AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold a ReplayTV 3030. I can go to MyReplayTV.com and I see all the shows the new owner has recorded. I could really play with his mind.

There is an "unsubscribe" button on the login page of MyReplayTV, but it wants, in addition to my username and password, the Service Key. I don't know what the Service Key is and the unit is no longer in my posession. I can try getting it from the new owner I guess.

I have sent emails to [email protected] , but the emails come back as undeliverable. I tried a few days ago and again just now.

As an aside, how can a website be "self supporting"?

David

·
Registered
483 Posts
Can't you just abandon that user name and create a new one for your new RTV? or can a single account there control multiple units? I realize there is no good reason for you to abandon your login name there but that seems like a viable solution..

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could do that but I am haysdb almost everywhere and I don't want to give up that username. A potentially good reason though is so that the new owners can sign up for MyReplayTV if they want to. I suspect you can't subscribe to the same machine from multiple accounts, but maybe you can.

It does not appear as though a single account can control multiple units since I don't see anywhere to subscribe a new ReplayTV from within my existing account.

David

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to create a new account and got an error

An error has occurred.

Error Code: MRS-1002

I swear, I have tried to activate two different Replays at least a half dozen times at the SonicBlue web site, and now subscribe to MyReplayTV, all this over a period of three weeks, and I have gotten an error every single time. My internet connection works flawlessly everywhere else, and between my son and I, we spend a lot of time on the web. Also, customer support has been able to duplicate the errors, so it's not just me. I can understand MyReplayTV, since it is "self supported", but how can the activation function not work for two weeks when that is your ONLY source of revenue? Ah, but I digress, and that is not the subject of this thread. :)

David

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
If you know the serial number, send it to me in a PM and I can give you the service key.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know the serial number either. The Service Key basically IS the serial number, with three extra characters at the end, right? So the trick then is to know how to "compute" those last three characters?

I have emailed the people I sold my unit to. I asked them for the number, told them why I needed it, and gave them instructions on how to find it.

David

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Yes, exactly right.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I sold my Showstopper. I had to use a new account name. I just checked and myreplay account for that unit; it still works. Its nearly a year later! I may actually have the S/N somewhere but now that I made a new account name its not so important anymore.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, I don't think I mentioned that my emails to MyReplayTV are still getting bounced, so no help there, not that there ever was anyway.

David

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's actually pretty cool though -- MyRTV didn't have a way to unsubscribe at all before... I just did it and re-subbed recently...

Maybe you can just email the new owner of your old RTV and let him know what's going on and tell him to unsubscribe his own account. That should delete all accounts tied to the old RTV Service Key (including your haysdb acct), then you can re-sub... He should be willing to do it since he probably doesn't want you to still have access to his RTV at all...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
st63z, If he had had an objection to giving me the Service Key, I would have changed my password and told him my account name and password and let him do it himself. He gave me the service key and I was able to unsubscribe the unit just now, which then allowed me to subscribe to my new one using my old (and cherished) account name. So, all is now well.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

David

·
Registered
483 Posts
Glad it worked out for you, I understand how giving up the username would only really be the last resort =)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.