AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what he lowdown is, I know MyHD has been out for a while, is this a hinderance, does it not have some of the newer features? Is there any advantage to having a software based card? I would assume hardware based is better as it won't rely on the system so much (stuttering etc)

Which would have better picture quality? Best recording quality (onto hardrive)?

Which has the better tuner (both good enough?)

Which was more features (TIVO like stuff)? I'm assuming both let you record to the hardrive... Best remote?

Would any allow for a HD input video signal? (don't have one yet, but for a Directv HDTV reciever) to record onto computer?

Right now I am leaning towards the MyHD (hardware based), as it seems like FusionHDTV (software based) will close to max out most systems, so it seems like there is not much horsepower left for cool features (tivo like stuff or recording). For now, lets leave cost alone....

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
In case you haven't seen this thread, here's a review of the current cards.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=207262

The recording quality of all the cards is identical. Picture quality will depend on your display capabilities and cpu/video card (in the case of the FusionHDTV products).

The tuner of the FusionHDTV-I card might be a little bit more sensistive, but the MyHD hardware based decoding is more tolerant to glitches in the transmission (the stuttering issue)... so this evens out...

The MyHD card has more features (partially because the product has had more time to mature). The FusionHDTV software is pretty good and stable, but currently lacks some of the features of the MyHD...

I can't answer the remote question...

None of these cards will accept an HD input video signal (they can only receive HDTV signals from an antenna-like connection).

While it's true that the FusionHDTV cards require a faster processor (~800MHz if you have a Radeon based video card, ~2GHz otherwise), adding tivo like features should not tax the system much more (recording live TV doesn't seem to increase CPU utilization on my system).

One could actually make an argument that the higher reliance on software and on standard PC features/components makes it easier to add cool features. the Korean version of the Fusion EPG is a good illustration of the possibilities (slick looking EPG). Another example is that the Fusion card comes with standard WDM drivers, which give you Tivo like features for standard definition TV with various third party softwares...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.