AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a Myth/Linux distro supported hardware list? I seem to recall an nVidia supported GPUs list for Myth and wonder if there is anything similar for motherboards, especially for integrated GPU and integrated sound.

I'm thinking of buying a ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 Micro ATX DDR2 801 and wonder if the Intel GMA X3500 onboard video and Realtek ALC883 integrated sound are supported by Linux. Some of the Newegg reviews mentioned the onboard Ethernet working with Linux, so is it safe to assume the video and sound also worked? I'm planning on installing Mythdora - should I search on Fedora Core forums for supported hardware?

·
Registered
8,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter /forum/post/12926577

Is there a Myth/Linux distro supported hardware list? I seem to recall an nVidia supported GPUs list for Myth and wonder if there is anything similar for motherboards, especially for integrated GPU and integrated sound.

I'm thinking of buying a ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 Micro ATX DDR2 801 and wonder if the Intel GMA X3500 onboard video and Realtek ALC883 integrated sound are supported by Linux. Some of the Newegg reviews mentioned the onboard Ethernet working with Linux, so is it safe to assume the video and sound also worked? I'm planning on installing Mythdora - should I search on Fedora Core forums for supported hardware?

Intel is one of the best supporters of Linux re: chipsets and GPU's, so without even googling, I would say no problem.

It appears the X3500 is an X3000 variant, which has been supported in Linux since 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_X3500

AFAIK, most/all ALC8xx audio chips work fine in Linux. Here is an old post from 2006 showing that it works
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...nd+acer&page=5

the ALC883 should work automatically in most current distros like Ubuntu 7.10, Mint 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007, etc. My ALC888, which is even newer than the ALC883, works fine in Mint 4.0, an Ubuntu 7.10 based distro. Realtek is another Linux/FOSS friendly hardware vendor.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - just what I needed to hear. I plan to order all the hardware for my Myth box this weekend. My only concern had been that "Linux may not support integrated chips" as someone told me. I'm going to go with Mythdora, and couldn't find any info on modern hardware support in their forums, docs, and wikies. Mythdora uses Fedora Core 6, which was released in October 2006 - hopefully it supported the integrated chips - if not, I'll switch to Mythbuntu.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts