AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the MyHD card work with my regular crappy cable signal to view non-HDTV shows? I was thinking I might be able to hook up an antenna from my roof and a cable feed from my normal cable (non digital at the moment) and have the MyHD card let me watch both and do PVR for both???

I'm trying to figure out if I should go with a HTPC solution for HDTV or get a standalong Samsung box from Ebay.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yes, it should work with non-HD shows (and as you have two antenna inputs, this is just what the doctor ordered).

Once you'll have tested the recording feature for HDTV, there's no turning back (sure it is harder to setup, sure it's not as easy to use... but you can get rid of the commercials, and view shows when you want...)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:
MyHD card let me watch both and do PVR for both
There are 4 statements here.

1) Use MyHD to watch HD

2) Use MyHD to watch cable

3) Use MyHD to timeshift HD

4) Use MyHD to timeshift cable

The first 3 are a definite yes. The last one is problematic.

Since MyHD directly records the HD transport stream, all analog sources have to be converted into .avi files. This is not the strength of the MyHD card, and I don't even bother using it for such. In fact, MyHD doesn't even play these files -- you'll need to use Media Player or such.

I mean, you could fax a document to a PC with a modem if you need it scanned, but you should buy a real scanner, if you get my drift.

Hanson

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
You are much better off investing $40 on a Flyvideo card and use it for recording SD over cable. If you don't have a PCI slot, look into WinTV USB.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I can support the above replys. My analog cable picture quality through my MYHD card is significantly worse, than viewing it through my cable box.

Unfortunately, its somewhat of a hassle having to switch between my MYHD for local HD and Digital programming material, then having to switch to my cable box for analog (and digital) cable programming.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that's the info I was looking for. I don't want to make my crappy cable signal any worse and $40 isn't going to be a problem. Does the Flyvideo card come with the software for doing PVR?

Outside of recording HDTV why would I buy a MyHD card over getting a Samsung OTA reciever off Ebay?

BTW, I haven't built my HTPC yet I'm doing research now to see what to put into it. I'm mostly going to use it for playing games online but the toy factor for messing around with better DVD viewing and simplifying some of my X10 lighting automation is appealing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:
Outside of recording HDTV why would I buy a MyHD card over getting a Samsung OTA reciever off Ebay?
Recording is the entire raison d'etre of MyHD. It's like saying, "Outside of recording, why would I get a Tivo over digital cable?"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.