AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to set up My Movies Collection Manager on my Dune HD Base 3.0. I don't understand what directory structure it is expecting for my movies.

Today I have each movie in one folder in the root of the NFS share. MM creates an "Index" directory there, with all its stuff. When I open the share on the Dune, I see each movie, plus I see "Index" with all the good MM stuff.

I would like to go straight into that Index when I open the share on the Dune. Is there a way I can structure the directories to achieve this?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Three levels you want to understand:

1. Movie folder - Tell my movies to monitor this folder. Ideally you want to map the dune player straight to this folder.

2. Inside that are folders that contain your movies, with the movie name as the folder name. My movies is going to add a dune_folder.txt to this directory for you. If you want you can also add a backdrop here titled .background.jpg and the dune player will pick up on that for the folder background.

3. Inside those folders are either the ISO file or the VIDEO_TS file folder. My movies is going to add a - folder and a whole bunch of files to this folder, all the art work and another dune_folder.txt file gets added automatically.

You can repeat this as much as you want, personally I have four directory on my home server with this structure. Also for multi disk sets you can create a new #1 folder inside your #1 folder and start that multi disk set in there. Inside that new #1 folder you will have directory levels #2 and #3 as normal.

Edited.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, I got that part, but what about this Index directory that MyMovies creates? That's where it's expecting me to browse to find movies, not the top-level directory with all the movies in subdirectories.

I ended up putting the movies in a .movies directory. The period at the front of the directory name causes the Dune to hide it. So at the top level, all you see is Index. Then after running MyMovies to update the index, I move everything under Index up one directory. Then delete the now-empty Index directory and the unneeded mymovies.dna file.

It's a big ugly mess, but it works for now.

Supposedly there is something called YaDIS that is coming soon. Right now it's French only. I will have to try that out, since I find MyMovies to be such a hack.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have no idea what to do with this index directory thing, I don't use it.

If I am doing this wrong please let me know!

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBurn /forum/post/18237460

I have no idea what to do with this index directory thing, I don't use it.

If I am doing this wrong please let me know!

Oh... no wonder! MyMovies creates this very nice Index directory with basically soft links to all your movies, organized in various ways. By decade, by parental rating, by genre, etc. There is also an "All Movies" index that lists them all in one big list.

So I want to hide the actual movie directories from the Dune interface and just use the Index directory, which has everything I need for user navigation.

Hence, the hackery I explained in post #3.

In MyMovies, under the Dune options, it has a field for the Index directory name (default is "Index"). Maybe there's an enable checkbox too, I forget.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBurn /forum/post/18238287

If you have it working please show it, I don't seem to have anything listed in those index entries.

I've got everything hosed right now since I accidentally deleted all my iso's while playing with this. After I rerip everything I'll come back and post some screen shots.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBurn /forum/post/18238287

If you have it working please show it, I don't seem to have anything listed in those index entries.

This page on the
My Movies wiki

shows the index directory as it's supposed to be.

In My Movies, under Tools | Options | Meta Data Storage, there is a list of "storage environments". One of them is HDI Dune. Make sure its check box is checked, and click the Configure button next to it. The Index Folder Name should be "Index".

Next time it recreates all the meta data (like after you add a new title to the database) it will recreate the Index directory and dozens of files inside it.

Then my trick is to move everything under Index to the top-level directory of the share, and delete the now-empty Index directory. It still seems to work even though the relative paths have now changed. Don't ask me why.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've no idea how mymovies index is supposed to work! I've got as far as getting the index with the icons and what not, but all it shows in the category's is a blank folder with the name of the movie under it! There's no art work or movie!

I've been trawling through forums and posts for hours trying to find out how to use this thing and it's driving me mad!!

Is there any where that explains how to do this??

·
Registered
160 Posts
Still not working and I have been trying quite a bit. Near as I can tell this is the problem, I don't have the folder selection option.

From the wiki page.

What I have, lacking some info here.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a similar issue, I've got two servers one with 8 drives and the other 16, I have each of the servers mounted to a windows drive with each drive existing as a sub folder to that location. When I run the indexing process in mymovies nothing happens for the 16 drive server, program starts as normal however the program subsequently hangs anyway I think it does because i've left it running for a week and still nothing happened. I'm not sure whether this is a processing power issue due to the large number of drives, however folder montoring works fine for all the mounted drives.

Its a bit if a pain having to search through each folder drive in order to locate a movie, would be much better if I could get the indexing process to work properly.

Any ideas on a possible solution?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't know, do you get the movies and folders to display at least like I pictured above?

