AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running MythDora 4.0 and I got everything working accept spdif ( digital sound ). My mytherboard is a ASUS with NVIDIA chipset with builtin sound. I have tried everything I read on the internet to make this work, but nothing. I also have a DENON 4306 and it seems to notice that the connection is there, but no sound. Do I need another sound card?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
It also depends on which ASUS MB you have, some of their onboard sound chips may not be compatable. However, if ALSA defaults to the analog outputs, then that may, indeed, be the probem (the SPDIF output needs to be activated). If you are getting sound out of your PC speakers (or connect a set, if you haven't already), then activation of the SPDIF should be the problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a ASUS A8N-SLI with nVidia nForce4 chipset and a Realtek ALC850 audio chip. I installed Ubuntu 7.04 and got no sound from the S/PDIF.

After extensive searching and trying, I found this solution, which works fine for me:

- In a terminal window digit alsamixer ;

- go right with the arrow until you find the IEC958 settings ;

- set IEC958 to 00 ;

- set IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA to 0 ;

- set IEC958 Playback Source to PCM ;

- hit Escape .

To change the settings use the up/down arrows and to change MM to 00 (and viceversa) hit the M key.

You should hear sound from the S/PDIF just after having set the three values above, even before hitting Escape.

The other settings in alsamixer are not relevant for S/PDIF.

Let me know if it works for you.

Michele

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.