AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as passive soundbars that need a receiver, but don't depend on the characteristics of the room, these two seem to be the best ones out there for $1100 or less. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

So I'm wondering .. Is the SSA-50 really worth the extra change and if so, why? Any opinions?

I have a family room that is open to the kitchen seating area and then the kitchen itself. In other words, a pretty big rectangle probably 50 feet deep. Windows and sliding glass door on one side. Couple hall way openings on the other.

For now, I'd connect either to my old Yamaha HTR with optical cable from components (Bluray player, STB and, for Netflix, the TV) just get the audio. Video would be direct HDMI from STB and BR player to the TV.

Both of these seem a bit long in the tooth, so I'm wondering if one is that much better than the other and, frankly, if there are any newer options that are as good for around the same price or cheaper.

Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have the same room situation as you and I consider the SSA50 very worth it.

The larger drivers make most of the difference.

I previously had the original Polk SurroundBar and the DefTech unit is worlds better in clarity and surround effects.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts