AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can this company deliver such a wonderful product - I love my two 4532s - and be so unbelievably lame about customer support. India knows nothing about it, even their supervisors. It's been down for more than two days and, being away from home, I'm EXTREMELY frustrated that I can't set up and check recordings.

With such a wonderful forum as this, and the very occasional comment from replayRichard, why can't the company issue some news about it. It would be so simple. It reminds me of the lamentable job being done by Motorola over 4dTV - fabulous product, appalling back up support.

What can we do?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Several users have reported problems ins this forum and on Yahoo that they have not been able to send shows over the internet. I was first aware of the issue on 9/20 and have not been able to send anything since. No luck with 1st level tech support -- they are not aware of any issues.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
See post #3. Replay is rebuild the myreplaytv server, which we assume also supports IVS resolution. I would say it would be up tomorrow, but that's a SWAG based on what I know about rebuilding a webserver... :)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Zadkiel
According to Replay_Richard, the server went down due to a hard disk failure. They are restoring from backup tape.
OK...I work at a tiny (read less then 1.5 mill budget) non profit that provides web based software for a variety of arts clients. Our servers run RAID 1 and we have a backup server to replace the primary servers if something goes REALLY bad.

It sounds like DNNA had NO failure plan in place other than tapes. NOT a good business plan.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Oh for cryin out loud. I love you guys and I'm grateful for the inside info when we get it and the personal help. But, IF REPLAY RICHARD KNOWS ABOUT THIS, WHY ISN'T HE POSTING IT HERE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For that matter, where is ReplayLyndon? BETTER STILL, WHY ISN'T DNNA POSTING IT HERE?

I love my units - I really, really do - all SEVEN of them. But this is getting (getting?) rediculous. It's just one thing after another. Did they not learn from the big Memorial Day Refurb sale fiasco - not notifying their customers of issues is REALLY BAD FOR BUSINESS!!! Didn't we get an e-mail apologizing for their lack of response to that issue? And now, here we are, right back where we were.

HOW HARD IS IT FOR THEM TO POST A MESSAGE TO THEIR SUPPORT PAGE???????? Or send us an e-mail?

-emmarie

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
This is a common problem. Companies need a communications protocol to deal with outages like this, and often fail to have one of the steps be 'put it on the support web page', never mind 'post it in forums where a lot of users are'.

The real issue is that it appears to be no one's job to even read things here, never mind post here. I doubt Lyndon is *supposed* to be helping us out, he probably just has an understanding with his manager that it cuts down on support calls, so it's a good use of his time (or perhaps it's not even that formalized!).

As I've said before, many suits have no clue on how useful/important their website is (and AVS-sort of places are) to communicating things to the client base.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by emmarie
Did they not learn from the big Memorial Day Refurb sale fiasco - not notifying their customers of issues is REALLY BAD FOR BUSINESS!!! Didn't we get an e-mail apologizing for their lack of response to that issue? And now, here we are, right back where we were.
I got my box in the August refurb sale... can you tell me what the Memorial Day fiasco was?

Of course, it's probably too late for me, since I broke the seal to peek inside last week...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Working for a large commericial web hosting company, I've learned one thing --- servers are crap.

For what companies pay for the server, you would think they could handle problems a little more efficiently.

I've seen fully configured servers go down because one of the RAID disks failed. It does happen, and not that infrequently.

Remember the myreplaytv.com isn't a money maker, so I'm sure the server/servers aren't as robust or redundant as someone hosting hallmark or ford.

SB went bankrupt so I'm sure the configuration didn't get the funds, hopefully DNNA will devote a little more resources to myreplaytv server --- but since its not a money maker --- we will have to see.

Say it went away tommorrow, do you think everyone would return their replays? Reading this group, its a wonder why so many on here have multiple replays. Yes I'd be upset, but the TOS says they can change any function at any time --- basically.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Providing MyReplayTv.com should not be viewed as an optional extra which we should be grateful to receive. It's an integral part of purchasing a ReplayTV. Without it, many of us who travel constantly will "defect" to the new Pioneer/TiVO combo.

The lack of information from this company is a TOTAL disgrace.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gizmo91
Working for a large commericial web hosting company, I've learned one thing --- servers are crap.
having worked for (and been laid off from) "the world's largest business web hosting provider" I know how undervalued support is whenever times get tough, also.

If the company you work for starts with a V and ends (so far) with a buyout by a foreign company, the selling off or cancelling of all non-business-grade services on the "internet side" of the company, and the layoff of over a thousand people (including most of the engineers (like me)), then we might know each other in real life :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Remember the myreplaytv.com isn't a money maker, so I'm sure the server/servers aren't as robust or redundant as someone hosting hallmark or ford.
It is not that expensive to build a raid 5 system with an online spare hard drive. In this type of setup it would require 3 individual hard drives to fail before the whole system went down. If you really want to go crazy you could mirror that and make it a raid-10 system and still keep the cost to less than 10k. (probably less than some of you have paid for all of your replay systems).

·
Registered
886 Posts
My thinking is that replay probably has a RAID system in place. I would think that more likely, there was a motherboard problem, or a problem with the RAID controller rather than just a HD failure.

Considering that ReplayRichard said this problem was caused by some weird problems, my vote would be for the motherboard or controller being bad.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzieman
It is not that expensive to build a raid 5 system with an online spare hard drive. In this type of setup it would require 3 individual hard drives to fail before the whole system went down. If you really want to go crazy you could mirror that and make it a raid-10 system and still keep the cost to less than 10k. (probably less than some of you have paid for all of your replay systems).
This may sound insane, but... I've been trying to work out a way to RAID my ReplayTV.

This isn't as impossible as it sounds. Of course, the box itself doesn't have hardware RAID capabilities, and I have no intention of learning VxWorks, hacking into my box, learning how to write software RAID drivers, etc. However... there are standalone RAID adapters out there. Most, of course, are PCI based, but I swear I saw a standalone IDE to IDE RAID adapter somewhere, that worked inline and was powered by a y-cable, just like an IDE to SATA adapter is. Even if I can't locate one of those, maybe I could get an IDE to SCSI adapter and start from there? Hmmmm...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why go thru the trouble? Just set yourself up with a pc and use DVArchive to do an automated download every night. Then you could install as many disks as you like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Now this message is on the myreplaytv website:

MyReplayTV is currently unavailable due to maintenance. We apologize for this inconvenience. We expect to have the MyReplay TV service restored approximately September 30th. Please check back then.

Thank you!

- ReplayTV

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Well, since my theory's always been that they run these server's out of some random guy's basement, maybe random guy is on vacation, and they have to wait for him to get back before they can get into his house to replace/fix the hardware.

Only half joking.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.