AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have to tell on myself, 'cause it might be a cautionary tale of use to someone else.

This morning, I was listening to a 5.1-ch SACD when the phone rang. I turned the receiver all the way down to answer the phone, and the music was still clearly audible from the surround speakers. I had to mute the receiver to kill the music.

I was rather distracted while on the phone, trying to figure out what was wrong with my receiver. I've got a nice surge protector, but we just had a pretty good storm last night, and I wondered if the box took a power hit.

I remembered there being problems with some Pioneer Elite power supplies many years ago, and thought maybe a reset was in order. Did the reset on my TX-53, and no joy--lost all my presets and everything but still had the problem.

Finally, I did what I shoulda done in the first place, and checked my connections. I had forgotten about it until I started tracing the wires, but several weeks ago I swapped out a pair of patch cables for a better pair I had laying around. Apparently, when I did that, I carelessly plugged the surround outputs from the player into the surround pre-out connectors from the receiver. Somehow, I was backfeeding the signal through the amp in a way that was never intended, and causing sound to come out the speakers even when the volume gain was zeroed out! Guess this was just the first time I'd used the multi-channel input path since that cable swap.

Thankfully, no damage seems to have been done. I plugged the player into the correct *input* connectors, and everything's back to normal.

Sheepishly, I offer this advice: Pay attention to where you plug your stuff in!! :eek: (It's also a good idea to specifically test out all the connections at the time you make 'em.)

Jim

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.