AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Mt. Airy Md. which is about 25 miles west of Baltimore, and the same distance north of DC.

I have a Samsung SIRT-151 receiver and a Terk TV 55 antenna in the attic with which I can pick up most of the Balt. and D.C stations. I don't seem to be able to pick up any of the PBS stations from either city.

However, I can pick up this one PBS station, but I'm not sure where it's coming from. Its call letters are PBS1DTV and its channel is 80.

Does anyone know where it's coming from?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Channel 80 allows the national PBS feed to be distributed to stations without a PSIP of their own. (PSIP is what makes a DT channel appear as another, usually corresponding to the station's familar analog channel) Since there are no stations on channel 80, PBS chose it as their "national PSIP." Stations have the option of using their own PSIP as well if they have the equipment.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it was driving me a bit nuts trying to figure out where it was coming from.

I think 80 does have the best looking programming of any of the stations that I can get. Unfortunately, it's usually just virtual tours of cities and such which repeat every so often. A lot of the time, the logo NJN is down in the bottom right of the screen. It was making me think that I was picking up New Jersey ...

I went out to antennaweb.org to try to figure out what I should be able to receive. 42 isn't on the list for my area. I had to type in a Baltimore address before it gave me channel 42.

Also, the channels that are listed on this site don't tell you what virtual channel each station uses. Is there other site that has this info, or any other way to figure it out?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
One way to associate digital channels with their analog counterparts on antennaweb.org is to match up call signs between them. In most cases, the channel number for the analog station is used for the virtual channel number of the digital station with the same call sign. For example, in our area, KOMO analog is channel 4 while KOMO digital broadcasts on real channel 38 but identifies its virtual channel as 4-1.

·
Registered
897 Posts
You may be picking up a NJN station, but the PBS stations shoot their own "virtual tours" and give them to the network who then assembles each station's tour into one big loop you see when watching PBS DT. You can see the same thing on HDNet some times. Watching NJN out of Trenton in Philly I saw WETA, NJN, WHYY, OK. City PBS, Pittsburgh PBS, and other's bugs on the bottom.

You can see which PBS station you are picking up by entering their actual digital channel assignment on your reciever. If the reciever jumps to 80-1 after entering the channel, that is the station you are watching. All PBS feeds will appear as 80-1 PBSDTV1 because of the PSIP. You can find DT channel listings at www.100000watts.com

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I usually do use the anntennaweb listing to understand the digital - analog station relationships. I just couldn't figure out WMPT (42) since it wasn't on my the listing for the my area, and I didn't know about how PBS has 80 alloted to it. It seems kind of odd that a station would want to be associated with a frequency that they're really not brodcasting on...

When I get home, I'll try plugging in the various PBS digital channel assignments and see which one I'm actually getting. According to my antennaweb listing, I'm more likely to get some of the other PBS channels than than 42.

Thanks for the link to 100000watts.com. It looks like a real handy resource.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sat_uplinker
You may be picking up a NJN station, but the PBS stations shoot their own "virtual tours" and give them to the network who then assembles each station's tour into one big loop you see when watching PBS DT. You can see the same thing on HDNet some times. Watching NJN out of Trenton in Philly I saw WETA, NJN, WHYY, OK. City PBS, Pittsburgh PBS, and other's bugs on the bottom.

You can see which PBS station you are picking up by entering their actual digital channel assignment on your reciever. If the reciever jumps to 80-1 after entering the channel, that is the station you are watching. All PBS feeds will appear as 80-1 PBSDTV1 because of the PSIP. You can find DT channel listings at www.100000watts.com

Bob
OK. City PBS? Did the demo have anything on us?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is my first post to AVS Forums. I don't have a digital TV tuner yet, however.

For your information, channel 80 has been re-allocated in the early 80s for wireless services, along with channels 70 to 83. This causes some stations that existed in the 1980s to move: for example, ch. 79 (City-TV) in Toronto has became ch. 57 in 1983; ch. 78 (french-language station in Detroit) is now ch. 54, and so on.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I think the channel 80 reference for PBS is actually the DirecTV satellite channel 80, not UHF OTA channel 80.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, 80's 42.

I just replaced the Terk TV55 with a Channel Master 4228 and a Winegard 8275 preamp. With the antenna at 155 degrees (in Mt. Airy) I can pick up:

27,34,36,38,39,40,41,42,46,48,52 and 59

Channel 40's the only unstable one. The signal's generally strong, but fluctuates. Rotating the antenna a bit, I can usually stabilize it It seems that's about the only use I have for the rotator now ;)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Quote:
I think the channel 80 reference for PBS is actually the DirecTV satellite channel 80, not UHF OTA channel 80.
Not quite. DirecTV channels start at 100. There is no OTA ch 80 in this country, thats why they chose to use it for their PSIP.

They choose 80 so stations could plug the data output of their HD distribution satellite receiver right into a DTV modulator and pass HD. It removed the requirement for the station to have their own PSIP equipment. Since there are no domestic stations on 80, there is no chance with interfering with anyone.

bob

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Regarding PBS on channel 80 on DirecTV ...

I was relating to my prior experience with DirecTV passing National PBS to us on channel 80, as if it were a local, but it was not. They may have transmitted it on some other real satellite channel. If so, they mapped it to channel 80 on our DirecTV STBs. I have 3 different kinds of STBs and they all tuned to channel 80 to receive this.

Once DirecTV expanded their local channel offerings to include local PBS in major markets, they took the national PBS on channel 80 away from us. Too bad because it carried programs that our local PBS stations (we have 2 in Seattle/Tacoma) choose not to carry.

So we did receive national PBS feed on "channel 80" on DirecTV. Maybe they chose channel 80 for the same reasons as the PSIP OTA scenario?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.