AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the .tp files recorded off-air with a MyHD120 easily converted to mpeg2 for burning onto DVD? I'm not quite ready to make the full jump to HDTV but I would like to have a perfectly clean source for shows I record and save to DVD. I'm currently using an NTSC capture card with a rooftop antenna. The reception isn't bad but some stations have slight ghosting, a little snow, etc.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you're talking about ATSC (high definition), HDTV2MPEG2 (v1.09) will convert them for you. For NTSC, the MyHD does not do as good a job as some other cards, eg, SageTV software with Hauppauge PVR250 card or DScaler with a compatible card.

Al

·
Banned
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by john12345
Are the .tp files recorded off-air with a MyHD120 easily converted to mpeg2 for burning onto DVD? I'm not quite ready to make the full jump to HDTV but I would like to have a perfectly clean source for shows I record and save to DVD. I'm currently using an NTSC capture card with a rooftop antenna. The reception isn't bad but some stations have slight ghosting, a little snow, etc.
Digital stations should not have "ghosting" or "a little snow." Those must be old fashioned over the air channels, which the MyHD will receive. But these "air" channels won't record to .tp format because the signal isn't HDTV. Digital channels usually break up in either video or sound when the signal level drops. I've never seen ghosting or snow on a digital channel.

BTW, I can usually get good HDTV with signal level as low as around 50%. Regular air channels would probably have problems like you describe at this level of reception, but digital channels are perfect.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
The “ghosting†you see on analog NTSC is caused by multi-path signal reception where more than one signal arrives at the antenna at slightly different timing. Digital receivers can’t process multi-path so must determine which signal to decode. When the signal strength changes between signal paths you may get a short dropout while the receiver is locking onto the new signal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.