AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently, 9 months after my system was initially installed, I have a mysterious humming in all my speakers that appears to be coming from my computer monitor. I have my computer connected to the receiver to play music throughout the house. The humming only occurs when the monitor is on and connected to the computer via the VGA cable (the computer does not have to be on). The power source is not the issue since I tried plugging the monitor in to another outlet to no avail. It's a 17" LCD flat screen monitor, and the computer is connected via RCA audio cables. The humming also stops when I disconnect the computer from the receiver.

Any ideas what might me causing the humm?

Thanks,

Dan:confused:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
So you have the humming anytime the monitor is on, regardless of the status of the computer? And the two things required to make the hum are 1. Monitor is on and 2. RCA cables connected. If the monitor is off, no hum, and if the RCA cables are disconnected, no hum.

Is the hum high pitched, like a hiss, or low pitched like a hoommmmm?

Also try disconnecting one of the RCAs at a time and see what happens.

I suspect the monitor is emitting RFI/EMI which is being picked up by your cables. It is also possible the power cord for the monitor is emitting EMI which is being picked up. Try seperating the monitor and it's power cable from the RCA cables and see if the hum changes in intensity. Also it is less likely that you could induce much hum in you speakers, unless they are very efficient, through you speaker cables but if they go too close to the monitor perhaps you should move them also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill,

The humm is higher pitched. It's present in both RCA cables. I have the monitor plugged into an outlet that is not near the stereo equipment and the power cables are not running anywhere near the RCA cables.

The weird thing is that it's been working fine for months, no changes. I'm stumped. I'm going to try plugging in a different monitor. If that doesn't do it, I think I'll try a new sound card and video card.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Kinsella
Bill,

The humm is higher pitched. It's present in both RCA cables. I have the monitor plugged into an outlet that is not near the stereo equipment and the power cables are not running anywhere near the RCA cables.

The weird thing is that it's been working fine for months, no changes. I'm stumped. I'm going to try plugging in a different monitor. If that doesn't do it, I think I'll try a new sound card and video card.

Thanks,

Dan
Actually, the monitor should be plugged into the same power outlet as the stereo equipment. That way they'll share a common ground point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.