AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uklit /forum/post/17483703

Are you using a Hi-Pass filter on the THT?

I always run a high-pass when I am getting used to a new sub's capabilities. Now that I know what this is capable of, I've removed it completely.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym /forum/post/17483330

I'm sad to say there won't be any MAX SPL measurements posted. At least in the short term future. After I came home from work I started playing with the THT, demoing some music and some movies. I had it up a bit higher than I normally do. Not 15 mins after I turned everything off did I get a knock on the door.. Guess who. The Police. He was really cool about it. I explained how I had been working on it all summer and I was just "Testing it out". He just told me to keep it down and left. I'm kinda bummed about it because this visit sets a precedence. It means I have to watch the volume each and every time I watch a movie now.

The story I heard was, the airport called the police and complained about the noise coming from your house.

Okay, I just made that up.

I'm on my way to check your build thread. Thanks for letting us in on it.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
That thing must be a beast.

I've got to ask, are there any similar designs out there that use 10" drivers? I'd really like to build something like that using some of the drivers I have sitting around.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I really dont need to build another sub but my 2 AV15,s would be absolutely sick in those horns.

I might just have to oder a set of those plans.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H /forum/post/17484626

That thing must be a beast.

I've got to ask, are there any similar designs out there that use 10" drivers? I'd really like to build something like that using some of the drivers I have sitting around.

The Tuba HT's little brother, The Table Tuba was designed for 8s or 10s. The only thing to consider is driver selection. Horns are rather picky as far as that goes.

Bill recommends either a $35 8" MCM 55-2421 driver or a 10" Eminence HL10C for the Table Tuba. Other drivers can be used but you'll definitely want to run it by him to verify they'll work in his horns.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I'm still reading the build thread.

Great thread, Mynym!

I'm only on page 7 of 28, but enjoying every bit of it.

There are comments I could make during the build, such as "Route a mating dadoe to compensate for the extra panel width, rather than plane the panel down to size," but it's history already.

One thing I wondered was if your router's thermal protection kicked in.

That has happened to me before and I had to let a fan blow on it while I took a break. My thermal protection resets itself after it cools down enough.

I'm heading back to the build thread to see how it ends.

Oh wait, I already know--the police knock on your door, because your new sub kicks some serious butt.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy2112 /forum/post/17485176

How do you think this would work with the Tempest x

The thing to remember about most horn designs is that you don't want a driver with massive excursion as it overloads the enclosure.

·
Registered
163 Posts
How directional is it ? I have one in my garage (2x 12" Eminence LabTec) just finishing up the carpet. Haven't brought in the house to test only outside....I thought someone would call the Sheriffs so i shut her down........This was built for a friend to be used with a band(?).................48"w x 48"h x 24"d...........I'll post a pic later.............

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg1161 /forum/post/17486049

How directional is it ? I have one in my garage (2x 12" Eminence LabTec) just finishing up the carpet. Haven't brought in the house to test only outside....I thought someone would call the Sheriffs so i shut her down........This was built for a friend to be used with a band(?).................48"w x 48"h x 24"d...........I'll post a pic later.............

Hrm, Based solely on the dimensions I suspect this is not the Tuba HT but perhaps another horn?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Very well done, Thank you for posting here!!

·
Bass Enabler
21,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym /forum/post/17486730

Hrm, Based solely on the dimensions I suspect this is not the Tuba HT but perhaps another horn?

Maybe the Titan48?

Love this build, mynym! Lot's of bass, no doubt.
LTD02 is interested in measurements, I am interested in how it reacts to boundary placement and more subjective comments of the sound. Have you tried loading it into the corner to effectively enlarge the horn flare or anything like that? How directional is it? Will it sound as loud/good if not pointing towards the LP?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/17487579

Maybe the Titan48?

Love this build, mynym! Lot's of bass, no doubt.
LTD02 is interested in measurements, I am interested in how it reacts to boundary placement and more subjective comments of the sound. you tried loading it into the corner to effectively enlarge the horHave n flare or anything like that? How directional is it? Will it sound as loud/good if not pointing towards the LP?

I'm in the process of cleaning up the media room where the THT is currently in.

I'd like to move it over to the opposing corner. There is just so much "crap" in the way right now it would be dangerous for the wife and I to move it.

From Bill Fitzmaurice's Horn placement thread

Quote:
Boundary loading should be used whenever it's practical to do so. Having subs next to a wall gets you 6dB of additional sensitivity, and putting them in a corner an extra 12dB. In most cases you'll have best results aiming the subs towards the wall or corner with the mouth about a foot away from the boundary, using the room corner as an extension of the horn as shown here:

As far as detection of directional output, I've currently got it crossed over at 63hz. When level matched to the rest of my system it blends in seamlessly. Although I can easily overpower the rest of my system if I really wanted as shown in my YouTube videos.

Where sound is concerned, the THT is effortlessly dynamic. I believe Tom Danley recently tried to explain it in the DTS-10 thread. If I can give it an analogy, it's like driving a car with 2000 hp. You can cruise around at 65mph all day long and when you need to pass (be more dynamic) you can effortlessly put your foot down just a tiny bit and get to 200mph very quickly without alot of exertion.

In the case of the horn, I only need to feed it 28 out of the 600 RMS watts the driver is rated for to get levels above 120 dbs @ 20hz. And as the drivers distortion level at this extremely low power is almost unmeasurable, the ultimate output is clean and uncolored.

Even putting your ear down where the exit of the horn is, the bass sounds ridiculously clean, no mud or discoloration. I can audibly hear the difference between the THT and the other subs I've built for both home and car.

1 - 20 of 406 Posts