AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So great news for people who are pursuing the lofty goal of automated ripping of your DVDs and blu-rays. Previously, automatic disc ripping was limited to the WHS version of MyMovies, but now, the WHS and Windows desktop version are going to be rolled into one program. More info here: http://www.mymovies.dk/how-to/written-documentation.aspx?Page=Getting+started+the+My+Movies+5+Pre+Release .

This was a pretty annoying limitation before, because you needed two separate computers if you wanted automated disc ripping and a WMC "server". Now one computer can manage disc ripping and TV tuners in WMC and, if you want, also act as an HTPC!

MyMovies also recently added to option to convert your DVDs and blu-rays to lossless MKV files. Currently, I manually convert my movies to MKV's via makemkv and move the MKVs to my server. With MyMovies' solution, I could simply pop the disc in (multiple discs at a time even), and all the work would be done for me. I haven't tested this extensively yet though to determine how well it manages some of the trickier blu-ray discs.

FYI, access to the MyMovies 5 pre-release does require 2500 contribution points right now, which equates to $100.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Seems to me that auto-ripping would only truly be useful if their disc database contains playlist info.

ie. you pop in your disc and it knows which playlist is the main movie and only rips that.

And with TV discs it would need to automatically rip each episode and name it correctly. (for those funny discs where the playlist order doesn't match the episode order).

It would be no good to me if just rips everything on the disc.

Does the current WHS version do this?

And are they planning on doing a Media Browser and providing non-WMC playback options?

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilengineer  /t/1520984/mymovies-removing-whs-requirement-for-automatic-disc-ripping#post_24439626

Seems to me that auto-ripping would only truly be useful if their disc database contains playlist info.

ie. you pop in your disc and it knows which playlist is the main movie and only rips that.

And with TV discs it would need to automatically rip each episode and name it correctly. (for those funny discs where the playlist order doesn't match the episode order).

It would be no good to me if just rips everything on the disc.

Does the current WHS version do this?

And are they planning on doing a Media Browser and providing non-WMC playback options?

It does rip to MKV the main movie, HD audio, selected subtitles, and chapter info. I've never tried a TV series so I can't answer that. MyMovies has a huge collection of disc info, covers, metadata, summaries, and whatever else that will automatically applied and linked to the rip.

·
Registered
494 Posts
No, it doesn't know what the main movie is when there are multiple options. Their DB is user created, very inconsistent around guidance and implementation of many aspects and doesn't have to do with rips. You don't have the option to put in chapter names if the disc has them. There are also issues around forced subtitles when they are separate tracks that it won't know to pull. Net is if you do anything automatic with Blu-ray rips you are going to have more issues than taking another minute or two to use something that is easy but gives you more control like MakeMKV and will end up costing you much more time in the long run when you play your movie and find out there are issues. If the extra few minutes aren't worth it then you should really consider why you are taking the time and spending the money on HDD to put your movies on a server. And if it is because that way the disc can be shipped it back to Netflix more quickly then *insert bad words*... :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts