in MCE

the my HD has its own hardware decoder so DXVA video cards make no difference

unless you choose to output the file using your video card rather than the MyHD

also your 9700 supports DXVA

DirectX Video Acceleration helps decode mpeg video files, reducing the amount of CPU usage

the overscan issue is your TV, not your video card or if using the myHD the hardware decoder's fault

and it might be hard to adjust for overscan using the myHD, but I do not have one so I do not know

are you outputting over component or DVI?

with my nvidia video card I do not need powerstrip and I think you only need powerstrip for when outputting 1080i over DVI with ATI cards otherwise you can adjust for overscan in the drivers

if you really need QAM support

you will be using the software included with the card to do recording and such

I think you will be better off with the myHD

I know my luck with the Fusion software has been horrible

but I have seen other users with the Fusion Gold Plus rather than Lite, like I own which seem to have better luck

also MCE does not support the MyHD for setting up recordings

the Fusion would be a better option then if you want it integrated with MCE

also the Fusion does not have its own output like the MyHD

more than likely thats where the large price difference comes from

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Mich, it sounds like you would want to consider vanilla XP with a MyHD 130. Neither card fits all of your requirements, but it seems to fit more than the Fusion.

·
Registered
614 Posts
the myhd is a serious card i own 2 and have played with a friends fusion3 gold, the myhd having hard ware encoding is a very nice feature, and there software support is above all, the included myhd app will handle eveything you want to do. and the bonus of upscaling dvds is a very sweet thing. there is no way to compare the two cards because there not appples to apples. both are different. if money or budget isnt an issue i would say without an doubt go myhd, there may be other frontends in the future that may allow you to have the MCE look and feel.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Downside to myhd is that you don't get a choice of software (or MCE).

Downside to Fusion is it is a software card.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Other s/w, such as SageTV3.0, will probably support software decoding[Fusion] but not h/w[myHD]

For me, that was enough future-proof on it's own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.