AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been doing a lot of research on the HDTV cards but I can't make a decision. I was planning on getting the MyHD MDP-120 and outputting at 1024x768 to my projector with DVI-D. My main reason for this choice was because I read that the upscaled DVD playback is excellent, especially for video and anime DVDs for which software players are not that great.

But now I am wondering if I would be better off with a much cheaper software card. I set up ffdshow, zoomplayer, etc and turned off all sharpening, etc. I just left on postprocessing and resize to 1024x768 using the NVDVD filters, and this appeared to give a pretty good picture even with an anime dvd (for which sonic filters had many more interlacing artifacts), although I don't know how this quality would compare to the MyHD. Also, is it possible to use VMR with any of the software HDTV cards?

I have a Pentium 2.4GHz with 1GB RAM and GeForce4 Ti4200. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I can't answer the questions relating to software HD cards but I can tell you that the DVD picture quality via the MyHD card is as good or better than anything out there. I would very much like to hear how it compares to SDI although I've yet to find someone who's done a comparison at similar resolutions. DVD playbck with the MyHD card @1080i is simply beautiful. My HTPC is offline during an upgrade so I can't comment on the most recent MIT driver/software release. There are advantage to a software player if you like to tweak, need greater control, or want a more polished interface.

·
Registered
228 Posts
With the most recent release you cannot play a DVD in Full Screen Mode. So much for upscaling DVD's

·
Registered
217 Posts
Assuming the TV has two inputs, if you use one input to hook up the TV directly to the PC graphics card (without going through MyHD), then DVD playback (via Power DVD, TheaterTek, etc) will get upscaled. Right?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
"With the most recent release you cannot play a DVD in Full Screen Mode. So much for upscaling DVD's"

I can on my system using the seperate monitor output.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
MartyJ, if you want, you can just get those drivers from somebody else, it's easy to find...

Several people have dual boot systems where they have a barebones for dvd playback and a the main system with the HDTV focus on the drivers.

Darius

·
Registered
262 Posts
MyHD doesn't handle all DVD's well (some are buggy, others just won't play) and controls are non-existent (I can't get chapter skip or FF functions to work).

The inability to play in full screen mode can be overcome, but is definitely an issue.

The loopback cable allows you to view DVD's in full mode if you're using other DVD software. But you cannot view macrovision protected DVD's in full mode upscaled by MyHD. It can only be viewed in a smaller overlay window that cannot be resized.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I read in another thread that you can use DVD Region-Free to play Macrovision DVDs upscaled. I also thought I read in a thread that if you use the Korean version of the software, you can get the DVD menus and everything, but I was never clear on whether that was true or not.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThePanda
Thanks for the replies. I read in another thread that you can use DVD Region-Free to play Macrovision DVDs upscaled.

Absouletely correct.

I have been using DVD Rfree for many months now to play protected DVD's in Full Screen/Rez on my HDTV.

Works great.

Joe

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
It would be nice to have better DVD control during playback.

Cliff, why is there no next chapter and previous chapter for DVD playback?

Who has more info on this Korean version?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Cliff, why is there no next chapter and previous chapter for DVD playback?â€

It is because MyHD is not a DirectShow DVD player (VOB files only). It was possible that MIT could develop the DVD playback using DS filters for navigation, however, they lost their DVD license because the MyHD hardware does not have MacroVision support on the analog output. Without a license it would be a waste of time to develop better DVD playback.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
That would explain a lot. Thanks Cliff.

Could someone else develop DVD playback using DS Filters that would work with the MyHD card?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
â€Could someone else develop DVD playback using DS Filters that would work with the MyHD card?â€

That is possible IF you know which rabbit hole to stuff the data into.

It would require that MIT release information to the public and that is usually done only when a company is floating tits down in a sea of debt and ready to go under.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I also use MyHD for DVD playback and the quality is excellent. I agree with others, though, on the cumbersome controls. I usually temporarily rip the DVD's to the hard drive for timeshifting rentals. Once you find the right Title track (main movie) with the "previous" and "next" buttons, you need to manually use the slider in non-HD mode to move from chapter to chapter. Of course, you don't need to do that if you are able to watch the movie in one sitting.

Maybe if MyHD had some type of support for file markers (time stamp, etc.), then different developers could make use of them? For example, in regular file playback mode, the markers could be used to distinguish the beginning and end of commercials. Then, you could quickly skip commercials without having to cut out the commercials ahead of time. You might need to manually go in and set the markers (until some auto mode is created), but that should be faster than building a new .ts file after actually cutting out the commercials. Also, you could use the marker concept for .VOB files as well to go from chapter to chapter.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
"It would require that MIT release information to the public and that is usually done only when a company is floating tits down in a sea of debt and ready to go under."

:)

Cliff you just made my Monday with that post! LMAO!!!

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hanson
MyHD doesn't handle all DVD's well (some are buggy, others just won't play) and controls are non-existent (I can't get chapter skip or FF functions to work).
While DVD Idle/Pro gets around some of the issues (not all on all discs), the control issue is the anithesis of polish.

Also, depending on your viewing source, 1080i may not be the optimal output even though the VGA out has multiple resolutions in MyHD. For instance if you wanted to go native rate DVI to a panel, I am out of luck until at least the daughter card solution comes out. The SW players have an edge here for dot x dot scaling.

That said the DVD capability of MyHD is good, and I will usually use it for non-critical ripped DVD viewing.

Tim

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would think that having my HTPC set to the same resolution as my PJ would be better then upscaling to 1080i. If I am wrong someone please explain this to me. Using a JVC G11 pixel perfect with Powerstrip.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
you might want to try Windvd Platinum with the latest patches (thread from bbq) with your anime. I found a great improvement for video material (even the badly flagged one, like some of my p*rn dvds ;))

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok I'll give that a try next weekend gnollo.

I think this is the thread about the Korean version that I was thinking of: here . I skimmed it a little more thoroughly this time and realized that I was mistaken about it being able to display the DVD menus. I haven't seen the program yet but it seems like it would be possible to make some kind of front-end program to interface with the MyHD application to show the menus on the computer monitor at least.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rip the DVD to your hard drive with DVD Decrypter

Play it back at 1080i with MyHD and v1.6 software - no problem!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.