I know people out there have the index working so what I am asking is for screen shots of the directory structure used on the home server and the my movies plug-in for meta data and Dune config, this is what I have:

·
Registered
985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ /forum/post/18224539

I'm trying to set up My Movies Collection Manager on my Dune HD Base 3.0. I don't understand what directory structure it is expecting for my movies.

Today I have each movie in one folder in the root of the NFS share. MM creates an "Index" directory there, with all its stuff. When I open the share on the Dune, I see each movie, plus I see "Index" with all the good MM stuff.

I would like to go straight into that Index when I open the share on the Dune. Is there a way I can structure the directories to achieve this?

I know exactly what you mean. So I went ahead and created an NFS share right on the Dune main screen to that INDEX folder. So when I click that share it dumps me right into the main INDEX movie list. BUT (there is always a but), it does not display any DVD covers or movie information. So, there is a difference if you browse through the network and goto the INDEX folder then having a network share right into it. What is different, I have no idea how My Movies is working behind the scenes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am so pissed right now, I was working on the mymovies forum trying to fix this

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbus /forum/post/0

NOW I HAVE SOME SUCCESS,

FIRST RENAME "INDEX" TO "00-INDEX"

SECOND SELECT YOUR COMPLETE VIDEO FOLDER AND DRAG AND DROP TO THE "OO-INDEX"FILE (ALL MOVIES MUST BE WITHEN THIS FOLDER)

WORKS WELL,ONE LINE OF COVERS,SELECT MOVIE PRESS ENTER UP COMES INFO PRESS AGAIN AND MOVIE PLAYS

I CAN ONLY ACCESS VIA NETWORK BROWSER>SNB>WORKGROUP>SERVER>VIDEO AT THE MOMENT,BUT WORKING ON IT!

I didn't see the point in renaming the index folder and then putting the movies in it, I figured that would just create two index folders which I didn't want so I put my movies in the index folder and then kicked off the my movies dune setup manual update.

Ten Terabytes of movies just got deleted, you can't imagine how pissed I am right now.

Please give me a picture of your directory structure.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe /forum/post/18290166

I know exactly what you mean. So I went ahead and created an NFS share right on the Dune main screen to that INDEX folder. So when I click that share it dumps me right into the main INDEX movie list. BUT (there is always a but), it does not display any DVD covers or movie information. So, there is a difference if you browse through the network and goto the INDEX folder then having a network share right into it. What is different, I have no idea how My Movies is working behind the scenes.

If you create a share to the INDEX folder then the movies are not under that share and the Dune won't be able to find them. The movies are in directories that are siblings to the INDEX directory. You need to create a share to a folder that contains the INDEX folder AND the movie folders.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avNeophyte /forum/post/18293582

If you create a share to the INDEX folder then the movies are not under that share and the Dune won't be able to find them. The movies are in directories that are siblings to the INDEX directory. You need to create a share to a folder that contains the INDEX folder AND the movie folders.

A similar thing happened to me when I tried to specify '.' as the INDEX folder. MyMovies deleted all of my movies. I was trying to configure MyMovies to create the index structure directly in the base movies folders so that I wouldn't have to navigate down through the INDEX folder to access the indexes. I wanted them at the top level. I guess MyMovies deletes the old INDEX folder and all contents when updating/rebuilding the index. Maybe it should be called DeleteMyMovies.

I must say MyMovies is a poorly designed and implemented product. I hope the new french product is better.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like you have the index working? If so could you take a picture of your directory structure? I am willing to give this one more shot before I just write off the index ever working, would be nice to have but not a must for me.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avNeophyte /forum/post/18293625

A similar thing happened to me when I tried to specify '.' as the INDEX folder. MyMovies deleted all of my movies. I was trying to configure MyMovies to create the index structure directly in the base movies folders so that I wouldn't have to navigate down through the INDEX folder to access the indexes. I wanted them at the top level. I guess MyMovies deletes the old INDEX folder and all contents when updating/rebuilding the index. Maybe it should be called DeleteMyMovies.

I must say MyMovies is a poorly designed and implemented product. I hope the new french product is better.

As I explained above, if you put all your movies in a directory named .movies (period as the first character), they will not show up on the Dune GUI. Then have MyMovies create Index at the same directory level as .movies. Then move Index/* up one directory and delete the now-empty Index directory.

As long as .movies is in the root directory of the share, this should work. Now my Dune home screen has one share, I click once and I see "All Titles", "Genres", etc.

It's an ugly hack but it's working for me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts