AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hearing that plasma screens have something like a 60-70% failure rate. Is this true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,172 Posts
Worse than myth: Disinformation.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jooce
I'm hearing that plasma screens have something like a 60-70% failure rate. Is this true?
are you referring to a particular model?


where did you hear this?


clearly this is Disinformation for plasmas in general
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
I think those might have been figures bandied about in early production runs..ie, number of usable panels off an assembly line....where I too heard that the failure rate was substantial, hence the increased costs vs other display types. Was/is that a myth?


Mort
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,172 Posts
The yield of a plant measures how many are good off the line Mort. And no plasma plant is anywhere near as bad as 30-40% yield. If it were, the displays would cost far, far more.


The $3000 plasma has a PDP module (the panel part) in it that is probably wholesaling at
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,295 Posts
Hello,


Just ran into a fellow the other day in a store who stated that plasmas do leak and have to be refilled.


Is it true that stores have to have specially constructed ventilation systems to collect the plasma gases leaking from the display units? What is the acceptable PPM for plasma?


Best regards,


Paul "gassed" Bigelow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Bigelow
Hello,


Just ran into a fellow the other day in a store who stated that plasmas do leak and have to be refilled.


Is it true that stores have to have specially constructed ventilation systems to collect the plasma gases leaking from the display units? What is the acceptable PPM for plasma?


Best regards,


Paul "gassed" Bigelow
If you use the new plasmatrophic 5000, it can detect less than 150PPM. Mine reads at about 300PPM which is well below the FDA regulated 1500PPM which was established under the General Assembly Semiconducter Schedule for Extended Definition Displays (or G.A.S.S.E.D.D.) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jooce
I'm hearing that plasma screens have something like a 60-70% failure rate. Is this true?
Shouldn't there be an entry on snopes.com about this urban legend by now?


Roger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by technofan
... a product that fails 2 out of 3 times.....
That would make you a superstar if you were a professional baseball player.:D :D :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Catalyst
If you use the new plasmatrophic 5000, it can detect less than 150PPM. Mine reads at about 300PPM which is well below the FDA regulated 1500PPM which was established under the General Assembly Semiconducter Schedule for Extended Definition Displays (or G.A.S.S.E.D.D.) :D
I had mine refilled with nitrous, so we just giggle a lot when it leaks.;)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,569 Posts
I am troubled that a new visitor to this Forum might misunderstand some of the information in this thread:


-the failure rate, in general, of plasmas is very low- the numbers quoted by the thread starter is a MYTH


-you NEVER have to refill or recharge a plasma- that is nonsense


-as to laser zapping of bad pixels- I am skeptical but started a new thread here for anyone to comment if they have information to add


Thank you
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top