AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled the trigger on a Myryad MXA5150 Amp to power my four surounds. I couldnt pass on the deal Audio Advisor was selling them at, $999 with free shipping. Supposedly the MXA5150 (5 x 150w) goes for $3k + but I havent been able to find any reviews on this amp. So, after a few hours of listening to this amp and it being hooked up to my Pioneer SC-27 receiver powering my four rear speakers, I'm satisfied. I do hear a bit more clarity and punch than when using my SC-27 to power them. From a build perspective, very good quality and holy cow does this unit way a ton. I beleive it was 86 pounds shipped. The unit is massive and needs some good counter space to put this on. Any other users/testers of Myryad out there using the MXA sries amps? Any opinions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey just wondering why you chose to use the Myryad MXA5150 for the rears? I was thinking of changing out my Rotel RMB-1075 (which I have on my LCR and sides) for Myryad amp. I would think you would get better results than using the Pioneer to power the mains.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running some XQ40 Series KEF speaker up front and these speakers like class D amps, (140 watt amp on my pioneer). This Myryad amp is powering two NHT in-walls (side) and two KEF XQ bookshelfs in the rear. This way it relieves some strain off of the Pioneer. Some day I might run a test with the Myryad running my KEF's but for now I'm happy with this set up.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklerama  /t/1418371/myryad-mxa-amp-review#post_22210277

I'm running some XQ40 Series KEF speaker up front and these speakers like class D amps, (140 watt amp on my pioneer). This Myryad amp is powering two NHT in-walls (side) and two KEF XQ bookshelfs in the rear. This way it relieves some strain off of the Pioneer. Some day I might run a test with the Myryad running my KEF's but for now I'm happy with this set up.

Found a few power specs for the myryad amps knucklerama and there configurable ; this is a review of the 2ch version

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/myryad/duo.html

Its a very stable amp driving difficult low impedance speakers [230w into 4 ohm] and even though your pio's class d amps are efficient I would seriously consider running the myryad through your l/c/r and surrounds as well [not to mention better isolation from the pre amp section] . Myryad being a British brand would have a certain synchronicity with your British speakers
Absolute bargain you got there

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for good feedback! I did read this review prior to purchasing the Myryad and had the same thoughts. I will try this config. and update the thread with my results. It might be a few weeks so stay tuned!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Final Update with Myryad connected to my five KEF speakers and my SC-27 only running two surrounds.

I definately hear some improvement up front in clarity and the sound stage opening up even wider which I didnt think was possible. I still grow more impressed with my XQ KEF's as these speakers do well with good components but even better with quality components. Overall, I'm keeping with this set up as it has made a difference and this amp is great! I will say it does get hot so I had to add a parasound fan to help keep things cool. Thanks for all the advice and I would definately recommend this amp at the price I purchased it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts