AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I watched it.. It is a good quality BD. I thought the audio was very strong and the picture was good too. Having not seen the movie in a few years, I thought it was powerful.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Man my memory is getting bad.

I have seen this.

I thought the BD was "good". A bit soft and not a lot of close-up detail but I'm guessing that was the way it was shot originally.

Certainly film-like, with no EE or DNR.

Good movie.

FWIW, I rarely pick films to watch on the basis of PQ\\AQ ratings.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was shipped today for me to enjoy tomorrow night.

Thanks for the opinions so far on the quality. I'm surprised I haven't seen much posted on forums in my travels since this was recently released and a very good movie.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4.25 for PQ and AQ was my take. Doesn't really matter the score per se though but I know folks are curious about the quality. More importantly, I enjoyed watching it more than ever which speaks volumes for an even better experience with a great movie.

Put in on your short list, February was very dull for my personally with releases to BD and this definitely was a bright spot.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 /forum/post/18140194

Man my memory is getting bad.

I have seen this.

I thought the BD was "good". A bit soft and not a lot of close-up detail but I'm guessing that was the way it was shot originally.

Certainly film-like, with no EE or DNR.

Good movie.

FWIW, I rarely pick films to watch on the basis of PQ\\AQ ratings.

Completely agree.

The PQ was pretty mediocre imho, but it was faithful to what it was intended to be, and it just looked natural.

Just an average blu-ray, picture-wise.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Watched it tonight and the PQ was not impressive to me. It wasn't smoothied like most Warner transfers but there was some definite EE going on that was visible in almost every frame. It lent a digital look to many of the scenes, despite the evident film grain. And while I can't be sure (as I don't have the original source to compare it against), I think that the contrast was boosted as well. It's the same master as what was used for the DVD - already sharpened and boosted. It's kind of unusual for Warner, as they tend to avoid sharpening and contrast boosting in favor of filtering.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Are there any superior imports?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/0

It's a Warner title, so it should be identical across regions.

France and Asain countries sometimes have different releases when they are Warner in the US.

Edit: nvm, French and Japanese are both Warner.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I didn't think it was that bad. Most of the time the EE is not clearly delineated and almost looks like halos of the optical kind. Many shots show plenty of decent grain in the backgrounds, the biggest problem is that it tends to disappear from any area with a slightly darker shade, namely characters' faces and clothes since they're almost always in the shadows.

Not great but not terrible either, for $8 though I don't regret the purchase.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paku /forum/post/19383156

I didn't think it was that bad. Most of the time the EE is not clearly delineated and almost looks like halos of the optical kind. Many shots show plenty of decent grain in the backgrounds, the biggest problem is that it tends to disappear from any area with a slightly darker shade, namely characters' faces and clothes since they're almost always in the shadows.

Agree.. I paid $8 too, and for that price, I can live with its shortcomings. It's a really good movie, and overall the PQ was better than most Warner catalogs...

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paku /forum/post/19383156

All I can really do is disagree. The EE was a constant distraction for me throughout the entire presentation of the film. There were precious few moments where it wasn't jumping out at me. It actually bothered me far more than most Warner smoothie jobs.

One thing I can say for certain is that those were not optical halos. Definitely sharpening/edge enhancement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.