AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is 20'X17' a 12 1/2' high ceiling with a partially open wall behind the right corner of the seating area and a 50% opening in the center of the wall to the left of the seating area.

Been looking at powered and unpowered sound bars and have now got it down to the Mythos SSA 50 or Polk Surroundbar 50 unpowered bars with a sub-woofer.

Would appreciate all opinions on which way to go.

I'm also interested in a decent reciever match that uses Audyssey technology to set up the playback room configuration and handles the latest blu-ray hi-def sound decoding. All ideas appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture /forum/post/16947768

My room is 20'X17' a 12 1/2' high ceiling with a partially open wall behind the right corner of the seating area and a 50% opening in the center of the wall to the left of the seating area.

Been looking at powered and unpowered sound bars and have now got it down to the Mythos SSA 50 or Polk Surroundbar 50 unpowered bars with a sub-woofer.

Would appreciate all opinions on which way to go.

I'm also interested in a decent reciever match that uses Audyssey technology to set up the playback room configuration and handles the latest blu-ray hi-def sound decoding. All ideas appreciated.

Thank you.

I had a polk surroundbar 50 and was very impressed with it. I was looking at getting the Mythos SSA50 after listening to it but decided to go with a discontinued Mythos Solo XL for quite a bit less. Our living room is small so a 3.1 setup works and I saved a bundle. If money is no object though and you can afford the Mythos SSA50, that is the surroundbar to get. It hands down beats the Surroundbar 50 and that is also one heck of a surroundbar. The mythos and polk don't require a perfectly shaped room either so you should be good with your current layout. Amazon had a great deal on the Mythos awhile back but otherwise they are rarely on sale (ebay has had a few good deals from good sellers lately though so it's worth a shot). You can find refurbished Surroundbar 50's from Polk themselves on ebay for quite a bit less than retail (three benjamins) but I haven't seen any in a few weeks. I got one awhile back and it looked brand new and came with a factory warranty from Polk. I don't think you could go wrong with either plus you could potentially save a good amount by going the Polk route.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YOTR,

Thanks for the input.

I'm leaning to the Mythos-50. Amazon is selling the silver version for $428 less than the black one, they are also selling the Denon 989 receiver super cheap right now, looks like a deal to me.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can anyone suggest a decent sub-woofer that would work well with the Mythos 50 in my room size and at the same time be on the smaller side (trying to keep things small). I want to put the sub woofer behind the TV stand so a sub woofer that is tall rather than wide would be better. The room has a wood floor.

Thank you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Big Picture

I purchased the SSA 50 last week from Amazon. The price, as you stated for silver was a great deal. I have it connected to a Pioneer VSX-919AH-K 120 Watts (also from Amazon). I purchased a Definitive Technology Super Cube III. Quite small with a 650 watt amplifier. This setup is clearly better sounding than the Sony HT-CT 500.

Personally, I have two rooms with the Sony HTCT100 Sound Bar. Another room with the Sony HT-CT 500. The HTCT 100's are very nice (very reasonably priced). The HT-CT 500 is a noticeable step up from the 100. (No issues thus far, as some others have).

The SSA 50 with the mentioned Denon along with a subwoofer (I recommend the one I purchased, since it is very small) - you will be quite pleased!

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnj1211 /forum/post/16950510

Big Picture

I purchased the SSA 50 last week from Amazon. The price, as you stated for silver was a great deal. I have it connected to a Pioneer VSX-919AH-K 120 Watts (also from Amazon). I purchased a Definitive Technology Super Cube III. Quite small with a 650 watt amplifier. This setup is clearly better sounding than the Sony HT-CT 500.

Personally, I have two rooms with the Sony HTCT100 Sound Bar. Another room with the Sony HT-CT 500. The HTCT 100's are very nice (very reasonably priced). The HT-CT 500 is a noticeable step up from the 100. (No issues thus far, as some others have).

The SSA 50 with the mentioned Denon along with a subwoofer (I recommend the one I purchased, since it is very small) - you will be quite pleased!

PhilNj,

I'm looking at the same setup of a Silver Mythos Soundbar + Pioneer receiver.. I was considering saving a little dough and getting the Pioneer 819 instead of the 919. How do you like it so far. Do you listen to Music on the Soundbar? How does that sound? Can I do a soundbar only or does it really need a seperate Subwoofer?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Greg,

I do listen to music - sounds great. DVD, Blu-Ray, DVR, music - all sound great. No complaints at all. As for subwoofer or not, I am a big bass fan. My wife would probably call me insane (I have two ultras in our main theatre). Go to any Best Buy that has a Magnolia Store, or any reputable stereo seller and take a listen. Even without a sub, the SSA 50 with the Pioneer 819 will make you very happy.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnj1211 /forum/post/16951030

Greg,

I do listen to music - sounds great. DVD, Blu-Ray, DVR, music - all sound great. No complaints at all. As for subwoofer or not, I am a big bass fan. My wife would probably call me insane (I have two ultras in our main theatre). Go to any Best Buy that has a Magnolia Store, or any reputable stereo seller and take a listen. Even without a sub, the SSA 50 with the Pioneer 819 will make you very happy.

Thanks. I'll have to go give it a test listen.

So i take it you've had no problems with the Pioneer playing nicely with the Mythos? Any reason you went with the 919? I started eyeballing the 1019 when the reviews came out but realized I don't need that much. Then I looked at the 919 but when I started considering the Soundbar, I figured maybe just getting the 5.1 819 model would probably work just fine. I'll have to read more to see what the differences are beyond the Price and the 7.1 vs 5.1 receiver.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture /forum/post/16948222

YOTR,

Thanks for the input.

I'm leaning to the Mythos-50. Amazon is selling the silver version for $428 less than the black one, they are also selling the Denon 989 receiver super cheap right now, looks like a deal to me.

That's a great deal. I would jump on that

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture /forum/post/16948644

Can anyone suggest a decent sub-woofer that would work well with the Mythos 50 in my room size and at the same time be on the smaller side (trying to keep things small). I want to put the sub woofer behind the TV stand so a sub woofer that is tall rather than wide would be better. The room has a wood floor.

Thank you.

I set up my system tonight and am very pleased so far. The speaker came with a few nicks on it and I had quite a scare when I though I had a damaged woofer (it looks like part of the rubber is discolored or smeared with lighter shade of black/grey from the rest of the woofers but nothing is damaged and it sounds great) but otherwise everything is good. I actually got a great deal on a Definitive prosub 800 on ebay. It's the best 8 inch sub I have ever owned and so far has plenty of base for me plus it's really small.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided to get the Mythos 50 and a Denon 989 AVR from Amazon.com today. The 989 also has an exceptional Amazon price today. This combo looks like a winner, I am a Denon fan from way back. It's going to be interesting to see how the Denon Audyssey room calibration setup works with the Mythos 50.

Still haven't picked a sub woofer yet but the Def Tech Super Cube III looks like a good pick and I want a small one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am also considering the SSA-50 from Amazon. Can anyone comment on how metallic the aluminum finish really looks? I have a black-bezel Samsung 55" LCD and am curious as to how the two would look together.

Thanks,

Ron K.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the silver case doesn't have a shine to it you may be able to paint it black with a good black spray can rated for aluminum.

Haven't received mine yet but I'm told that the grille is a dark charcoal color, black grilles are available from Def Tech for $35 plus shipping.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg97ut /forum/post/16950945

PhilNj,

I'm looking at the same setup of a Silver Mythos Soundbar + Pioneer receiver.. I was considering saving a little dough and getting the Pioneer 819 instead of the 919. How do you like it so far. Do you listen to Music on the Soundbar? How does that sound? Can I do a soundbar only or does it really need a seperate Subwoofer?

I have Polk Sourroundbar50 with Polk PSW111 and very happy with sound and the looks too. I have 17X25 with 2 story ceiling.

Regarding receiver, please get the Pio919... I original get the 819 but returned it after 2 weeks because for whatever reason it is de-grading the video quality from my Bluray... I now have Pio919 receiver.. also the 919 has better display graphics and advance MCACC... I beleive the price diff betwen the 2 are less than $50... i think its worth to get the 919.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got my new Mythos 50 setup today with my Denon 989 and have to say I am quite pleased with the results. Also got the Def Tech Prosub 800 to go with it.

The silver finish I got is polished so I don't think it is easily painted black. The unit is so massive with a dark charcoal colored grill (actually looks black) that the silver case is hardly noticeable in my setup. Mine was placed on top of my older Samsung 56" DLP TV which has silver trim, looks terrific.

BTW this sucker is HEAVY. I don't see how you could wall mount this unless you can attach it to in wall studs on both sides. If weight is a problem for you I would go with the Polk unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Big Picture,

Wondering if you used Audyssey calibration for your Mythos SSA-50. I recently got one too with the Denon AVR 590. I'm pretty happy with it at moderate to high volume, you can hear alot of details that were missing previously with my television speakers. Yet, most of the time I listen at low volume cause my ears fatigue pretty quickly even at moderate levels. I'm trying to play with the Dynamic Volume and MultiEQ to see if I can improve on the details at low volume. Def Tech doesn't recommended running Audyssey as it can deterioate the sound, but have you tried it? What settings do you use?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
js,

I ran the Audyssey setup a couple of days ago with my Denon 989/Mythos SSA-50 and was amazed with the good results I got, much better than my Manual setup attempts. Dialog became crystal clear and the bass is outstanding (I have the Def Tech ProSub 800 subwoofer). You have nothing to lose in trying the Audyssey setup, if you don't like the results go back to your Manual setup. Make sure all your various Denon setup menu adjustments are correct before you use the Audyssey setup, batpig on the Denon 989 forum has a complete guide that you may be able to use.

Good Luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts