AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on a nice little program that will play slides, loop through music, and then kick off High Definition Quicktime movie trailers.

I've FINALLY got it working, pretty good, too, if I'm allowed to pat myself on the back.

Well, my web site is in my footer and I'd love for some fellow enthusiasts to help me out and recommend changes, etc.

It was written in strictly C# so it requires Windows (please don't bash me for using Microsoft's products), Quicktime, .NET 2.0 framework, and Windows Media Player. In other words, if you have XP, Media Center, or Vista then it will work fine. I even used Microsoft's new ClickOnce technology so let me know if that works ok.

When you make your way to my web site, click on the Cinema link.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It uses Microsoft's ClickOnce technology, so it's suppose to work like this:

Click the install button once, and the program installs over the Internet without having to click through multiple install boxes, etc. I think this is more beneficial for Intranet applications so I'm going to create a standard install package.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Does this work with MCE if i link it to a xbox360 to get it on my TV If so i would love to give it a try for you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it will run on Windows Media Center Edition, but I'm not sure about a 360. Perhaps this will give me a good excuse to get one.

Has anyone tried it out yet?

·
Registered
393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTal /forum/post/0

Yes, it will run on Windows Media Center Edition, but I'm not sure about a 360. Perhaps this will give me a good excuse to get one.

Has anyone tried it out yet?

I install it and added four jpeg. Started the slide show and it showed the first three however the pictures were very large. When it got to third one I got the following error message:

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit the application will close immediately. Object reference not set to an instance of a object."

I clicked continue but nothing happen.

Overall very cool but how can I use this on my wide screen TV?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the feedback. I was able to reproduce the error. It is caused by not having trailers added. I will add this to my fix list for the next release.

If you have a Home Theatre PC connected to your wide screen TV then you can use this to loop through slides, for example the Coca Cola slides being sold in this forum, then after looping it will kick off High Definition trailers you may have added. All displaying in HD. It currently doesn't scale images so if you have a 1080p tv try using images sized to 1920x1080 pixel resolution and it'll loop perfect along with 1080 Quicktime trailers.

Thank you so much for the feedback.. please keep it coming.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I've tracked down that error message. Apparently Microsoft assumes you have this file already (stdole assembly), but apparently this is a problem with a lot of folks. Google your error and you will see. (geez, thanks Microsoft)

When I built the application, it marks that file as a prerequisite. I'll make sure it is included in my next build.

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm impressed so far with it. I too ran into the error by not having previews to play.

I'm off to download a few trailers and previews....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a few issues with it.

1 - It hangs when trying to add slides from a cd.

2 - When organizing slides/music/trailers you should be able to select multiple items using shift or ctrl click but this does not work.

Overall this is a great project that with a little tweaking will be a big hit here.

Great work!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate the feedback.

gscott69, Great idea, I will check into the multiple selection editing. Not sure about the slides from CD, I'll have to try it out.

Any more ideas? Anybody manage to run it successfully with trailers and all?

Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Greetings!

I'd love to check it out. And, for what it's worth, I might be able to lend some assistance to future development if not debugging, as I too am a software development pro of some 25+ years, the last 16+ of which exclusively in MS technologies. Specifically, my current skill set include C#, .NET Framework 2.0, ASP.NET 2.0, ADO.NET 2.0, WinForms, SQL Server 2005.

Let me know if your interested in my testing as well.

I look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Looks great, keep up the good work!

I also got the error described above (running on Vista). Have not yet made it to the trailers...

As for suggestions, how about adding a timed control for the trailer section?

Let me explain: it would be great if this program could be used to present slides & music while people are waiting\\coming in, but at a (preset) time slides and music fade out and trailers would start rolling... (hope you get the idea
).

Another suggestion would be to be able to execute a command after the last trailer plays (which would enable you to trigger the main movie start).

Yet another suggestion would be to enable randomizing of the slides\\music\ railers.

Hope i am making myself clear enough... and not asking too much of you.. :S

Thanks for a great project!!

Update: just tried trailers, but got a Class Not Registered error. Could be due to the fact i'm playing MOV's without having QuickTime installed yet... However, the program just quits with this error. May be a good idea to catch this and do some checks at program start.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Excellent ideas! I had thought about the timer control, but put it off. I'll definitely include it, though.

I have a bad habit of doing error checking last and sometimes forget to go back once a project is done. Thank goodness for testers!

Thanks again for all of the participation...

-Tal

·
Registered
429 Posts
Great SuperTal, I'll be looking forward to testing again!

On second thought, timer control should probably be broader to be beneficial to more people. It should be event control (where event can either be time, mouse click, keyboard action, remote button press, etc).

Have more ideas, but don't want to burry you in them...

Thanks a lot for an excellent project!

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.