AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. Our home has a distributed home audio system. This system comes with in-wall panels that I've been told never worked. I'm trying to collect some information (or solicit some help from you all!) in order to get it to work. The panels are connected to the electronics closet by a pair of wires connected to standard coax. This seems odd to me since I can't tell how power gets to the panel either.

Anyways, the first step might be to determine what kind of panel it is. Anyone have an idea of the manufacturer?

Thanks in advance.

A

·
Banned
2,481 Posts
Suggest removing the screws holding the plates in the walls and looking at what and how the wires are connected inside, and there should be manufacturer info also.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
So what's in the "electronics closet" then? Anything? Or was it taken out by the previous owners?

What do you mean by "pair of wires hooked to standard coax"? Single conductor wires? A picture would help...

But yes, start by removing the wall panel and see who made it and how it's attached. I'm guessing its an old Niles panel.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I searched for Niles and Xantech, but found nothing; probably pre-internet.

Surprised there is no 8-track button.

Pull the plate for manufacturer clues.

You say that 2 wires are 'connected to the closet'. Any chance they're connected to electronics in the closet? This may be an old Xantech IR-only keypad, that is just used to send IR commands. Yeah, 2 conductors to the keypad is somewhat limiting. You can replace the KP with an IR sensor, and use handheld remotes for control.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad  /t/1425330/mystery-in-wall-control-panel#post_22322534

Surprised there is no 8-track button.

LOL! Well, there's a CD button, so it's mid-80's at least (probably early 90's really).

I wonder if there was ever a product that had both an "8-track" and "CD" source button.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I kid, I kid.

Full disclosure - this is still in my kitchen:

Edit - except mine is yellowed and scratched.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts